1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dash board

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by simplysmn
Not if you are just changing out the dash and you can show paper work from someone you bought the dash from Besides is there really a number on theses frames I took apart 4 81-93 dodge truck's and Never found a vin on any of the frames
Iowa titles by the vin on the frame and they said its against the law to remove\add\tamper with any vin number. I'm going to ask what you do if you have to swap dashes....
Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
changing the tag over to a new dash is not an issue as long as the rest of the vin # match the truck and keep a receipt for the new dash in the glove box with the rest of the truck paper work. been there done that many many times. and for god sake everyone knows that the plastic trucks who ever makes them! now days are meant to decompose right before your eyes.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well then you change it out and just not say anything it's pretty hard to tell when you do re rivet the plate back on they look the same .
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have never said a thing about it.

Replacing the VIN on a broken up dash most states will understand, especially if the door tag, frame, cowl tag, cowl VIN Stamping (on Mexican built E/C or SUV Dodge vehicles) and all match up.

Just get a replacement dash with a sales receipt and do what's necessary to swap the tag around.

I can't believe the people here that would rather see a broken up dash with a "correctly applied" VIN, than a nice, unbroken dash?

BTW, there are indeed VIN numbers stamped on the frames on these trucks, they are usually incomplete and sometimes corrosion obscures them, but they are definitely there.

As far as the crying and whining about "Not Legal" most states provide ways to do "Assembled" or Reconstructed" vehicles.

I suggest y'all learn a little about those terms, as they apply in your states.

Mark.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Mark I can tell you both the crewcab's that i pulled apart and the 93 None had frame vin's I searched just to make sure plus my 85 crewcab that i am building doesnot have a Frame vin only Cowl and dash n door jam
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by simplysmn
Well then you change it out and just not say anything it's pretty hard to tell when you do re rivet the plate back on they look the same .
VIN plates are attached with a Rosette Rivet and is easy to tell from a pop rivet by a cop when he is looking at the tag, so if he suddenly ask you to step out of your vehicle and sit on the curb then you know he is wise to you.

Here is what they look like.

http://cudajunction.com/catalog/prod...products_id=34

Any body shop could transfer the tag for you.

You can buy Rosette Rivets online and do it yourself but be warned that in most states it is a felony to be in possession of a single rivet unless you are licensed Body Shop.

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VAL, They can be really hard to find, no doubt about it.
Soon as I can get out in the lot,(A foot of snow/ice here!) I'll post you pics of some on trucks I have here.

Once you've seen where they are, you'll never miss them again.

Mark.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta love canadian police, as long as the truck your driving is similar to what the ownership says, they dont ask to many questions
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
I would have never said a thing about it.

Replacing the VIN on a broken up dash most states will understand, especially if the door tag, frame, cowl tag, cowl VIN Stamping (on Mexican built E/C or SUV Dodge vehicles) and all match up.

Just get a replacement dash with a sales receipt and do what's necessary to swap the tag around.

I can't believe the people here that would rather see a broken up dash with a "correctly applied" VIN, than a nice, unbroken dash?

BTW, there are indeed VIN numbers stamped on the frames on these trucks, they are usually incomplete and sometimes corrosion obscures them, but they are definitely there.

As far as the crying and whining about "Not Legal" most states provide ways to do "Assembled" or Reconstructed" vehicles.

I suggest y'all learn a little about those terms, as they apply in your states.

Mark.
I never said i would rather see a cracked up dash, i'm just stating I'd rather jump through proper hoops and have proper paper work in place, And the Assembled\Reconsructed vehicles in iowa get a new vin number along with the old one, Others can do as they please i just stated what the iowa law said.