1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Doesn't start on first crank sometimes like it used to? ground down FSS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't start on first crank sometimes like it used to? ground down FSS?

Well my truck doesn't start on the first touch of the key anymore, it will crank and crank and crank the first time then if you let off and then go to crank it again with it will fire right up. It only seems to do this sometimes, usually when the truck is warm, in the cold it seems to fire fine, or if the truck has been sitting a while it will fire right up. If its been running and turn it off then turn it on again it will only start on the 2nd crank.

It never did this til I put on this Airdog lift pump and advanced my timing a tooth. When i turn the key on the airdog comes on and I go to crank and it won't fire but if I go to crank the 2nd time, the airdog changes pitch(as if its pushing fuel or has a load) and then it fires that time. A while ago I ground down my FSS plunger to the metal and its been shutting the truck down fine ever since (with my cooldown timer). I am wondering if its sticking now or not getting enough power to open the FSS the first time since my relay switch for the airdog is also hooked into the FSS? Or if the increased pressure from the airdog before startup is trying to keep the FSS closed? Is it my Fuel Shutoff Solenoid? Or is it my pump? or is it sucking air? I'm thinkin its gotta be the FSS but its just odd it does it sometimes. Its bothering me cuz it used to fire right up, and now it'll just crank and crank til I cycle it again and people look at me like my truck is a piece of junk
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's losing prime... Sounds like it. You crank the 1st time and get it all primed up enough for the head and rotor to get some fuel. You stop but the airdog keeps pumping in fuel. By the time you crank again, its full...

Or your timing is WAY advance.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM

well I have my timing jumped a tooth and and had it lined up with stock lines and at about 2500 rpm it would start to sputter and shudder and I never went past that so I backed it off and retarded it a bit and it seemed to sputter at 1100-1200 while reving in neutral but once put it drive with a load it would clear up fine and once you get past that rpm spot it runs great.

I thought I read once that BC847's truck always starts on the 2nd crank now since he ground down the plunger also, so I was wondering if its normal? but it didn't do this til i put the airdog on. It acts like the FSS doesn't open til you cycle the once
Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 AM

what if you try cycling the key on/off/on/start?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the opposite of losing prime, ... cold start is fine he says. In a gasser that would be flooding but with diesel I dunno. The only thing that will keep mine from starting is the Fuel solenoid. Try hot wiring the solenoid and see what happens,

Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Yep after the truck is warm and ya go to turn it on it will crank and crank forever and never fire til you cycle it again. I tried it the other day. Im thinkin that when the pump gets warm, the fss gets stuck so it takes two cycles to break it open. You can tell it opens the 2nd time by the sound of the Airdog.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
If I were in your shoes I'd look into making a bracket with some sort of solenoid that operates the shut down lever. Then you could gut the FSS and not worry about it. First thing that comes to mind is an old idle up solenoid for a early/mid 80's carbureted car/truck. But there are probably lots more that could work well also.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Yours sound like what mine was doing. The actual solenoid plunger is sticking (getting a little side-ways and binding actually) in it's bore.

Just get a new fuel shut-off solenoid assembly on Ebay cheap and be done with it. Look for Volkswagen fuel shut-off solenoids. Often around $19.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM

ok, I thought I remember reading somewhere that yours did this. I figured I'd get a new one of these days but if this one was working I was just gonna leave it. I think I got one in my spare pump I might rob or I might just get a new one if its that cheap.

Question is when i put another one in, do I want to grind it down to the metal before I put it in too? or just run it the way it is? I blew this one back when I had stock injectors, and not sure if these PODs are big enough to keep it from blowing again?