1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dosent seam to upshift after slowing downlots

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
dosent seam to upshift after slowing downlots

howdy, well im still slowly tuning my transmission in, but i was driving around yesterday and took notice that my A518 will not upshift after i slow down lots and continue driving, but once i put it in park and then start off it will shift, also the shifting is some what sloppy after and before it's warmed up , the bands have never been tightened since new, i should probly do that, anyway it seams that i have to do colum shifting most the time due to it not shifting up after i have slowed down lots it almost feels like it stays in 3rd. but taking off rom lights it seams to shift.
Gregg
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gregg,

Drop your valve body and take it apart. Sometimes the pistons get stuck. Lightly sand them with 600 grit and check if it fits smoothly in its bore. Maybe something got caught in the bore. Change the fluid and filter while you're at it.
Hope this helps you some.

Aloha,
Matt
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not jump in and drop the valve body right away. There is a very good chance the governor valve in the tail section of the trans is stuck and making the valve body think the trans is going forward when its really stopped. Putting it in park removes fluid flow from the governor so it probably resets itself.

If you can, I would put a pressure gauge on the port just left of center and measure the pressure. It should be 0psi stopped and every mph will be approximately 1psi. If everything checks out and the pressure comes back to 0psi when you stop and it doesn't downshift then you have a problem in the valve body. If the pressure stays above 0psi after you stopped on that port the governor is getting stuck and will need attention at some point, but you can always shift it manually if you have too. Try to avoid 3rd gear starts, its very hard on the front clutch pack.