1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Desil Fule Additive ? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Desil Fule Additive ? ? ? ?

WHO HAS TRIED FULE ADDITIVE AND DOES IT HELP ANYTHING ??????

My truck seems to be running fine , had it for over 8 yrs and never used anything but streight Fuel, Is it worth the Money ??????

Claude
Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 PM

the anti gel re assurance is nice.
i run power service in both mine.
white bottle in the winter and silver in the summer times.

i get it cheap through a buddy discount and well fuel is another story so its just piece of mind.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Standadyne? is the best, according to quite a few people that I have talked to. I use it, and my pickup has not had a gel-up yet, even on straight #2 when it was very cold.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Stanodyne Performance formula. Aside from the anti-gelling qualities, the bigger advantage is that it provides more lubrication to the injection pump...keeps her happy. Also improves mileage a tad, and reduces smoke a tad. The mileage improvement isn't enough to justify the cost however. The lubrication to the pump is!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Yeah, it is a very good idea to use it with #1 fuel also, since it does not lubricate very well.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:44 PM

What about just adding a quart of oil to fuel tank at fill-up?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ouchman
What about just adding a quart of oil to fuel tank at fill-up?
Ya I'd like to know the best thing to put in for lubricating the pump thats cheap like as far as oils go. I just don't have the need for the other things the additive offer, I just want to make sure my pump is good and lubricated
Old 03-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Lots of discussion on this topic, search a little, read a lot. Diesel fuel has been changed over the years, less lubricity being the major problem, especially in older systems. Additives won't hurt anything and in most cases help. If you've never had your fuel gel in winter without additives, play the lottery because you're one lucky SOB. They also help keep injectors clean. The most important thing is to read the labels. Most additives need only a few ounces per 10 gallons, over adding is wasted money. I use Power Service/Marvel Mystery Oil mixed about 2-1, and about 8-10 ounces per fill-up. FPPF, Lucas, Howes, are also good. My IP is quieter, and my mileage increased about 1mpg. Try a couple tanks with additive, and see what it does for you. You can buy just a quart use about 1/3 to 1/2 each fill, see if theres any difference, if not don't buy any more. If it helps anything buy it by the gallon, it's cheaper that way. Good luck and let us know what happens.

PS; Many people use 2 stroke oil for lubricity.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Racer9
FPPF, Lucas, Howes, are also good. My IP is quieter, and my mileage increased about 1mpg.
Just thought I'd add to the pot here. I use Howe's in my 90 and it seems to work decently. I'm in it for the pump lubrication and injector cleanliness. My dad runs Howe's in his semi and he gets about .5mpg better than without it. Also, the time he didn't add it to his tank after a fillup, he lost an injector... not saying "You better use howe's or you'll lose an injector" , but the less amount of lubrication probably helped contribute to it. He also notices a little less injection noise.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
An old diesel mechanic turned truck-driver that used our filling-station as his home base religiously added two to four quarts of 30w Red Diamond oil to each saddle-tank at each fill-up.

He said that it was the best medicine for an injector pump that could be had.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
DBF

I use Howe's if I have to go to Michigan in the winter. Otherwise, no need. DBF
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Keep in mind that the injection pump is lubricated and cooled by fuel only....there is no other source of lube and cooling....
I really recommend the use of an additive, if for nothing else the lubricity it provides the fuel which in turn helps the ole inj. pump.
My personal opinion regarding the adding of more traditional 'oil' is don't do it..
That stuff was not made to be burnt...it's function in life is entirely different.
Overall I've found the Stanadyne Performance Formula to work very well.

The cadillac of additives is a product know/called Amalgamated #15 Diesel Treatment.
My brother brought in a 5gal. pale and we've both used it.....THAT is the top notch stuff if you want to bet by the pale.
I think I may have posted this info already in here somewere but I believe he paid about $125.00 - $150.00 Canadian delivered to his doorstep here in BC Canada.

pb...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:33 PM

Less Expensive ?

If I want just lubrication and don't need the anti-gel I use Corn cooking oil from the grocery about $6/gal. (actually it could be used as fuel) if I am short of cash or not near a truck stop. It adds the lubrication you need and is $17/cheaper per gallon. At about 20 deg. the bottle goes solid so keep the temp in mind. Normally I use Lucas Improves miliage and the corn oil does not. On my truck Lucas pays for itself in miliage improvement. For gelling and miliage brands previously mentioned cannot be beat.
R C
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by R C Cola
If I want just lubrication and don't need the anti-gel I use Corn cooking oil from the grocery about $6/gal. ...
so maybe a bit of bio-d ($3/gal) would suffice, tho the lift pump does not like a full dose for many years (diaphram leaks, then you get fuel in oil) A newer version than stock should cure that (post '93) VE is not the best for bio-d, but... I haven't heard any 1st gen folks who have lost pumps due to Bio-d, causing leaks. The u of idaho has an early 1st gen that has had a full diet of BD for many years. Yellowstone's 2nd gen is doing well ('94 I think) It is a Bio-d virgin - no dino-ever!) The VW crowd has had numerous VE failures. B20 should be fine, above B50 I would be sure to have a fuel pressure gauge to determine if you have crystals or gel restricting flow to IP. We have B20 and B99 at the pump locally, of course you can always 'brew your own' for $0.70/gal (with free grease or SVO) and a water heater
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

June (06?) brings the requirement of USLD (Ultra low sulfer diesel) You will really be needing pump lubricant
+ more reason to jack up the price...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 AM

I use standadyne performance formula in the blue bottle. I mainly use it cause of how good it is for the injector pump and i went from about 17 to 19 mpg. I feel that it is well worth the $6.50 a bottle (which treats 60 gallons)

Quick Reply: Desil Fule Additive ? ? ? ?