1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

do you use your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best Ive gotten was 19.5 on the highway. Thats at about 65-75 running 305's, not to mention weight of bumpers and fully loaded toolbox.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

I Drive mine everyday..

it seems like almost every weekend I use it to Two, Haul, or work

here is pick of one of my 1st Tows

and this is what it looks like when I tow for fun
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rconrad16
I would rather spend $600 a month on my 1st gen than to a finance co for a tin can truck

My sentiments exactly !!

I see these people all the time with their almost-new tin-can trucks and their $600/month payments and $400/month insurance and sky-rocket high license/property taxes, and them being forty-year old grown men that can't scrape up enough cash to buy a set of tires.

What gets me is how these people are always trying to get me to jump off the same cliff that they were silly enough to plunge over.

No thank you; I will keep my dependable old trucks and have money in my pocket to do whatever I want.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I drive my truck usually 7 days a week for everything, this is what I drive.
This is my identity, if anybody knows me it is by my truck. When I pull in a drive through at any hour to get something to eat, they already know what I want by the sound of the truck. It will confuse them on weekends when I have my family in the truck and they need food too.
I always wanted this body style and looked hard to find it. When my last truck was totaled out from under me I was without for about a month till I found it.

I paid good money for it but it was in almost perfect shape, I just made it a lot better. It is a Southern California truck from Frahm Dodge, no rust.

I keep it in perfect mechanical condition and I have the confidence I could drive anywhere in a minuets notice.

I have driven this from the mountains to the sea in and back home in one day.
One of the biggest reasons I will drive nothing else is this is my family’s Life Insurance Policy, I have been in several bad accidents with this truck and in all of them all of us have come out unharmed.

I had a Toyota and a Nissan rear end me at 65 MPH while I was stopped on the freeway, although it bent my rear bumper and moved the right side frame rail 5mm (frame was pulled back out on rack) I totaled both of the trucks behind me.

These trucks are solid and the stock rear bumper I have is a lot heavier than and of the aftermarket ones they made, behind that is my Class V receiver hitch and then protruding from that is my 7 ton pintle hitch.

This is my pre-hitch I have has several Lexus and Toyotas punch out their own radiators with it.

I try and wash my truck every 3 weeks but lately it has been once month, then I will take it to my underground garage at work and work on it for about 3 or 4 hours cleaning and waxing it, my body shop said I was rubbing the paint off because I waxed it so much.

The interior has cloth seats and padded carpeting and people used to make comments because when I get out of the truck I have a brush next to the door that I sweep out the floor and seats every time I get out.

Speaking of the safety, I was coming home tonight on the I-210 Fwy and there was a 6 car accident, there were several larger SUV’s and some small cars they you could not identify, sadly there was 1 fatality.

I will never get into a small mobile coffin of allow my family in one.

I do not know where all of these trucks went to, (250/ 350 Dually) because I have only seen a few of them around here and both of them were in sad condition. One had a 440 gas and the other was a diesel.

Jim
Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 AM

bearkiller you took the words right out of my mouth. what is it with the rest of the crowd trying to get you to do the same thing an not save a buck for a rainy day? jim lane i rubbed the paint off my old 84 chev 6.2 and i would do it again. did you get it clear coated this time at the paint shop? sure is pretty. alot easier to be motivated about keeping a rig clean inside and out if it looks thats nice when done.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I drive my truck usually 7 days a week for everything, this is what I drive.

Same here, I go anywhere, I am usually in my truck.

I keep it in perfect mechanical condition and I have the confidence I could drive anywhere in a minuets notice.

Like the Boy Scouts said: "Be Prepared." :That about covers it.

people used to make comments because when I get out of the truck I have a brush next to the door that I sweep out the floor and seats every time I get out.

Nothing wrong with that. From what I see at the shop, having to pull in and out all sorts of vehicles, there are not many that follow your lead. Some I even have refused to get in, and I have driven some ROUGH ones....NASTY. The worst ones usually belong to the more financially well off people, and the hold-your-nose ones usually belong to a soccer-mom with maybe one (or more) not yet on solid food.

I will never get into a small mobile coffin of allow my family in one.

I feel a lot better when the wife is driving her truck. Every week, we have at least one killing wreck in our county, and we are RURAL to the extremes. Back when they built real cars, when someone actually got killed in a wreck, it was talked about for years and locals gave directions according to where "the wreck that killed old so-and-so back in '56" occurred, using it as a known landmark. Now, a death wreck don't even rate front page of our once-weekly eight-page paper.

I do not know where all of these trucks went to, (250/ 350 Dually) because I have only seen a few of them around here and both of them were in sad condition.

Most of them ended up in my neck of the woods.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM

By the way, JIM, do you have seating in the topper for passengers ??

Is there a pass-thru, or matching sliding windows ??

If so, pictures ??

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine gets me around in one piece, does a great job of it. Although I wish mine was as nice looking as some of yours, keep up the great work

And every once and a while the usual

Besides who would want to drive a cookie cutter truck

Not many of them around thats for sure