1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

digital gauges (monitor)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digital gauges (monitor)

where can I get a set of digital gauges for my old truck?

I want something like the quadzilla setup thats in the DTR shop but am wondering if everything will hook up.

I need a Pyrometer, boost guage, and TACHOMETER - anything else will be excessive but I'll take all I can get.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM

When I was looking for guages I called about the Quadzilla and they told me that they would not work because our trucks don't have the reqired sensors and such. That was about 4 months ago. As for others you might want to check on Dakota Digital guages they make a whole aray of digital guages they may have something that will work. Ryan
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Personally I don't like digital gauges unless they simulate the analog ones. I prefer the moving needle for ease of interpreting in a hurry. Besides they look way cooler.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 AM

Well we are a little closer to having the Commander to work on the 1st gen and early 2nd gen trucks.

On your truck it will be able to do EGT, Boost and a temperature of your choice as long as you can screw in a 1/8 npt temp sender. Something like oil temp or something?

To make the boost work properly you will need our analog boost sensor (basically our own MAP sensor so to speak). It will read from 0-102psi and is easy to install and will be pretty inexpensive. This part will be used for trucks without map sensors and trucks making super high boost!

The downside.......we do not have the production units yet. It will likely be a few weeks still.

Now we do not have a pillar mount and probably will not make one since we have to make them in the thousands. It does have a mount that will work although it is not the best thing ever made! The monitor can be mounted in a variety of custom ways though.

Now, on tthe 1st gen trucks I am not sure it is cost effective for what you get unless you want a simple all in one type unit. The only real advantage is the ability to have multiple parameters in one spot in your choice of location. The ability to set warnings and look at min/max values.

Other than that the analogs might be best in the 1st gen trucks.

If you look around they can be found for cheaper than the retail price.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 AM

get in touch with me when you have this product available - it sounds like something i may be very interested in.

Thanks,
x2

Originally Posted by qzilla
Well we are a little closer to having the Commander to work on the 1st gen and early 2nd gen trucks.

On your truck it will be able to do EGT, Boost and a temperature of your choice as long as you can screw in a 1/8 npt temp sender. Something like oil temp or something?

To make the boost work properly you will need our analog boost sensor (basically our own MAP sensor so to speak). It will read from 0-102psi and is easy to install and will be pretty inexpensive. This part will be used for trucks without map sensors and trucks making super high boost!

The downside.......we do not have the production units yet. It will likely be a few weeks still.

Now we do not have a pillar mount and probably will not make one since we have to make them in the thousands. It does have a mount that will work although it is not the best thing ever made! The monitor can be mounted in a variety of custom ways though.

Now, on tthe 1st gen trucks I am not sure it is cost effective for what you get unless you want a simple all in one type unit. The only real advantage is the ability to have multiple parameters in one spot in your choice of location. The ability to set warnings and look at min/max values.

Other than that the analogs might be best in the 1st gen trucks.

If you look around they can be found for cheaper than the retail price.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
DTR question asker

Yeah I'll be interested in this too.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:45 PM

QZILLA - if you can work the tachometer in with the package I will 100% for sure buy one.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM

I am not going to promise the RPM thing on the older trucks. I don't see how we could pick up an analog signal we could use since they do not have the right sensors.......I have to be honest though, it has been a LONG time since I played with a 1st gen.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
qzilla- '92 and '93 have an RPM signal in the PCM. There's a harness under the dash for a dealer optional tach.

If you need a truck to examine I'm sure we can find you one.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM

What about the magnet(s) on the harmonic balancer setup similar to what ISSPRO uses for their tach? - could you make that work?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or a pulse sensor that attaches to inj line, similar to the tiny tach. Id like have one if it can read egt,boost,tranny temp, and rpms.