1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

diesel pushed out oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take the refund.

I would trailer it home, and do the rest myself.

If you don't have the time to fix it yourself then you probably also don't have the time to trailer it home.

So (hopefully) some of the locals who are on this board can direct you to a good SD diesel mechanic.

Do not run it any more than is necessary.

Good Day,
JP.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM

My vote is the IP same thing happened to me, back of the camper was black the only good thing is the inside of the engine was super clean after the fuel wash. After the new injector pump install no problems anymore. I think you can update it when replacing it too.
KC
Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
92duallyctd, the later model LP would fit, hoever the pumps designed for the second gens run too high of a fuel pressure for the VE to handle. I believe you can buy a rebuild kit if you had a 2nd gen pump lying around but you wouldn't want to run it as is.
Thank you for the clarification above -

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Please refer to this sticky brought to you by BC847 and Dave:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=93722
and reference to the sticky, kind Sirs! Great write-up and pictorial there, BC! 'Preciate it. ;-)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM

I would take the dealership's offer of a full refund. if you are with the vehicle i would drive to the local auto parts store and swap the lift pump. they should have the basic tools for you to borrow to do the job. insect the old one so see if it's bad. the VE (IP) has the amazing ability to pull it's own fuel, it's not good for it, but it can do it. If you are not with the truck i would take the refund and ask the dealership to replace the LP with a stock on AND SAVE THE OLD ONE. tell them you do not expect a refund if it does not work (should be fairly cheap) i say give the cheap fix a shot before assuming the worst. If those aren't an option post your dilema in the general disscusion section, if your truck or location was close to me i'd glady make the trip to help you out for cost of fuel, i'm sure i'm not the only nice guy on the board! )
Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Do you have a trusty mechanic at home? If you do, the smart and more importantly SAFE thing to do would be to rent a truck/trailer combo and tow it home. You don't want the engine to heat up to highway tempuratures with diesel in the crank case right under pistons that are holding back a controlled explosion. Once it's home it will stop you from bleeding money, what with airfare, taxi's, and what not. Even if you don't have a mechanic once it's home you can take your time, get some good advice here on the forum, and figure out what the problem really is.
If I were closer I would help.
Joseph
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
I would take the dealership's offer of a full refund. If you are not with the truck i would take the refund and ask the dealership to replace the LP with a stock on AND SAVE THE OLD ONE. tell them you do not expect a refund if it does not work
Agreed. Then tow the thing home with a uhaul setup or borrow a friend's truck and trailer or something.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM

thank you again everyone for your great suggestions.

the drama continues..

getting it fixed in san diego is my first choice. since i am not confident working on my truck and have no trusty mechanic lined up in my area. any recommendation for the san francisco bay area diesel guys who like 1st gens would much appriciated for future mods/repairs.

i talked to the dealer recommmended mechanic for the VE job. so the dealer tows my rig to the real mechanic. he will send out the injection pump as a whole to a rebuild shop or just exchange it for $800 with 1 year guarantee plus $600 labor. sounds about right. i guess. or replace the front seal for less but no guarantee.

the dealership has made a 2nd offer for me to keep the new remanufactured cummins injectors for cost which is 300 hundred bucks. the truck is 3 months new to me and i have no history on it. my problem is that i dont know if the injectors that they replaced (they stated that they were bosch) were matched to the aftermarket banks intercooler on my truck. would the new ones (cummins remans ) be better off because they are brand new? should this even be a concern? or should i be jumping for joy that i get 6 new stock injectors for $300. keep in mind i prefer fuel economy over huge power.

my 2nd thought on this offer is that the dealer wouldnt even exchange the injectors anyway and he is just trying to recoop some of his lost costs.--meaning he would give me the new injectors and full refund because it would be more cost effective not to put my old ones back in.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would take the refund. They should have known it wasn't the injectors in the first place.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 PM

thank you everyone. what a nightmare, now, over. i wish i had the skills and experience to work on my own truck. i may start because it seems like i could be walked through most jobs with the help of these forum friends. anyway the truck ended up at cummins coach care in El Cajon just outside of san diego. they were totally professional and knew there edit. they sent the injection pump out for a rebuild and put it back in. done. 3 one way flights later thanks to national city dodge service department. --they did give me a full refund but somehow i was talked into keeping the new injectors at cost in the process of them trying to recooperate their lost costs from fixing the wrong thing. it was a battle and i hate them. numbers games non stop. i never should have gave in. but somehow $300 for rebuilt injectors installed seemed fair despite the fact i didnt need new ones..yet.

now during the IP rebuild.. they replace all the seals and diaphram but with what material? is the diaphram made of viton? and the seals? i'm curious because running b99 biodiesel will for sure eat up regular rubber. and that was probably the cause in the first place. i heard injection pumps run for about 150K and my truck has 220K. was it the b99 do you think? or just its time? i want to continue running b99 but not at the expense of another seal or diaphram.

and lastly.. my MPG still suck. 13/15. banks kit the culprit? can someone in the san francisco bay area on this forum please come and drive my truck to give it a listen and look see? tweek the pump, bump the timing, or tell me to drive it off a cliff!!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:52 PM

A rebuilt IP should be good for bio. The rest of your fuel system might still need some attention, especially the old fuel lines.

At 220k that IP did not owe you much.

You might be able to tweak a few more mpg out of it, but in my experience driving habits have the biggest effect on mpg. Those seat of the pants, listen to the turbo sing, feel the power launches use a lot of fuel. So does driving a heavy unaerodynamic chunk of steel over 50 mph.

JP.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad to hear it's back on the road.

Bump the timing, make sure you run the tires as hard as you can stand. The Banks kit is helping MPG by freeing up airflow. If the truck is an automatic, a tighter torque converter will help.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM

well after san diego and LA traffic, the highway opened up i couldnt resist doing 80-85 mph for about an hour then slowed down to 65-75 for the rest of the 8 hour trip then clocked in at 15.88 MPG for the entire trip which is actually pretty good for my non OD 3spd. the truck sounds better and feels better. i'm pretty stoked now that i have gotten over the shock of financial lock down and have my truck back sitting out front where i can see it!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, what a bummer. Wish I had seen this thread when it started. I work down town santa cruz and can help if you still need any. Hope all is well!
Tom