1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Deep vs double deep auto tranny pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
And if you don't mind the factory sheetmetal pan, just get a drain plug kit. I put them in every auto trans vehicle I have to service - it saves a lot of mess. You still have to take the pan down to change the filter, but at least there's only a little fluid left in the bottom instead of the Niagara Falls of ATF...
Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
For a much less expensive basic "No Frills" 4qt additional capacity aluminum pan, consider this one ~ http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku (Includes pick-up spacer).

I run one and it serves me well for what it is.

As is, it does not include an additional bung for a sensor but you can add this kit to take care of that. ~ http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...DS=1&N=700+115

Hope this helps.
That Summit pan is the one I just switched to. The best aluminum pan deal IMO. I had the factory deep steel pan with the $12 drain plug kit, which is probably what I would go with again after realizing little to no imrovement in temps, looks cool though and does hold a little more fluid.

Thanks to those that replied again with the temp sensor location. This is the most common misconception from what I read. Pressure out or hot out line is the only way to get a correct reading.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Hmmm, glad I asked. Looks like I will ditch the the double deep idea and maybe even the single deep pan and redirect the $$. One reason for the pans was to clean up my guage wiring by moving the dipstick sensor to the pan. But now I'm thinking move it to the line like bigragu says. Isn't there a sticky or an old thread about how/where to tap into that line somewhere? I'll look and see.

Never would have thought that adding fluid would increase the temps but now that its said I can see how that might work that way. I'll look into Derale and compare it to the stacked plate design Long has.

I would rather, and probably should, sink the $ into a TC and valve body etc. But Its hard to start down that slippery slope when the tranny works and a cooler is cheaper. But then again, think of the change in power, shifting, pulling....oh yean $$$$ .

Thanks guys, you have saved me some money and time - unless I go for that TC...
Later on, if funds allow or if an inlaw or family member asks"What would you like for Christmas?" get a single deep pan from Mag Hytec. They are a better pan all the way through, and you'll love doing the fluid changes.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:05 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
How hot are you running now?
Pulling a hill with a 6,000# boat or 10,000# of hay or beef I can pretty easily climb to 225* and will spike to 250-255* if not carefull. I don't think I'm turning my OD off soon enough. Probably should start at the bottom of the hill and not wait until temps climb. Thats tough to do sometimes, turning the cargo light on doesn't seem to affect the OD . I plan to move the button to the shift lever ASAP. From what I have read, 225-250* is when you start affecting the fluid and its toast after that.

Originally Posted by BC847
For a much less expensive basic "No Frills" 4qt additional capacity aluminum pan, consider this one ~ http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku (Includes pick-up spacer).

I run one and it serves me well for what it is.

As is, it does not include an additional bung for a sensor but you can add this kit to take care of that. ~ http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...DS=1&N=700+115

Hope this helps.
Never thought about adding a drain plug to my stock pan, which is what I guess I'll stick with now since the extra fluid ain't necessarily a bonus and the sensor port isn't needed if you move it to the stock in-line sensor port.

Based on this discussion, here's the plan:
Stock pan w/drain plug
Temp sensor install in old OD spot (tie up the old sensor)
Derale cooler w/fan
Cab switch for fan
LED indicator lights in gauge pod wired to OD and fan

BTW, I did ask Santy for a deep pan but I guess I was naughty last year .

I guess the best route to plumb in a cooler is the stock way? Anybody have problems over cooling the fluid with aftermarket coolers?

And if the dip stick sensor reads 250*, what do you reckon the hot line temp is?????
Old 01-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Too hot. The sensor is in the oil that returned from the coolers.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I have pictures of where I installed the gauge probe in my gallery, but am too stupid to figure out how to stick the pictures in a thread. I,m not near my FSM right now but I remember 280 degrees F is when the OD is cut out.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Originally Posted by KAyers
Mine is screwed into the hot cooler line where the factory temp sender originally was. I did away with that, it's foolish to me.

My cooler and fan is a Derale like bigragu suggested, but my cost was much less than he quoted. I got mine from Summit for much less.
Which one did you get? 15800?

What does the measurement -8AN stand for?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything you do to increase fluid capacity, whether it is bigger pans or extra coolers and their associated plumbing is going to be beneficial to the transmission in the long run. The more fluid in the sump the longer it will last between changes under any conditions, be they excessive heat, severe service, whatever.

I believe that thinking you are saving money by using fewer quarts at drain time is what we call a "false economy." If you are changing the fluid at a reasonable interval, it probably doesn't really matter in the short run. But an extra quart or two of fluid will go a long ways towards extending the overall life of the unit when heat, hard work and small leaks all combine to stress that tranny. How many here would claim they can pefectly gauge their drain interval requirement with their specific operating conditions? Or are doing consistent UOAs on the trans fluid? Ask that question to 10 different people and likely you'll get close to that many different answers.

Just ask yourself if you'd rather save a few bucks every couple years on the fluid, or be spending thousands for a rebuild a couple years sooner. Cheap insurance?

Just my $.02
Old 01-28-2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
What does the measurement -8AN stand for?
Thats terminology used for hose and fitting sizes known as Dash numbers.

I recently read a good tip for calculating dash number sizes, dash numbers based on 1/16 so -8 would be a 1/2 inch.