1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Doh! Truck won't start Pt II

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Doh! Truck won't start Pt II

Tried again this morning.

1. The clamp for the tank-to-transfer pump was not tight, so I fixed that,
2. The filter/separator has plenty of fuel in it,
3. When I try the priming lever on the transfer pump, I can hear it pumping fuel, and can hear fuel pumping through various lines near the injector pump,
4. But as soon as I stop pumping the lever, I can hear fuel coming back towards the transfer pump.

This sounds like an air leak to me now.

The left side engine pics I've found here don't look much like the side of my engine. The injection pump and fuel shutoff solenoid are completely different than mine. Anyone had an illustration of the left side of a '91.5 with intercooler?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 AM

Oh, and as I mentioned in "Doh! Truck won't start Pt I", the truck started and ran perfectly for 20 minutes immediately after I installed the new transfer pump.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you have fuel at the bleed screw on the filter? Do you have fuel at the injectors if you crack a line? This may be something as simple as you bumped the wires to the shutoff solenoid while changing the pump and the connection is bad.

Like I posted in the other thread, run the fuel from the lift pump through a piece of clear tube to make sure it's not sucking air.

This may also be biodiesel related, the biodiesel is not kind to our old pumps.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:15 AM

Hi Dave,

Nice to hear from you again. I see you've killed another 17 KDPs since you did mine in April!

Today I'll check the connections to the shutoff solenoid. I have not cracked an injector yet, but the Cummins guy in Greensboro told me last night that I should first crack the line from the transfer pump to the injection pump, then turn the engine over a few times. Will this accomplish the same thing as cracking a line to one of the cylinders?

I'll try the clear tube trick as well.

I'm only using B20 and adding a cetane additive anyway, so hopefully it's not too much of a shock to the system.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a funnel at least a quart in size and attach a fuel line to it. Run it down to the input on the lift pump. See if it will start that way once bled. Sounds to me like your line to the tank has a leak. This will eliminate that possibility.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:58 PM

I'll try that tomorrow. I didn't get a chance to replace lines today.

I did notice that the brass elbow which scews into the fuel input on the transfer pump was unaccountably loose, and turned another full turn with a wrench.

I can only figure that when I put it on the parts were cold (it was 40 degrees when I assembled all this stuff) and maybe the parts expanded once it was warmer (65 today)?????

When tracing the transfer pump-to-injector pump fuel line in order to bleed air out there, I noticed that the two-bolt assembly holding the line into the pump was loose at the pump. Apparently it has been loose for a while. The brass fitting had been threaded incorrectly and turning it turned everything. Holding the base portion with a wrench had no effect and I ruined the fuel line getting all that off to replace the brass fitting.

So, another part to replace...