1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dana 70......Posi or Detroit Locker ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dana 70......Posi or Detroit Locker ????

Hey guy's, I have now ordered enough stuff to start making a little more power, since this is going to be my daily driver untill I can find a "MINT" Dually, I would like to put a POSI unit in it or maybe a locker......This truck was ordered with NOTHING except A/C and an Auto O/D....not even a posi unit.......anyway what do you think would be better for all year service ???? Keep in mind it is about HALF the cost to put a locker in.......Canucktrucks
Old 11-09-2004, 08:59 AM

Personally, I'd go with a limited slip. A Detroit can be downright scary on icy roads.

I have Detroits in both ends of my Jeep, and I'd never use them for a daily driver where there was a lot of snow and ice. The Detroit also has some "quirks," but with the longer wheelbase and automatic they would be much less noticable in the truck than my Jeep.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Dana 70......Posi or Detroit Locker ????

Originally posted by canucktrucks
Keep in mind it is about HALF the cost to put a locker in.......Canucktrucks [/B]
Howdy, I live about a hour from TO. I'm not sure about half the cost for the locker..........unless you mean one of those silly lock-rites, or similar, that just replace the spiders and side gears and retain the existing carrier. These units have their place - but not in a CTD Dodge. They are considerably weaker than a full carrier locker. I would suggest a Dana powr-lok posi. IMO, this is the strongest and most durable posi out there and if the truck sees a fair bit of street use you won't have to put up with all the locker's poor street manners.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:13 AM

I would vote for the powr-lok. By far the strongest limited slip "pozi" for a dana.

"Powr-Lok (P/L)
This clutch type limited slip is the strongest and most aggressive limited slip differential available from Dana Spicer. It is a clutch type unit using floating cross shafts that ride up on ramps in the case. When power is applied, the shafts ride up the ramps and load the clutches for a positive engagement. A Power-Lok will not lock up 100%, but it is a very durable unit that will hold up fairly well with tall tires. It can be rebuilt, and can be set up smooth or aggressive by changing the clutch design or stacking configuration. Powr-Loks are easily identified by their 2-piece case. They are a very strong unit due to the 4 spider gear design that provides twice as many teeth to carry the load as a 2 spider gear unit does. However, the case bolts can stretch or loosen after severe use over time."
Old 11-09-2004, 11:09 AM

Personally, I'd go with a limited slip. A Detroit can be downright scary on icy roads.
One man's scare is another man's playtime

In all honesty, unless you get heavy on the coal, it's controllable. But other than a daily driver what do you plan to do with the truck? If it's just going to see street duty/towing, I'd stick with a limited slip, but if you're going to pull sleds or get into the muck, then I'd say locker. It's manners are,,,it's manners, but they're livable, and after awhile you don't notice it anymore, just gotta be careful when it's slick out to keep your foot from getting buried. It'll let you know real quick when you're pushing too hard

One advantage... In 4wd low on dirt I can hold it to the floor and it takes off like I was launching on the street
Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 AM

You might want to look at an ARB air locker, full posi when you want it and open when you dont.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The ARB has no limited slip feature - it is an open carrier or spooled when locked. The E-locker does offer a limited slip when unlocked and so does the eletrac from Detroit but these units are far from "tried and true". I can't really comment on the real world durability of either of those two lockers.

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Unless you're stuck, an open diff is the best thing on slippery roads. My '85 D250 with skinny little tires and 500 pounds of cement blocks over the axles got me through deep snow (passed school busses stuck on hills) without fail. Open diffs are very forgiving of stupid driving. I've driven both lockers and limited slips on slippery surfaces. You do have to be a little more careful with the locker than with the LS, but it's not much of a difference. They'll both bite you in the butt if you get stupid with the skinny pedal, but that's the nature of the beast. If you loop the truck with a locker, it would've looped with an LS, too. You can't blame the diff for a heavy foot. If you don't mind the bang when the thing unlocks when you go around corners, get a locker. If it stops banging, look for a broken axle. I drove a bus around for a couple of weeks before the other axle broke. I thought it got kinda quiet back there.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:10 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Dodge LS is a very good unit. Even if one wheel is off the ground you can feather the brake and get it to lock and put some serious power to the traction tire. Around town you may never know it's there except for a chirp sometimes on right hand corners. In sand it just works and I was surprised where I could go. No drama, just excellent traction.

Wetspirit
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I'd cast my vote for the LS as well.... in fact I have one that needs to be incorporated into MY open diff too. Dumb bunnies that chose the "open" ....some people.

pastor bob...
Old 11-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Banned

what about us poor bastards w/ a D80? I know about drilling out the bolt holes on a Detroit... can the same be done to a factory D70 limited slip?

forrest