1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Drag racing this weekend. improve time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drag racing this weekend. improve time?

We got a 15.45 with whats done to the first truck in my sig. i was thinkin we could undo the clamp where the downpipe and the exhuast connect and wire the exhaust up so exhaust exits right out of the downpipe and avoids the stock 3 inch exhuast. you think this will help??
Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If your truck has the automatic transmission fluid heat exchanger that's mounted under the turbo, pinch closed one of the two engine coolant lines that supplies the exchanger. It'll keep the fluid temps cooler, thus thicker fluid, thus a little tighter connection.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
If your truck has the automatic transmission fluid heat exchanger that's mounted under the turbo, pinch closed one of the two engine coolant lines that supplies the exchanger. It'll keep the fluid temps cooler, thus thicker fluid, thus a little tighter connection.
i will look, but what do you mean a little tighter connection. you mean like shifts?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about the exhaust. I usually make sure to have all the extra crap cleaned up out of the truck, take out bed liner if equipped, tailgate, tools, tool box etc. That stuff all adds up. I try to make sure I dont have a full tank of gas as that fuel is heavy as well. How bad are you spinning? Im in the same boat as you with the open diff, it sucks!! Do you still have the stock converter?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
i will look, but what do you mean a little tighter connection. you mean like shifts?
I mean a tighter connection in your torque converter.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MiniC
Not sure about the exhaust. I usually make sure to have all the extra crap cleaned up out of the truck, take out bed liner if equipped, tailgate, tools, tool box etc. That stuff all adds up. I try to make sure I dont have a full tank of gas as that fuel is heavy as well. How bad are you spinning? Im in the same boat as you with the open diff, it sucks!! Do you still have the stock converter?
Well, yea it spins out of the hole alot. the 15.45 i got was a hot hot night and i eased it out of the hole then mashed it and still spun a lil bit. if i floor off the line then its done tooo much torque. you have to take it easy off the line. Also sometimes i do a burnout and get pass. tire heated up but then i floor it out off the line and the not heated dr. tire spins ... i have stock converter but the trans has a shift kit and synthetic fluid.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either leave the stock steel spare tire under the bed, if equipped, or throw one in the bed, this will help a bunch with traction. Leave your exhaust hooked up, that sounds silly.