1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dana 70 came apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 70 came apart

What would make a Dana 70 axle slide out of the rear differential while driving? I was late last night and pouring down rain so I wasn't messing with it, I just left it along side of the road. If anyone has any info on a place to get a D70 dually rear 3.54 geared, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Why don't you do a Dana 80 conversion?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 93Fury
What would make a Dana 70 axle slide out of the rear differential while driving?
The only way for that to happen is for the bolts holding the axle flange to hub to have either:
1) fallen out (loose & backed out\holes stripped)
2) sheared off
3) someone took them

If they were missing entirely or I could get (at least 3 of) the broken shanks out, I'd likely rob 3-4 bolts from the opposite side, push the axle back in (after checking for any damage to the ends of the splines), bolt it in and head home REAL slowly. Much better resources there than on the roadside!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Well, every bolt that holds the axle in is still intact. I got out of work late tonight so I didn't have time to go work on it before it got dark. Is it possible that the something happened to the big nut inside the hub, like break or back off for some mysterious reason? I am going to go pick it up and yank it apart tomorrow after work. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. Oh and its a wonderful Jasper rear. I am starting to have my doubts about them anymore.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Did the hub come out with the axle? If it did the nut either backed off or the wheel bearings got chewed.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i remember right, that big nut is only holding the bearing in place and the 8 or so bolts hold the axle in place. Perhaps something let loose in the differential.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
if i remember right, that big nut is only holding the bearing in place and the 8 or so bolts hold the axle in place. Perhaps something let loose in the differential.
i do believe the axle flange bolts hold the axle to the brake drum/ wheel bearing assembly that is held on by the big nut, if the nut came off the whole axle/brake drum could slide out.
i THINK, dont quote me.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Did the wheel come off , or just the axle shaft? The shaft can only come out if the 8 bolts (or nuts if you have studs) come off. I had the bolts back out on mine, but luckily I saw it before they came the whole way out.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On a full floater rear. ( like ours ) the hub and axle assembly is held by the wheel bearings. The smaller rears are the ones that is retained by a c clip in the carrier or a bolted flange on the end of the tubes.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I have been into mine several times because of brakes and bearings since I bought the truck. The hub holds the axle. If the wheel bearing nut came off or if there is a major wheel bearing failure the whole wheel hub and axle assembly will come out. The passenger side nut tends to overtighten if the lock ring loosens. The driver's side will tend to loosen. I just had to replace the passenger side bearings and seals because the nut worked itself too tight due in part to a PO that thought a nail stuck in the groove on the axle would hold the nut.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Oh yeah, brake drum and all came out.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Location: anderson commiefornia oh ya you can keep the "change"
then the big nut came off they have a safety clip and there kinda hard for the nut to run over that but it can be done I HAVE DONE IT with a wrench before when i wasn't paying attention
Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbaddiesel416
then the big nut came off they have a safety clip and there kinda hard for the nut to run over that but it can be done I HAVE DONE IT with a wrench before when i wasn't paying attention
I suppose the clip only works if it is there. Mine was replaced with a nail. I bought nylock nuts and used tab washers the first time I had the drums off. After the passenger side bearing failure I drilled and tapped the nut so a 1/4 20 hex head cap screw would engage the groove in the axle tube. The cheap tab washer that you get off a card tree at the auto parts store are thin and aren't quite strong enough for the job.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

Location: anderson commiefornia oh ya you can keep the "change"
Originally Posted by Boatnik
I suppose the clip only works if it is there. Mine was replaced with a nail. I bought nylock nuts and used tab washers the first time I had the drums off. After the passenger side bearing failure I drilled and tapped the nut so a 1/4 20 hex head cap screw would engage the groove in the axle tube. The cheap tab washer that you get off a card tree at the auto parts store are thin and aren't quite strong enough for the job.
well there you go like i said i ran the stockers over with the nut and didnt notice
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Sorry to hear it's more that the axle retaining bolts... hopefully, it didn't booger the threadd on the spindle and you be able to to get it re-assembled without a bunch of headache.

Originally Posted by 93Fury
its a wonderful Jasper rear. I am starting to have my doubts about them anymore.
20+ years ago I worked for a service company with a fleet of 6.9L Ferd diesels. While the engines held up great to hauling, the auto tranny's (BIG mistake in my opinion for 3/4-1 ton trucks w/ service bodies & 5k# of parts + 6k-10k# trailered loads EVERYDAY) were dieing like flies! We had so many failing, the owner ended up buying them 3 at a time and when we got down to 1, it was time for another batch. After replacing the 20th Jasper reman (had it down so well, we could do it inside of 2 hours without a lift! several were done roadside ), he finally bought JY cores and had them rebuilt by a local old timer. This guy put in a few upgrade goodies and MADE him add huge aux. coolers (even the 1st gen F-Super Duty had tiny coolers that looked like power steering coolers) to all he rebuilt. We had a few go out, but it took years instead of days/weeks.

After that, my view of Jasper has never been very good.

OTOH, I was always rolling because mine had the old T-19 4spd and NEVER missed a lick!

Quick Reply: Dana 70 came apart