1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dead injector pump??please help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dead injector pump??please help!!!!!!!

hey guys, I've been having some issues with my 93. truck has 590,000 kms. not miles, but still up there. since I've had the truck (5 months) ive done the power steering pump, rear end, transmission (good ol getrag) and now possibly the injector pump.. when I got the truck the lift pump was dead, truck still ran but I replaced it just to be safe and the old one was toast. so im thinking that did its damage to the IP. so a little over a month ago while driving it would hiccup a couple times on my way to work sometimes it wouldn't (hour drive). I left that job and now I work at manning park ski resort, 2.5 hour drive giver take. I've done drives where it hasn't skipped a beat and then sometimes it would crap out for a second then come back to normal. it does it 3-4 times in a row like dies then fine then dies ect, only for a split sec though. until tonight.... my drive up to work went well, I changed my fuel filter before I left, I had changed it when I did the LP. but coming home from work tonight the truck did it real bad, I pulled over to look over some things, went to go again and it flat out died. tried starting it and it wouldn't go. no phone service in the middle of no where at midnight at -10. not the most comforting feeling.. so I figured before I freeze to my death ill try and get it going somehow. I had a adj wrench so I cracked one inj line off the injector, tried starting it and still nothing. battery terminal was loose, fixed that but couldn't see that being a problem. waited a bit thinking what the hell I was going to do. tried it again with my foot to the floor and it started!! I wasted no time jumped on the bumper and tightened up the inj line. seemed to be spraying fuel good. so after tightening the line and mutilating my hand in the fan blade..... I continued on my drive home. I made it to the next highway approx. 20-25 min where I had service and no problems? half hour goes by running good still then it does it again but I kept it going by disengaging the clutch and revving the ____ out of it keeping it alive. after that episode it continued just fine. it bucked a couple more times not as intense ad the rest of the drive (45 min or so) went perfectly fine. I think I noticed a bit of a power decrease going up hills. but I could of just been paranoid to give it a bit more pedal. so that's my rant. what do you guys think??? im thinking the dead lift pump did its damage to the ip and now its finally quitting. it starts in my driveway as of right now. and ill be taking the 03 ctd to work Tuesday. don't trust this thing at all.. what the heck is wrong here!?!?!?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Power wire loose going to the fss? If you can get it to act up run a jumper from battery to fss and see if the problem disappears.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM

I 2nd checking that wire.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM

the wire does look a bit scary. if I pull the wire wile the trucks running it should shut off right? maybe ill wiggle it around and see. the weird thing is the road I drive at work is a really rough frozen road and I do about 80kmh on it and never had it act up there, just on the smooth highway. also seemed to bleed a lot of air out of the injector line when I cranked it over? cuz it started with the inj line craked
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1) When you clean up the connection on the FSS, don't just clean the spade and connector. Undo the nut and clean where the the spade attaches to the stud on the solenoid. I've seen one that was corroded under there.

2) Worked on a 1st gen once with the same symptoms as yours. It too had come in with a dead lift pump, then had running problems again shortly after. It turned out that the replacement lift pump had failed after about a week of use. Somewhat rare, but it does happen. Putting a fuel pressure gauge on it for testing would be helpful, especially if you could duplicate the condition while the gauge is installed.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM

the wires good. no issues there. fusable links seem to be fine. had the truck running neutral at 2000 rpms for a good period with a stick aganst the pedal and the seat. didn't have any problem. and I cant see where it would be getting air if it is. everything is tight. the only place I could think of is the quick connect feed line to the lift pump but it feels nice and tight. im stumped
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM

ive came up with a way to some what test the LP.its not 100% but seems to tell you somewhat. with the truck running push down on the prime lever and you can feel it moving inside. the old lift pump didn't have any feeling when I did that and my buddys 92 had a dead pump I tried that aswell and couldn't feel it moving. we put a new one on his and I pushed the lever and could feel it bumping the primer. not long after his ip died. my lp seems to be working. actually come to think of it I know its working. because when it was dead I did injectors first and at full throttle high rpm it would pop out the exhaust and miss fire really loud. starved for fuel. and after doing the LP that went away. and its still running great under full.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Hey Man, I live not far away from you...I'm over in Abbotsford. If you need any help with your injector pump let me know.

You can always pull the pump, clean and re-seal it and see what happens. Maybe when you get into the pump you'll find a problem? Cheaper to go this route then throw a new pump at it.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM

pm'd
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Cam plate return springs have a habbit of breaking, but when mine went south it just didn't like to idle, was ok over 2K, a small hiccup but never stalled out besides idle. Not saying all of them react in the same mannor.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
Cam plate return springs have a habit of breaking, but when mine went south it just didn't like to idle, was ok over 2K, a small hiccup but never stalled out besides idle. Not saying all of them react in the same manor.
Funny you mentioned those springs. I was thinking about his conditions the other day and wondered if those broken springs could cause a problem like what he's experiencing?