1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dents

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Dents

Hey all, my truck has a lot of minor dents. I took it to a body shop and they guy said he would remove them all for $5,000. That was way to much money and I told him I could buy everything new for that. He told me it takes a lot of work to remove these dents and he would have a lot of man hours into it.

The dent doctor down south of the town quoted me at $3,250 which was really cheap. Still that is way to high, I could order panels and paint for a few hundred.

I have a large dent on the back of the cab near the light and some small dents on the hood and front fenders. I'm thinking I could heat the area up and maybe take a rubber hammer and tap them out. Whats the best way to go about this? I got a parts quote for two new fenders and hood + shipping for $600. I could go this route and buy paint for another $100.

What would you guys do?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you heat the panel you will warp the crap out of it. There is a ton of work into body work. I have been doing it for years and it takes lots of practice, a typical complete paint job on a truck is 4 to 8 grand depending on what kind of paint and how much body work is required. That is prices to do it right though. You could have macco paint it for real cheap but it will fade and start peeling off if it is not prepped right
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by bryson711
If you heat the panel you will warp the crap out of it. There is a ton of work into body work. I have been doing it for years and it takes lots of practice, a typical complete paint job on a truck is 4 to 8 grand depending on what kind of paint and how much body work is required. That is prices to do it right though. You could have macco paint it for real cheap but it will fade and start peeling off if it is not prepped right
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
I still don't see how 4K and 8K makes any sense. The panels from dodge come painted from the factory and less then a few hundred each. Unless you want a unique color then it would make sense.

The body shop I talked to said they heat the panels and use a glue type puller that pulls the dent out. They go behind it with a level mirror. The one area they're concerned is on the cab there is a dent that "V's" They will either have to drill it and use a hammer slide puller or do a lot of pushing and pulling with their tools. I don't know anything about auto body honestly.. the prices I've been hearing is highway robbery.

I'm going to do some research and see if I can do this myself. If not I'll put my money into some new panels. Maybe see if the can just do the cab spot for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
They go behind it with a level mirror. The one area they're concerned is on the cab there is a dent that "V's" They will either have to drill it and use a hammer slide puller or do a lot of pushing and pulling with their tools. I don't know anything about auto body honestly.. the prices I've been hearing is highway robbery.

I'm going to do some research and see if I can do this myself. If not I'll put my money into some new panels. Maybe see if the can just do the cab spot for me.
Highway robbery? Nope, as has been stated body work is VERY labor intensive to do it even halfway right. I do have to caution you, in this day and age any shop that drills sheetmetal and uses a puller on it is way too hillbilly to consider. We did that kind of stuff back in the 60's and 70's because stud welders weren't easily or inexpensively obtained.

Can you post up some of the minor dents you are talking about? also, post one of the bigger cab dent?

I use the Eastwood corp for much of my stuff these days, they have pretty decent stuff that won't break the bank. For smaller dents, you might consider their Shoot Suit stud puller. for even the bigger stuff, you can start out with their 99.95 stud welding attachment for a Mig. I bought one of their Mig 135 units last year, and have to say, I like it better than my HTP USA professional Mig.

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/den...d-welders.html

http://www.eastwood.com/
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Highway robbery? Nope, as has been stated body work is VERY labor intensive to do it even halfway right. I do have to caution you, in this day and age any shop that drills sheetmetal and uses a puller on it is way too hillbilly to consider. We did that kind of stuff back in the 60's and 70's because stud welders weren't easily or inexpensively obtained.

Can you post up some of the minor dents you are talking about? also, post one of the bigger cab dent?

I use the Eastwood corp for much of my stuff these days, they have pretty decent stuff that won't break the bank. For smaller dents, you might consider their Shoot Suit stud puller. for even the bigger stuff, you can start out with their 99.95 stud welding attachment for a Mig. I bought one of their Mig 135 units last year, and have to say, I like it better than my HTP USA professional Mig.

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/den...d-welders.html

http://www.eastwood.com/
The dent looks like this;

That's the kind of dents I have. I'll take the pictures tonight though. The cab is what I'm concerned about, the wife backed that up into the garage door. Don't ask me how that happen.

I'll take a look through eastwood.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No offence to any fellow body guys out there. But the prices quoted are absolutly absurd. If the paint is not broken on any of the dents you need repaired like the one pictured the you need to look up "Paintless Dent Removal" technicians in your area. These are the guys that can take hail damaged cars and make em look new. Trust me google it then check around locally and you will be absolutly amazed. JMO for what it's worth

PS the dent you pic'd can be removed with zero paint and body work for about 60/75 bucks from a reputable PDR Tech