1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dead electrical sysytem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Jim,

What is an "EMP burst" ??

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Jim,

What is an "EMP burst" ??

Thanks.

Electro-magnetic pulse from solar flares that disrupt electronics, but it will have little effect on my 62 fairlane ...Mark
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I was thinking more like the detonation of a thermonuclear device.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html

I live right on the Pacific Coast.

Jim
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I was thinking more like the detonation of a thermonuclear device.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html

I live right on the Pacific Coast.

Jim
There was a recent solar flare that occurred on the far side of the sun, that could have shut down the grid if it had happened on this side, but nuclear explosions are good too ...Mark
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds to me the click is the grid heaters shutting off. i would put a battery in it....if its been more than 5 years probably due anyways.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks To everyone for your help. I have been on vacation and offline for a few weeks. I came back last week and have been driving the truck hoping it will do the same thing again so I can figure out what caused it in the first place. I am going to start checking all the grounds tomorrow as that seems to make the most sense. Again thatks to everyone who responded, Dan
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Ok, now I will show you another device that I have stowed away on my truck for emergencies and is stored nicely along with my emergency battery cable wrench.

Here you see them held onto the fender by 2 rare earth super magnets.

Here you will see a jumper wire, it is 14-gauge on one end I crimped on a good quality 1/4" female spade connector and to the other end a good insulated alligator clip.

Now what is this for you ask.

Answer,
I am prepared for the next EMP Burst for when my electrical system fails and I need to run my truck.

All that I will need to do is to locate my FSS on my injection pump,
Now simply unplug the factory connection at the top of the FSS,

And then firmly connect the one end of the jumper wire that has the female spade connector back to where you previously disconnected from the stock harness.

Now all that you need to do is to attach the alligator clip to a source of 12 volts to engage the fuel solenoid, now all that is needed is to start your truck and now it is running completely independent of you trucks electrical system

I really hope I do not have to use this in the event of an EMP but I have it just in case I am driving somewhere and I have a failure in my ignition system either intermittent of catastrophic.

It also will connect to any of the numerous relays controlling various functions of the truck such as headlights, blowers, ignition circuits, compressor clutch allowing me to activate them manually.

If you have this jumper, and your truck suddenly dies, you could run your truck totally independent of your trucks electrical system.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Jim
Jim, great item to have in your truck at all times. Question: There are two factory spade connectors (one pointing to the firewall and the other toward driver side fender). To bypass with your jumper you disconnected BOTH factory spade connectors and then only connected your jumper to the spade connector pointing to the driver side fender, correct?