1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Drag Link Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag Link Replacement

My drag link (center link?) is worn and loose at the axle end. When I rotated tires yesterday, I noticed bad wear on the front left tire &gt;, and this loose joint is what I found. Looks like this is a one piece deal and the whole thing must be replaced, not just the bad end. I have read that Moog seems to be the brand that folks have the best luck with.<br><br>Any other hints before I go shopping for a replacement? A search didn't show any info except for 2WD.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Drag Link Replacement

I just changed my center link out and yes it is a one piece replacement. But while you have it off, check the idler link and pitman arm joints to ensure they don't need replacement as well. <br><br>I was just going to install the center link, but after I got it off I found the idler link to be toast. Testing it on the truck with a bar etc I couldn't tell that the idler link was FUBAR, but once I got it off it was pretty loose.<br><br>Good luck<br><br>J-eh
Old 12-09-2002, 03:56 PM

Thanks Lil Dog. I don't believe I have the other items you mention. Mine is 4WD, and has the arm from the steering box, the center link, and an arm on the axle. Then there's the tie rod, but I believe that's it. This is the only thing in the linkage that seems to be loose. <br><br>The different prices I've found are interesting.<br>******* $170.80 (ahhh, no thanks! )<br>NAPA (Moog DS914) $80.94<br>A couple other local parts stores (Moog DS914) $102 &amp; $104.<br><br>Another interesting thing is that apparently, the W150, 250 and 350 all use the same link??<br><br>
Old 12-09-2002, 09:01 PM

Just replaced mine with one from autozone ($88.00) with a lifetime warranty. Most parts stores I called had them with lifetime warranty for under $100.00. If it goes bad they'll be gettin it back.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:07 AM

That's a good point. Hadn't thought about the warranty, and I plan to keep this truck a long time. ;D I can't stand dealing with Autozone, but I called them just to compare prices. The woman said they didn't show a number, and couldn't get me one. ???
Old 12-10-2002, 09:40 AM

I agree, their service sucks and hate dealing with them myself. The part # on my recpt. says 25940
Old 12-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd personally stick with MOOG.. I had nothing but trouble with other parts on my 89 a few years ago and MOOG was the only one that lasts. Its worth the extra $$ to get MOOG.<br><br>And I thought the 4X4 did have the idler link, sorry. :-[<br><br>J-eh
Old 12-10-2002, 03:36 PM

No problem! I'll stick with the Moog even if they won't warranty it. Thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:09 PM

Got the part at NAPA. They said it is made by Moog and has a lifetime warranty, as long as I don't bend it in half from abuse. ;D I'll put it on tomorrow, after convincing the old one to come off.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:15 PM

Haven't had a chance to post 'til now, but I did replace it last weekend. Wasn't too bad to get the old one off. I don't have a flame wrench, so I was hoping it wouldn't give me much trouble. Sure made the truck drive better. No more play in the steering now.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:29 AM

Update:<br><br>After replacing the drag link last December, The steering box end became loose on the new link. &gt; NAPA gave me a new one no problem, and it was a lot easier to replace this time. Not sure why the other one wore out so quickly, but I noticed the tire wear again, and found it loose.<br><br>The problem now is that my steering wheel is about 1/8 turn to the right when I'm going straight down the road. This tells me the length of the new link is off a bit. Is there a way to adjust this out? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Pull the steering wheel off and move it over one spline . . .<br><br>On mine it is pretty easy to do -- I am not sure if you have a fancier steering wheel than I do. Make sure that you are carefull with the &quot;reel&quot; (or clock-spring) for the electrical connections -- if that gets moved it will bind up and tear . . . I just used a generic harmonic balancer, etc. puller.<br><br>Good luck,<br><br>Alec
Old 07-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would not move the steering wheel at all. I would adjust the steering linkage up front to compensate for the offset you have now. You should get an alignment done or at least get someone to follow you down the road and make sure the truck is not crabbing. By not geting the steering wheel back on center with the linkage, you are covering up a problem somewhere else but this is just my 2 pennies here.