1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

DRove Nv4500 p-pumper 2nd gen and Im hooked!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRove Nv4500 p-pumper 2nd gen and Im hooked!!

Well, Drove my brothers 96 p-pumper nv4500 100hp fuel plate, 4k, 60lb valve spring, s300 turbo and Im hooked!! Making 45psi and pulls like a mule. He picked it up for 3500 and we put all that stuff on this weekend!!

So, I found a 195k p-pumper with a blow head gsk for 800, motor runs good just leaking. Now I want to find a Nv I think and ditch the 47rh.. really like rowing the gears.. Nothing important just wanted to share!! Don't know if a built 47rh would be as fun as a 5spd now that I drove one that runs good..
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats. If you want to go fast, an auto is the way to go. If you just want the power, not looking for a good 1/4 mile time, then get the stick. You can upgrade them a lot cheaper.

Keep us updated on the build. Take pictures!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a built auto, 5spd, and 6spd. It is fun rowing gears, but it gets old. IMO a properly built AT will walk all over a manual.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I can speed shift my NV4500, and I would never run a slush box. I don't like fighting with an auto. There is nothing like spooling the turbo, heel toe style in the lights and banging gears down the strip. The only time the manual is annoying is in a long, slow traffic jam. I sometimes just put it in low range and creep along in low.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I can speed shift my NV4500, and I would never run a slush box. I don't like fighting with an auto. There is nothing like spooling the turbo, heel toe style in the lights and banging gears down the strip. The only time the manual is annoying is in a long, slow traffic jam. I sometimes just put it in low range and creep along in low.
been there done that . i've dropped mine in 1st, engaged the clutch and idled for quite a while coming through indio on the 10. could almost fall asleep though .

p-pumps have A LOT of power potential. easy to make 400hp as compared to our VE's. not as many free adjustments though but still cheaper mods/upgrades available.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take my 4500 over an auto anyday of the week, Yes a good auto will beat a stick in the 1/4 mile but I like to row gears and I can bang em with my 4500 with the best of em.

Most of the time I don't even notice that I'm shifting, just kinda second nature I guess, been driving sticks as daily drivers since I turned 16
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
I'll take my 4500 over an auto anyday of the week, Yes a good auto will beat a stick in the 1/4 mile but I like to row gears and I can bang em with my 4500 with the best of em.

Most of the time I don't even notice that I'm shifting, just kinda second nature I guess, been driving sticks as daily drivers since I turned 16
Agreed.. I know its not the same as our trucks but I could shift my mustangs 5 speed, text and eat a hamburger at the same time. You get so good at it that you forget your doing it. Too funny when you drive a stick everyday and then drive someones automatic. Cracks me up when I look for the clutch to start it
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Gotta love it when your about to grab another gear and you stab the brake pedal and reach for a shifter that ain't there in an auto and your passenger(s) look at you like WTH are you doin.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the hijack bud but I remember one time i was backing out of a gas station parking lot in my ex gfs Nissan Moreno and I stabbed for the clutch that wasnt there and attempted to throw it into first while still rolling backwards.. Works well in a manual but first in an automatic car with the shifter in the console is park.. LOL man it made a nasty noise and everyone in the parkin lot was lookin at me. Thank god she didnt care but man was I embarrassed.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok well I don't want to hijack this thread either. But for you that have done the nv "upgrade" have you cut the shifter down. I swear My shifter is at the top of the dash (have an nv4500 in the single cab now)! I was thinking about cutting 6" or so out of it and Putting a T handle on it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
Ok well I don't want to hijack this thread either. But for you that have done the nv "upgrade" have you cut the shifter down. I swear My shifter is at the top of the dash (have an nv4500 in the single cab now)! I was thinking about cutting 6" or so out of it and Putting a T handle on it.
I have a "T" handle on mine, but I would prefer a pistol grip. I shift holding the shifter down about 6" half the time so I probably ought to cut mine down. I would love to get the short shift kit, but it's high dollar.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM

id like to put a NV in my truck, same with a P pump and an HT3B under my HX35 but i dont have the money for all of it because of diesel vo-tech. I cant wait till we dyno our new (well very used) N14s that we got from junkyards are rebuilding and also dyno our transmissions that we are rebuilding to...well take apart and put together. I drew a RTO 12513. (Roadranger Transmission, Overdrive. 1250 rated torque max rpm, 13 speed). i wanted to draw an 18 speed tho. oh well. sorry for the hyjack back to subject. I hear it would be easier to swap to a 2nd gen engine BUT if anyone is like me and if you know how your engine runs and runs good you'd keep it, or i would anyways. Buying a 2nd gen engine off the net OR junkyard, unless you knew the person who owned it before you you dont know how it runs. Since nothing was ever made the same and all run a little or very different. so personally id buy all the parts to make the 1st gen engine a P-pump without changing pistions because i hear the bowls arent that different. Thats just my opinion. again sorry for the hijack
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM

ive only ridden in one 2nd gen ppumper, built auto. downright violent. supposed to dyno at the 475 range. those are good trucks, especially if you can find the 4500 dana 80 low miler. the frame is also vastly superior to ours.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
been there done that . i've dropped mine in 1st, engaged the clutch and idled for quite a while coming through indio on the 10. could almost fall asleep though .

p-pumps have A LOT of power potential. easy to make 400hp as compared to our VE's. not as many free adjustments though but still cheaper mods/upgrades available.
yea there not quite as many free adjustments but the basic mods that can be done are very cheap. Timing is also not as easy to adjust.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by archer39
yea there not quite as many free adjustments but the basic mods that can be done are very cheap. Timing is also not as easy to adjust.
yeah, adjusting spill timing is a little more involved. it's been so long since my diesel tech classes that i've forgotten

Quick Reply: DRove Nv4500 p-pumper 2nd gen and Im hooked!!