1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Deep vs double deep auto tranny pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Deep vs double deep auto tranny pan?

For those of you with guages that have installed a Mag Hy-tech (or other brand for that matter) deep or double deep auto tranny pan - what difference in temps did it make?

I'd like to lower my peak temps by about 20-25* when pulling a load uphill. Was wondering what extra benefit the "double deep" has over just the "deep" pan. I also understand that all that extra fluid only helps just so much and I may still need to add the remote cooler for air transfer.

I guess what I'm getting at is: can tranny temps be reduced by 20-25* when pulling short hills by a pan alone, or just a remote cooler or will it take both? I want to start spending my $$ where I get more bang for my buck.

I was at first going to just get a deep pan, but from what I read the double deep will still be tucked up above my crossmember a little for protection. I'd rather go the double deep route if that saves me from routing in a remote cooler under the bed.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just posted a picture of my DD pan in my gallery. I don't think it sits too low, and my truck is a 2wd.

Just the pan alone did not solve my heat issues with my trans. I could still get it to 220 degrees unless I dropped it out of OD when pulling.

You'll need an auxiliary cooler to solve your troubles.

Regards,
Kevin
Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM

I have the DD pan and I don't think it helps much with temps. It does give more fluid capacity so it takes a little longer to heat up and cool back down. It will also add to the cost of tranny service too so be sure to figure that into your plans. I just changed mine and it took right at 16 quarts.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I have been pondering the same thing. Towing my other toy I hit the high numbers during the summer. To be honest, I think the two to three hundred dollars would be well spent towards a more efficient torque converter. the stock one is just too loose and generates a lot of heat at great expense.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Your money may be better spent on an auxiliary cooler instead of a pan.

I would like to know where the previous posters have the transmission temperature gauge located? Pressure out port, pan or ?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
The deep sump tranny pan myth

Having installed deep sump pans on all of my diesel trucks, two of which are 1st genners, I must say all I appreciate about the pans are the drainage feature, the stregth due to the ribbed fins, the reusable gaskets, and the looks. That's it. The ATF will run hotter than stock with these deep sump pans, and mark my words, you will notice this more in the summer months. The truck's requirements for atf capacities were designed for OEM coolers to take care of the job. My suggestion: get the single deep pan for the benefits listed earlier and for a not so expensive fluid change as noted earlier in another post, and invest in a cooler with fan and T-stat. Try the Derale line(www.deraleproducts.com) or BM line. They will run you about $300.00 + but it is a wise investment. Stay away from the given sensor ports in these pans when tapping in for the tranny guage;instead, tap into the transmission fluid line that carries the fluid at its hottest point, and that is the line towards the front of the tranny, driver's side.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by sdstriper
Your money may be better spent on an auxiliary cooler instead of a pan.

I would like to know where the previous posters have the transmission temperature gauge located? Pressure out port, pan or ?

Mine is screwed into the hot cooler line where the factory temp sender originally was. I did away with that, it's foolish to me.

My cooler and fan is a Derale like bigragu suggested, but my cost was much less than he quoted. I got mine from Summit for much less.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:34 AM
KRB

Originally Posted by bigragu
Having installed deep sump pans on all of my diesel trucks, two of which are 1st genners, I must say all I appreciate about the pans are the drainage feature, the stregth due to the ribbed fins, the reusable gaskets, and the looks. That's it. The ATF will run hotter than stock with these deep sump pans, and mark my words, you will notice this more in the summer months. The truck's requirements for atf capacities were designed for OEM coolers to take care of the job. My suggestion: get the single deep pan for the benefits listed earlier and for a not so expensive fluid change as noted earlier in another post, and invest in a cooler with fan and T-stat. Try the Derale line(www.deraleproducts.com) or BM line. They will run you about $300.00 + but it is a wise investment. Stay away from the given sensor ports in these pans when tapping in for the tranny guage;instead, tap into the transmission fluid line that carries the fluid at its hottest point, and that is the line towards the front of the tranny, driver's side.

Hmmm, glad I asked. Looks like I will ditch the the double deep idea and maybe even the single deep pan and redirect the $$. One reason for the pans was to clean up my guage wiring by moving the dipstick sensor to the pan. But now I'm thinking move it to the line like bigragu says. Isn't there a sticky or an old thread about how/where to tap into that line somewhere? I'll look and see.

Never would have thought that adding fluid would increase the temps but now that its said I can see how that might work that way. I'll look into Derale and compare it to the stacked plate design Long has.

I would rather, and probably should, sink the $ into a TC and valve body etc. But Its hard to start down that slippery slope when the tranny works and a cooler is cheaper. But then again, think of the change in power, shifting, pulling....oh yean $$$$ .

Thanks guys, you have saved me some money and time - unless I go for that TC...
Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 AM
KRB

Originally Posted by KAyers
Mine is screwed into the hot cooler line where the factory temp sender originally was. I did away with that, it's foolish to me.

My cooler and fan is a Derale like bigragu suggested, but my cost was much less than he quoted. I got mine from Summit for much less.
Doesn't the factory temp sensor shut off OD when temps get high KAyers? Is the "foolish" part the fact that it turns off OD way too high so you're monitoring the temps manually and shutting out OD at an earlier temp than factory? If so, when do you drop out of OD?

The Derale site offers even more decisions/options! Frame rail coolers, heat sinks...now more decisions!

So now, which direction (its your'alls fault for giving me MORE choices )? Is a fan a requirement or would a cooler be enough? I like the fact that it can be safely tucked in close to the frame and avoid road debris, mud etc. And shouldn't any set up have a temp switch valve so you're not overcooling, like during warmup, winter temps...???

OK, chime in.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Yes, the sensor turns the overdrive off at 280 degrees. I watch my gauge like a hawk and manualy pull it out of OD at 220 degrees max. 280 degrees is way too hot for an auto trans. I have so much money in my trans, I'd never allow that temp, as failure will follow shortly.

Beware though, you can't simply unplug the factory sensor and remove it. When unplugged, the trans defaults to no OD function. I simply left my plug on the factory sensor and secured the sensor and wiring up out of the way with tie wraps.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM

The factory pan is a "single deep" pan.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 AM

i agree with and did the same thing as KAyers. my trans temp is in the factory point. i used a "flex-a-lite" no t-stat on the one i got but there is a fan. i just put a toggle in the cab. i don't need it unless i am pulling the 5ver so other than that it just stays off. also i was looking at having hydraulic lines made to run to the cooler $$$$$. then i had the bright idea to look at tractor supply! premade lines are a LOT cheaper and i only had to buy one extra fitting to make it work!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
....I'd like to lower my peak temps by about 20-25* when pulling a load uphill......
How hot are you running now?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
You also need a spacer for the pickup/filter or you run the danger of dry sucking under hard acceleration or cornering.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Arrow

For a much less expensive basic "No Frills" 4qt additional capacity aluminum pan, consider this one ~ http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku (Includes pick-up spacer).

I run one and it serves me well for what it is.

As is, it does not include an additional bung for a sensor but you can add this kit to take care of that. ~ http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...DS=1&N=700+115

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Deep vs double deep auto tranny pan?