1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dash Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Dash Light Bulbs

I am trying to find the factory gauge bulb style because I want to replace them with LED lights. I'm getting old and need brighter lights!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id go with superbrightleds.com and depends on what year your truck if it a one piece buld like my old one had they sell them and if its a removable bulb from the holder its just a 194 bulb
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I am trying to find the factory gauge bulb style because I want to replace them with LED lights. I'm getting old and need brighter lights!
The 194 replacements LEDs from SUPERBRIGHT LEDs work great.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

I used the WLED-xHP6 for all my dash lights. Both the illumination bulbs and the gauge lights themselves.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc

I used the WLED-xHP6 for all my dash lights. Both the illumination bulbs and the gauge lights themselves.

Hmmm. I can't find your exact light in there "WLED-xHP6".
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I found them. No clearance issues? How many did it take to do everything?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Mark, there is a writeup in the sticky, Jim Lane IIRC. I did mine and they are 50 times brighter. The only thing is that I did my blinker and hibeam indicator too bright. The good news is that I NEVER forget to turn them off Mark
Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 PM

I found them. No clearance issues? How many did it take to do everything?
I took out the bluer reflectors that were in there in stock form and never had clearance issues. IIRC there were 6 illumination bulbs , 5 gauge bulbs and 6 dummy indicator lights.

While I had the cluster apart, I also repainted the needles and coated the inside of the housing with chrome spray paint to reflect the light better. Kinda like Jim Lane's write-up where he used the shiny foil tape.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&postcount=15
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny, I was just into the guages on the ol' flatbed, replacing the speedo, re-bulbing, things of that nature.
Once I was done I turned on the parklamps and everything shined nice, but I noticed that the cluster lighting seemed dimmer towards the top, then I looked and there are NO bulbs actually situated to shine at the top.
First time I ever actually looked into it and it's no wonder people complain they can't see the guages, they really are poorly lit!

Mine are dfinitely brighter than they were, but that was because there was so much dust on the bulbs and inside the housing was coated BROWN.
Brown doesn't reflect much light.

Mark.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM

I want to do this. I also need to find and LED that will fit my ISSPRO pyrometer. I need to repaint the needle on that dude also.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
....but I noticed that the cluster lighting seemed dimmer towards the top, then I looked and there are NO bulbs actually situated to shine at the top.Mark.
The service manual shows a socket up there but marks it "not used". It might be possible to drill out the board and put a buld up at the top.
I suspect (like Apollo 13) the PCB was over amperage when they had seven incandescent bulbs in there, so they had to get rid of one.. Since LED draw so much less current, wouldn't hut at all to add it back.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM

I want to do this. I also need to find and LED that will fit my ISSPRO pyrometer. I need to repaint the needle on that dude also.
On my Banks Boost gauge, there was a lens in the mounting hole that wouldnt let the WLED-xHP6 fit. Careful inspection showed that the lens could be pried out to make room.

I haven't seen an ISSPRO one but perhaps the same could be done. Also if you dig around on the link I gave you there are several different configurations in different sizes. Some aren't much bigger than a standard 194.

Look at the WLED-xHP5
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Also if you dig around on the link I gave you there are several different configurations in different sizes. Some aren't much bigger than a standard 194.
www.superbrightleds.com offers so many different LED replacement options (for the 194 incandescent bulb) it is difficult to choose.

Does beam angle matter? Bulbs are available with beam angles from 32 degrees to 360 degrees. I'm guessing it wouldn't make much difference for the blinkers and high beam indicator, but what about for the white bulbs in the gauges?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by james1

does beam angle matter? Bulbs are available with beam angles from 32 degrees to 360 degrees. I'm guessing it wouldn't make much difference for the blinkers and high beam indicator, but what about for the white bulbs in the gauges?
tia
Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by james1
www.superbrightleds.com offers so many different LED replacement options (for the 194 incandescent bulb) it is difficult to choose.

Does beam angle matter? Bulbs are available with beam angles from 32 degrees to 360 degrees. I'm guessing it wouldn't make much difference for the blinkers and high beam indicator, but what about for the white bulbs in the gauges?

Yes the beam angle does matter, as you can see you need the light to flood the inside of the instrument cluster so you want it to project light 360* as you can see in my instrument cluster.

The pilot indicators for the turn signal, High Beam and any other indicators you might have only need to project light forward

Name:  IMG_4708.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  69.3 KB

I would highly recommend that you also install the metallic foil to the inside of the housing to reflect and evenly disperse the light.

Name:  IMG_4648.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  39.9 KB

This is how bright my instrument panel was before with the stock #194 lamps.

Name:  IMG_4132.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  12.8 KB

Here is how bright my instrument panel is using the LED's I bought from www.superbrightleds.com

Name:  IMG_4738.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  PowershotJune2008149.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  118.7 KB

These are the ones I used in Cool White.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...hp6.htm#photos

Here is the link to my write up in the sticky.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=209884

Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Great write-up as usual Jim!

Quick Reply: Dash Light Bulbs