1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

DRW Dana 80 to SRW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRW Dana 80 to SRW?

Hey guys, I just got a 94 dodge cummins 4x4 truck for parts. It has a dana 80 with posi that I would like to put in my F-250 Problem is it's a duelly. What do you have to do to change one over to SRW? Also any cheep way to do disk's?

Thanks
Brenden
Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if its posible to make it a SRW. I haven't heard of a application with a Dana80 that is SRW but if there is you could get a hub from that unit to make it work.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM

Dana 80 Swap

Mine is 91 4x4 W350 longbox. Came stock with Dana 70 posi SRW. My bearings started to make noise so I found a replacement, .....
95 3500 Dually 4x4 Dana 80 Posi. I measured everything I could think of and my partner said lets just put the darn thing on. Took the old one out. Retained my springs since the new one did not have them attached. New u-bolts required had them made $25. Shocks were retained and work fine. Shock mounts were in the way and would not work(position). Retained shock plates from my old axle and they bolted right up. Used my old 4 inch blocks even though they were not the exact size, they work fine. Emergency brake cables were not the same at all so retained the front part already on the truck and had custom cables made for the back just under $100 . The lugs for the rear wheels were larger and wanted them to match so took off the front wheels drove the lugs out and replaced with new matching to the rear another $40 . The wheel hub hole works fine on front now to tight on the rear. Removed 5 wheels and with a round sanding wheel
removed about a 64th/inch of material or less and now they all slide on just fine. Brake lines no problem. Now for the hard part. I was worried about axle width since the donor truck was a dually and mine is a SRW. The wheels bolted right up no problem and fit in the wheel well perfectly and the whole set up works great. Put in new factory specified Posi gear oil . Some people of knowledge have told me they made 4 differant widths of axles depending on application, with totally differant wheels Dually to SRW I had it in my head it just would not work. I must be lucky.
Stand 10 or 20 feet from the truck the only thing you notice is that the rear wheel hub sticks way out like the front does not a problem for me.
I bought 2 hubcaps from a junk yard for the front, put them on the rear and it looks like it was born that way. I would measure tires outside to outside on my truck then actually take them off and mount them on the donor axle on the ground and measure again if you are within 1/2 or 1 inch I would call that good to go. Good luck, great project.!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
I don't know if its posible to make it a SRW. I haven't heard of a application with a Dana80 that is SRW but if there is you could get a hub from that unit to make it work.
2nd gen SRW trucks with a 5spd got at D80 rear.

You can swap the hubs from a SRW on the DRW axle, but I don't know how the widths and brakes work out.

I can tell you the 2nd gen alxes are wider than the 1st. I was looking at swapping a 2nd gen axle into my 93 until I measured it to be 5.5" wider.