1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Doggin' tha Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doggin' tha Turbo Diesel

My new Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab is so sweet I think my girlfriend gets jeleous......oh, well......IT'S WORTH IT!!!!<br><br>The question.......<br>I have 1k miles on her (the Dodge). I was dropping my girl off at the airport today and was getting a little heavy on the throttle (a.k.a &quot;droppin tha hammer&quot. I notice the sound of the Turbo....a kind on &quot;whistle and suck&quot; when I gun the engine and take my foot off the pedal repetitively (no worries..I am a mature, safe driver). Sometimes, there is a mechanical &quot;gear meshing&quot; type sound from the turbo too. Is this normal? Is it bad to &quot;dog tha turbo diesel&quot; like that.<br><br>Any advice is appreciated.<br><br>HAPPY THANX GIVIN' !<br>Tom
Old 11-28-2002, 08:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Doggin' tha Turbo Diesel

I think woofing the turbo like that is just fine. Unless of course you want it to last very long ;D I don't believe I would make a habit of that.
I have seen others talk about that here and they all seem to agree that is something you should avoid. I don't know what that gear meshing sound is though, always hard to describe sounds or diagnose them here.
Enjoy that CTD!
Oh and Welcome to the site!
Old 11-28-2002, 08:59 PM

Tom;<br>Welcome to the site.<br>I hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 11-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)

Hey! Thank Ye Both!<br><br>I will be spendin' alot of time here....(a'nuther reason to make that girl jeleous! &gt;..........<br><br>I will be updatin' my profile with plenty of details and pics of the Dodge.......she's my &quot;Main Bi$&amp;H!&quot;<br>Tom
Old 12-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Commonly referred to as &quot;barking the turbo&quot; also. What happens is, the little huffer (turbocharger) builds up pressure in response to your weight or pressure on the go fast pedal (accelerator) as it should. Now the exhaust pressure is spinning the wheel (turbo shaft) somewhere around 100000 rpums (give or take a few thousand) taking in fresh air on one side and stuffing it into the discharge nozzle and everyone is happy. When you let off the go fast pedal like that under a load, the driving force, exhaust pressure/heat or flow, is greatly decreased and there is nothing to keep the little wheel spinning. Now, the pressure (air molecules) that it (the turbo) has just stuffed into the housing is trying to come back out through the wheel that just stuffed it in there. Kinda like blowing the wrong way on a pinwheel once you get it going in the right direction. <br>This is my simplified explanation for what you are hearing from the turbo. Hope this helps. I try not to do it anymore than possible.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:27 PM

on a gas motor (where the throttle actually closes) this is where a blow off valve comes in to save the day. But since a diesel runs full air all the time, is this really of much concern? The does have somewhere to go, unlike a gas motor without a BOV