1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

The dreaded headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The dreaded headlight switch

Hi all,

Well, it is my turn for the darn headlight switch issue. The factory switch popped about a week ago, and upon installing a new switch from the local auto parts store, everything worked great.... For about a week. Then, while driving, I lost all dash lights and running lights again. Same thing that had happened before, so I swapped the switch for another one, and after installation, I still haven't running lights or dash lights. I checked all wires and none are burnt through, and look to be in good condition. All fuses are brand new, and all of the dash lights are brand new LED bulbs as well. I don't know what else it could be, unless I am missing something during installation.

Any tips to help me get this figured out would be much appreciated... Electrical stuff is not my thing, and to say I can't stand electrical problems would be an understatement.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
check all fusible links. next time you need to replace that switch, find one in a junk yard. i'd rather have a 25 year old OEM switch than a chinese auto parts store unit. i have 3-4 of these from parts trucks i've had. also, put your headlights on relays and never burn out the switch again.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j.fonder
check all fusible links. next time you need to replace that switch, find one in a junk yard. i'd rather have a 25 year old OEM switch than a chinese auto parts store unit. i have 3-4 of these from parts trucks i've had. also, put your headlights on relays and never burn out the switch again.
I totally agree.....kinda. I joined this forum for this exact problem a few years ago. When I got my truck, someone had a universal headlight switch running instead of the factory. Guy said he couldn't find the problem, and gave up. I rolled tin foil to make it home, (and yes, I smelled burning) I gave up until I found the wiring diagram in the sticky above. 91.5 if I remember correctly. Long story short, I rewired my truck from bumper to bumper before I found it. Of all the hacked up wiring people had done over the years, the problem ended up being Dodge's fault. A wire in the factory harness way up above the steering column, that nobody had ever molested was kinda bent, and had eventually rubbed through the insulation. Took me a long time to find, but solved all problems. I also did Jim's relay harness for the headlights while I was at it. Awesome upgrade by the way. I've used the same harness for two 70's fords since. Use the sticky, it's awesome. Hopefully it's not a Chinese headlight switch, cause I agree, they suck. Good luck man.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by haultruck
I totally agree.....kinda. I joined this forum for this exact problem a few years ago. When I got my truck, someone had a universal headlight switch running instead of the factory. Guy said he couldn't find the problem, and gave up. I rolled tin foil to make it home, (and yes, I smelled burning) I gave up until I found the wiring diagram in the sticky above. 91.5 if I remember correctly. Long story short, I rewired my truck from bumper to bumper before I found it. Of all the hacked up wiring people had done over the years, the problem ended up being Dodge's fault. A wire in the factory harness way up above the steering column, that nobody had ever molested was kinda bent, and had eventually rubbed through the insulation. Took me a long time to find, but solved all problems. I also did Jim's relay harness for the headlights while I was at it. Awesome upgrade by the way. I've used the same harness for two 70's fords since. Use the sticky, it's awesome. Hopefully it's not a Chinese headlight switch, cause I agree, they suck. Good luck man.
I have all of the equipment to do Jim's headlight relay, and was planning on doing that now that I have the new switch in. However, since the switch isn't working, I'm stalling. There is a prong on the bottom of the headlight switch that looks like it should have a spade connector hooked to it from the factory wiring... Could I just be missing something in my installation?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Look at the connector in a good light. You'll see 1 or 2 terminals discolored, or missing their plating. Those have been hot, and have lost their temper. The heat generated in those loose connections migrates into the cheap switch and kills it.

New connector, switch, and put in headlight relays. If you have a 1 ton, chicken lights, or tow, also put a relay on the tail light circuit.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Hey, JMartin, I'm embarrassed to ask this question. I've seen lights referred to as chicken lights for awhile now, and have never known what this was referring to. School me, plz
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey, JMartin, I'm embarrassed to ask this question. I've seen lights referred to as chicken lights for awhile now, and have never known what this was referring to. School me, plz
Like these.
Attached Thumbnails The dreaded headlight switch-chicken1.png  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Extra lights on a truck. Some 18 wheelers will have a couple hundred of them.

Rumored to have started with a chicken processing outfit in the NorthEast, probably as an advertising gimmick. The schtick was "fresh and fast to the market." The trucks were lit up like Broadway and usually speeding.

So now, extra lights on any truck are called chicken lights.

They actually serve a function, making trucks both easier to see, especially in inclement weather, and shedding enough light so night maneuvers in close quarters are easier.