1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Death Wobble / Loose Front end .

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble / Loose Front end .

My 93 W-350 Club Cab LE Duallie Has had steering issues ever since I got the Truck About A Year ago. The previous owner did some work to the Pittman arm and got the steering wheel off center but it drove strait enough that I did not worry about it. Now that the Truck is my every day driver things are going bad quick. Very bad front end shake under braking and lots of play it the steering wheel. I have new Borgeson steering shaft on order. The alignment shop told me the king pins were tight but may have a bad rotor or spindle. Any Info Would Be Very Helpful.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 AM

I'd double check the kingpins, more specifically the nylon busing for the top one and the bearing and race for the bottom. I'm sure the pins themselves are good. A warped rotor can also contribute to the problem. Practically EVERYTHING was worn on mine, including the steering knuckles themselves. As an added bonus on the the idiot PO's had decided that "hand tight was good enough" on the jam nuts that preload the front wheel bearings, basically allowing the hub to slide laterally on the spindle!

You may also want to check your shocks. I've heard tell of people replacing them with some success in regards to Death Wobble.

Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 93 RAM W-350
My 93 W-350 Club Cab LE Duallie Has had steering issues ever since I got the Truck About A Year ago. The previous owner did some work to the Pittman arm and got the steering wheel off center but it drove strait enough that I did not worry about it. Now that the Truck is my every day driver things are going bad quick. Very bad front end shake under braking and lots of play it the steering wheel. I have new Borgeson steering shaft on order. The alignment shop told me the king pins were tight but may have a bad rotor or spindle. Any Info Would Be Very Helpful.
Turn or "replace" the front rotors,pack the bearings and add new seals while your there. fresh brake pads...of course and get a full grease gun and go to town on all the suspentions, grease zerks, make shore that the trunnion berings (what you called king pins) get lost of grease this time,just incase thay never have been,or havn't been greased for a long time!

After you get the borgeson shaft replace check all the suspension part or have the alignment shop do that for u. Some times it can be tricky trying to get the loose parts to so play if you don't now how to unload the suspenton to check.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Check for a cracked steering box bracket or a cracked frame, too.