1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

do you use your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question do you use your truck?

how many of you all out there really use your truck load the bed down pull trailers travel down the road and use your 4x4? and how many of you wash your trucks once a week and detail them and are worried about the little biz, myself i use my truck and dont worry about little stuff like tiny paint chips or scrathes in the bed or even paint surface scrathces that wash off and i use 4x4 only when needed which is actually quite frequently, i figure a truck was made to use and use hard aswell take care of but how do you guys view it?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i washed mine for the first time in a year the other day... man it looks GOOD, lol. I use my truck to work, not as heavy as some for sure, but I use the bed 90% of the time i am driving.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 PM

I sure as heck use my truck but i do believe in keepin a clean truck also. You aught to keep yours clean, IT MAKES THE FIRST GEN'S LOOK BETTER AND NICER!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 PM

just today i unhooked the gooseneck got stuck in the wet grass had to throw it in 4x4 then off to pull home a ugly little trailer that is going to be the base for my new to me field sprayer. i am careful but got caught in a hail storm and paint is chiping off. no dents no rust. insides need a good cleaning i get that when i service it this winter. only gets used when i need to pull or haul something home.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Muted User

I put rubber mats in the front to catch dirt,mud, and snow. Shake em out once a week.
The truck is two weeks old and I've hauled sand, cow manure, and water valves. The valves did scratch up the gate a bit. I have a bed mat made of recycled tires. Towed the poop and sand in the dump trailer.
The rear seats are folded up and my dogs area set up. Gotta have that girl comfortable when we travel. She has marked up the rear windows a bit with her wet nose and I think that just adds more character.
Trucks are made for working. We love ours.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Wash the truck few times each summer. I like to leave on trips with a clean truck. In between trips, I don't wash it much - get mud and stuff inside - use a pressure washer to clean inside the cab out couple times a summer (careful with the spray but cleans the rubber floor nicely)

I worry about the front half, but the bed is all work. throw metal, wood, junk, etc and ATV's when going on a trip. Needless to say the bed gets abused. I roll a new coat of rustoleum on the bed every couple years.

I like the truck to look nice, but I am not afraid to use the business end.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 AM
KRB

Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts
99% of the time I drive mine is because I have too. An '89 toyota corolla is the car that goes to town because 32mpg is nice these days. The M880 slogs it out on the farm full of tools, parts etc. The B3 goes when nothing else will...

So when I jump in the CTD its to haul or pull (OK sometimes we do take it camping). Thats anything from a spare tire to be repaired to 10-14,000lbs hay, beef, equipment or what ever. The 4X4 gets exercised maybe once a month depending on the conditions and the job at hand (less now that we have bridges over the creeks again). If the snow is bad and the whole family is going somewhere we take the CTD because we don't fit in the M880.

I NEVER detail it. She is for function not form. However I do make sure to hose off the salt or manure or anything that could start the rot. I keep the cab insides clean as possible as I do the engine bay. Makes everything last longer. I'm careful with the bed and concious of not dinging and denting but scratches are like calouses - a fact of life.

I want this truck to last my lifetime. But like me, I don't want to arrive at death safely without all the bumps and bruises of a fun life...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I park mine in my garage because it leaks and to keep the sun off. I wash it one or two times a year. I try to keep from getting it damaged but I use it around the house to haul lumber, wood, pull trailers, etc.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Daily driver. It satisfies my longing to be a big rig driver I have a couple trailers that I use for mostly personal use, favors for friends and the occasional haul for cash. It's usually 8 months to a year between washings--the dirt holds the rusty pieces from falling off
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
USE THEM ???!!!???

NAW!!!...I just collect them to set around and look pretty.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, all of the above! I wash it weekly, as Michigan salt sucks, its daily driven in the fall winter. I take it off road in the Michigan swamps and mud, use the winch if needed. I split two face cords of wood and brought them home yesterday. Put a fence around my property and brought 55 80lbs bags of cement home, it was loaded! My goal is to have good around work / play truck.

In its previous life it worked everyday on our farm pulling our big dual tandem gooseneck delivering hay and equipment.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM

i use mine to haul paper and lead cables to the scrapie so i can make it nice lookin one day
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM

I do use my truck to pull a 18 ft. aluminum trailer with 3 Ex-mark Z's occasionally. It's more of the back up truck when something breaks on 'ol red. And of course I use it a little for play when I throw the aluminum trailer on with 6 quads, and go riding for the weekend. It gets washed atleast once a week, and always waxed religiously. I can't help it, I think I may have OCD when it comes to my truck.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM

i normally just drive it, as it is my daily, this way the camaro can stay nice.

when i bought the truck it had had a very hard life. 500K on the clock now, and i've only put about 5K on it. there is a dent on every panel of the truck. but over this winter, i'm putting a new front clip on and going to start the restoration on the bed. i still wash my truck about once a month, because the beauty rings on the wheels with the gloss black steelies looks good when clean, regardless of the mismatched/dented rest of the truck, lol!

i use my truck as often as i can afford to when i can afford to, i'm hauling my camaro on a borrowed trailer to a drag strip somewhere.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 PM

use mine in summer for trailer/dirt and wood.in winter use 4x4 more due to snow and ice.
have to wash truck due to salt and grime...would have no body left if didn't wash it.

Quick Reply: do you use your truck?