1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

details of the hot farm water injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
details of the hot farm water injection

Hey I ment to put down hot farm or feild stock pulling tractors the pro farm boy's use a a timed set up. Thats the same set up as used on scheids pulling truck wich is very costly it runs in the injection pump. I herd that Martains pulling truck has an $8000 water an achol setup on it. ANY WAYS THE TANK IS MOUNTED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE INTER FENDER AN A HOSE RUNS FROM THE TANK. ACROSS THE FIRE WALL AND FEEDS IN THE SMALL PUMP AND A LOW VOLUEM PUMP WILL WORK JUST FINE. Because the turbo is pushing the mist the boughten setups need more pressure because they are after the turbo and have to out run the boost pressure. GOING OUT OF THE PUMP IS OUT HOSE IT FASSENS TO THE SPRAY NOSEL I SET MINE TO FILL A QT JAR IN 60 SECONDS IT SEEMS TO WORK FINE. IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH FUEL YOUR RUNNING AND HOW HIGH YOUR EGTS ARE FOR THE CORRECT MIST. THE MIST NEEDS TO BE RIGHT IN FROUNT OF THE TURBO IN A ANGLEN TO SPRAY RIGHT IN THE COMPRESSOR WHEEL. I DRILLED A HOLE IN THE INTAKE HOSE INSERT THE SPRAY NOSEL AND NOSELS ARE JUST AG SPRAYER NOSELS. They come in all sizes and the switch is in the cab on/off.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe I'm not following this right (wouldn't be the first time...) but I've read that injecting water before the turbo can drastically reduce the service life of the pinwheel. Something about droplets of water hitting the compressor wheel while it's turning 100,000 rpm... Kinda like sticking your head out the window of a car doing 100 mph in the rain, only worse! Again, maybe I read your message wrong. Either way, your truck sounds way faster than mine!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that maybe my cousin has ran this same set up on a 466IH engine for years has'nt trassed the turbo yet. My freind has a 95 cummins he runs the same thing he loves it an again on turbo failure. It may junk my turbo to night but it has'nt so far. I will run mine a while longer I'll let you know if the turbo gets any pits in the compressor wheel. Have you ever heard of Mike Savey that pulls the profarm tractor called Candian Mist well he's a good frend of mine he done this to john deere tractors for year.

91 CUMMINS TO MUCH TO LIST
Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G1625S i believe in this case you are correct, nothing not even water should be injected preturbo. Reasons are two fold, #1 the water can and will damage over time the compressor wheel they are aluminum, #2 alcohol in itself is corrosive, its not really something you want hanging around in your turbo or your intercooler. And one last note, my nozzle atomizes the water mixture, believe it or not a spinning turbo does no better job, and there is no way the water will stay suspended all the way from the turbo thru the chargeair cooler to the engine, this means water will settle somewhere it aint suposed to be.

This is just my opinion on things, and i do speak from experiance, since i run water inj on mine.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may be an old thread, but here is my opnion. Most of the folks that re gonna inject pre-turbo are probably either racing or pulling, so I'd say they stand a good chance to need a new turbo abyways far before the water will erode the turbine wheel to the point that it will hurt anything. This idea would not be very useful for the street or hauling purposes.

Also, once the water is suspended by the turbine wheel in this set up it will eventually become steam before it enters the engine anyways due to the increased air temperature under compression and this will continue to be injected until the pull is finished and then be turned off. With this being the case there should be any "pooling" or other unwanted effects that would harm anything. Alch on the other hand = corrosive = not a real good idea pre-turbo.