1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dogde rims for 1990 dually

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down dogde rims for 1990 dually

hello
I am looking for a source for dually rims for my semi stock 1990 d350 .I just rebuilt the entire suspension front to back and wanna drive ! .The rebuilt suspension was in a d30 dump truck 10,000 lb plus and now working on the rims and tires .Unfortunately out of six rims two are bent ones is pretty bad looks like it hit a curb , Any one have some for sale ? I checked out Arrow in MI and South west in Texas no go . I checked all of auto recyclers here I Canada where I live
and found one auto recycler in Nova Scotia yaaaa .But he doesn't want to ship them probably bent too LOL So any one got any or knows where to get some ?? yes they are coined dually 16 and bone stock 235 85 r 16 tires

tech-eh
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why a no-go from Southwest? Will they not ship to Canada? If you want stockers, apart from the classifieds here and other forums you could try car-parts.com. If you want to upgrade, I'm not really sure. There's gotta be someone up there who deals in wheels... There's always c.list and fleabay... oh, and craiglook.com as well. Lets you search the whole U.S., and possibly Ca too.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the interchangeability of Ford & Dodge within certain year ranges. You may be able to locate a set of the Fords up there cheaper and they may be more plentiful. I had a mixed set of Ford and Dodge wheels here at one time. Make a jig if you need to drill the extra locating hole.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM

South West can get pricey shipping to Ontario,; a $26- 15" trailer was $103- with FedEx ground charges, then there will be duty to pay on top of that. These were odd size for a trailer and I just couldn't find one here. FWIW they are 5" bold center, whereas the vast majority in this style are 4.5" BC
Old 08-25-2010, 03:20 PM

Well it looks like I have found some Ford rims that may work going to check them out tomorrow . South West said no can do ! As to the locating pin will drill hole using the rim as a jig . A steady eye and progressive drilling should make it work out . Rolled pin hammered or quarter inch stud threaded ?
. But I am going to try two tapered lug nut first to see how it drives on the road so as Trebor said mixed rims Ford on the front and Dodge on the back or I might go Ford all around . Gives a new meaning to the words mixed marshal arts ...it should read mixed major parts LOL ps kids are now calling the truck bolt !

Last edited by tech-eh; 08-25-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added ps
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 PM

hi folks
so today I got the ford rims cleaned up and tried to get new tires put on and the tire center was just a buzz as they believed the mixed rims were unsafe !!! Flat Fords on the front . Dodge coined dually s on the back . They felt it was wrong and the Ford rims needed a center hub for support ummmm lets see 5000 lb front axle eight stud 140 lb torque centered on studs with no movement umm on a 350 pick up truck with a short box on it . A seven thousand lb rear axel dully rear all rebiult ummmm so they lost my busness and every body I know
left with no tires changed or check for run out or balanced they and I'm still looking for a rim or two or thinking of coining the fords ...heat and a large 50 ton press comes to mind >
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM

I think Wannadiesel can confirm this; The Dodges are lug centric and not hub centric. This is why you need two tapered lugs to center the wheels on the hubs before you torque the lug nuts. Maybe your tire shop services a lot more Fords and not many early Dodges?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
PM sent
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trebor
I think Wannadiesel can confirm this; The Dodges are lug centric and not hub centric. This is why you need two tapered lugs to center the wheels on the hubs before you torque the lug nuts. Maybe your tire shop services a lot more Fords and not many early Dodges?
I think this is so. There's a write up in the Sticky.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have coined, tubeless, 16 inch 1st gen dually wheels coming out my ears.

Never heard of using 2 tapered lug nuts to center them up, technically, the location pins help to center the wheels, as well as the coins center them to each other.

Mark.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Due to owners of older trucks with split-ring wheels searching every available source for single-piece rims, good used un-damaged ton wheels to fit any of the big three makes are rare as hen's teeth.

I have NEVER put a junk-yard wheel on the balance arbor and it not be warped to some extent --- never ---; likewise with most wheels bought sight-un-seen.

I am not certain of this, but I am almost sure that the HUB-CENTRIC flat-faced FORD wheels will work on the 1st Gen. and center just as on the Ford, PROVIDING you also use the Ford flange-washered nuts, NOT those crappy solid flanged Dodge nuts that should be tossed into a pond.

The dowel/roll-pin/whatever serves no purpose whatsoever but to line up the holes for valve-stem access.

You can knock them out, grind them away, or otherwise discard them with no loss of mounting integrity.

Many many concerns sell brand-new DRW wheels in both hub-centric Ford style and coined early Ford/Dodge style; we buy them for customers trucks all the time, so they are not extinct by any means.

We have been paying around a hundred-bucks apiece for them lately.

Like I already said, I have NEVER found an un-warped wheel to fit anything that came from a junk-yard.

They put the good wheels on the rebuildable wrecks and single out and sell the warped ones.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM

The locating pin aids in keeping the wheels in a locked position together so they do not rotate on the hub flanges and egg out the lug holes in the rims like the earlier GM's trucks did. This pin also seems to be the reason as to how they got away with using the flat lug nut. Retaining this "pin" [which by the way goes back to the 1930's cars that used lug bolts] to me is one of the very few things Dodge engineering did right for a change.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
Never heard of using 2 tapered lug nuts to center them up, technically, the location pins help to center the wheels, as well as the coins center them to each other.
While the coining will help with keeping the two wheels aligned with each other, it does not align the center of the wheel in relation to the center of the axle. With the tapered lug nuts, it centers the log hole in the rim to the stud which is centered in relation to the center of the axle.

The locating pin hole in the wheel is elongated slightly to allow slight shift to achieve center when mounting the rims to the axle. If you have not had a vibration due to the wheels being mounted slightly off centered, then you have been fortunate.

The manual states that tapered lug nuts are to be used to centered the rims to the axle.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 PM

Excuse my ingnorance, but what does coining mean?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Coining" is the raised area around the lugnut holes, and is alternated from the front to backside of the wheel.
This coining mates into the alternate recesses on each side of the wheel, front and backside.
This machining procedure is designed to eliminate wheel "walk" where the wheels meet, and is also used, to a degree, to align the wheels more squarely to each other.

Mark.

Quick Reply: dogde rims for 1990 dually