1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Decisions, decisions

Okay, here's my situation. 91 is a regular cab 5 speed, 3.07 axles and 300K miles on it and it's showing its age and miles. 92 is an extended cab (which my wife and I prefer) worn out A518, 3.54 axles and 150K on it and is in otherwise decent shape. My preference would be to put the 5 speed in the 92 (my wife hates the idea but she ain't driving it, I am). Problem is it is a lot easier to sell a running driving truck than to try and part it out. So using the 91 as a donor is not an option for me.
So my remaining options are:
1. Heavy duty rebuild on the A518 and live with the power loss through the torque converter.
(I already know I need the 94-98 engine adapter and something to control lock up for 2 and 3)
2. Convert the A518 to lock up. Already have the A518. Easy no worry transfer case hook up.
3. Try to find another 47RH. Very hard to find in Alaska (shipping is $$$$$) and I'll always be worried about leaking between the tranny and transfer case .
Considering the 92 will have to take over the duties of being my work and towing truck, which of the options would give me the best strongest transmission for the job? Please give me pros and cons.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since your in alaska and its hard and spendy to get a 47rh i'd just rebuild the 518 with a stout converter, you could convert it to lock up but will cost more also, and I think a heavy duty rebuild with a really good converter would be the way i would go UNLESS you have most of the parts to convert it over (valve body, input shaft and everything else) also you would need a 2nd gen starter.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM

I need a shopping list. What parts from what transmissions can I use to build a stout lock up auto for my 92. 47RHs just aren't available and wife says no to a manual.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 AM

I'll try to get you one later tonight, and this is just from what i've read, I haven't converted one yet, just about ready to though after i get done rebuilding my cousins trans.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I can pic up auto cores fairly cheap around here. Manuals are outrageous.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, kinda.

There are 47rh's available to me but a core is $500ish.

No manuals for this guy. I'm to lazy
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good aftermarket converter vs stock is a night and day difference. Sure a lockup converter is nice but may not be worth the ha$$el.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

You will need, 2nd gen starter and adapter, torque converter, input shaft and reaction shaft, and valve body.
if you want the stronger case and beefier internals get the 47re and put re hard parts into your od using your outputshaft and case.

heres what JD730 said.

Originally Posted by JD730
There's a few ways to do it.

The cheapest way is the way 92 smokin blacky said. You change the input shaft and you with have to change the reaction shaft support (this is the part that sticks out of the front of the trans and the stator rides on inside the converter) or the whole front pump and the proper valve body of course and don't forget the proper engine bell housing adaptor and starter, though I'm thinking about drilling and tapping one bolt hole so I can use a 1st gen starter next time.
This method leave you with the less desirable not as strong in the rear band area A518.

The other way is to procure a 47RE, use the front section, switch the overdrive parts around using the A518 stuff, use the gears and such out of the RE and use the case and output shaft from the A518. Another thing you will have to do is switch the overdrive piston retainer to the correct style (this is the first part that goes on the trans, so you have to tear it down to a bare case, you need to be able to feed the governor signal through, make/buy a bushing for the connector or use the 10 pin connector and acquire a pig tail from the junk yard and use that for OD and lockup. And of course the proper valve body. By using the RE you get the stronger steel front planet.
On the valve body I need to see if you can use our valve body parts and the re valve body and make your own rh valve body out of the two.......Here in a couple months i'll know for sure i hope lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeFreak
On the valve body I need to see if you can use our valve body parts and the re valve body and make your own rh valve body out of the two.......Here in a couple months i'll know for sure i hope lol.
That would be just perfect. I can get an "RE" core cheap enough. The engine adapter isn't too bad to have shipped up. And if all it takes is a little drilling and tapping to reuse my 1st gen starter, let me at it
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM

That part confused me on the starter because i thought the 2nd gen starters were longer since the adapter is thicker, maybe i'm wrong i haven't looked real close at the adapter i have.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeFreak
That part confused me on the starter because i thought the 2nd gen starters were longer since the adapter is thicker, maybe i'm wrong i haven't looked real close at the adapter i have.
I was wondering that too. Sense they use the same flex plate, the starter would be in the same relative place. The only reason the adapter is thicker is to accommodate the longer torque converter. So yes, mabey it is possible.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Question?
If I'm using the 47RE front section, does it mater weather it is a 2wd or 4wd sense I'd be using the A518 OD case and output shaft.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM

front section doesn't matter, Just remember that the re has the big hole for the 10pin connector you'll have to deal with (which isn't a big deal) od sections are the only difference,

On the starter I forgot the ring gear is on the flex plate on the cummins i was thinking it was like most dodge stuff and its on the converter so.....a 1st gen should work as JD said.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM

I made my decision. Drum roll,,,,,,,,,,, And the winner is,,,,,,, #1, a heavy duty rebuild on the A518. There is a shop out here that sells transmission parts and rebuilds torque converters. After some thinking and comparing parts, he said he can build me a very low stall (strong and tight) torque converter by using (and a little modifying) a stator from another TQ. The transmission itself is getting upgraded parts including steel planetariums. The guy that will be overhauling the trans works out of his garage (retired tranny guy) so labor cost is going to be fairly low. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The OD just started grinding on mine. Tranny guy says the whole thing needs to be gone through, as the metal from whatever started to shred is everywhere.

So I guess I'm doing the same thing to my 46RH.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions