1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 12:18 AM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Diesel Fuel

You think you're paying a lot for fuel? LoL
California - the pay more get less state

Is this stuff safe for the old VE injection pump? Maybe it's better than regular old ULSD? This is the second gas station that I have seen the bio sticker on the pump. Is this just a Commiefornia thing?
I just spent a small fortune having my VE rebuilt and want it to last a long time. Hmmm, maybe that's the plan, kill the old planet destroying diesels.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
B20 used to kill my fuel economy. It will clean all the trash out of your tank.

It will eat regular seals and O-rings. Ask your rebuilder what he used in it.

On the price of diesel? A friend of mine is safety director for a NC based 300 truck company. We talked yesterday. The South East has problems with fuel supplies right now.He said the possibility of $8.00 is on the horizon. I'm hearing $10.

FJB is shipping our already tight supply to the EU to hurt Russia. My company is wanting us to never go below 1/2 a tank. That way the fleet can always make it home from our furthest delivery point in the regions we run in. I am a home everyday driver. Others run regional.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:07 PM

From the little bit I've read, this "renewable" diesel is a different animal than biodiesel. It uses a different process to create, hydro treated vegetable oil (HVO), and is chemically very similar to crude oil diesel. However like ULSD it has low lubricity and needs additives to increase lubricity. It looks like this is what we're going to get on the west coast and need to find out if it has sufficient lubricity. If not then what to use and how much. Need to know so that I don't wear out another pump housing.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 04:36 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
@bigredbrick....Thanks for that info. I came across a statement a couple years ago about the bio-diesel being mixed in the fuel and how it had more lubricity, so I stopped adding fuel additive to make up that lubricity loss. But since then I have been getting a slowly increasing rattling noise in the engine compartment that I just can't nail down, I now wonder if it is the tolerances in my injection pump have slowly been increasing due to the wear...

If it is I guess I have no one to blame but myself for taking a statement I found on the internet and just believing it without doing even just a modicum of research to validate the statement. Glad I have a couple spare IP's...
Old 05-15-2022, 06:34 PM

Received 368 Likes on 305 Posts
extra rattle... could be time to check the valve lash or your vacuum pump. i also got more noise after changing injectors - granted they were IC injectors swapped into my non-IC.

I'd want to look closer at the lubricity thing. My understanding is the lubricity is lost from the process that strips the last bit of sulfur. Bio fuel shouldnt have sulfur in the first place.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:10 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
This "Renewable Diesel" thing is a new one on me, shows how out of touch I am, so I did a bit of looking. This page https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...l-in-depth.php has this statement, "Because renewable diesel is chemically the same as petroleum diesel, it may be used in its pure form—called R100—as a drop-in fuel..." so what lubricity is has is unknown. A good lubricity additive is a good idea anyway which is why I use PowerService in my VE injected truck.

Edwin
Old 05-16-2022, 06:01 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Since the low sulfur diesel we should all be using marine 2 stroke oil, I would say around 10 oz to treat 36 gallons.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Honda ATF cuz it's free.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:46 PM

I use Power Service and Wallyworld 2 stroke marine. It would be nice to know what the fuel has for lubricity and what the VE needs so there's a better edjumacated guess on how much to add. This calls for an email to a fuel producer to see what they say. Probably figure it's only half what they say to be safe.

Interesting article on renewable diesel.
https://www.petro-online.com/article...sel-fuels/3045