1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dana 70

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dana 70

anyone know of a source for the seal sleeve needed to stop oil leaking from the axle on rear diff? also any luck with the installation and final results?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
The oil slingers that were put on at the factory? I destroyed mine by not knowing how to get them off properly...still don't. No I have not come across them anywhere.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
The oil slingers that were put on at the factory? I destroyed mine by not knowing how to get them off properly...still don't. No I have not come across them anywhere.
Mine are a bit battered but usable. I have a new set of drums to install, and at that time I plan to give the slingers some TLC, maybe even a spot of brazing or silver solder if needed. They are very valuable. They are held in place by pinch between the brake drum and the bearing hub.

When I was bringing my truck home from Seattle, the right rear wheel seal was bad. I came down the East Glacier grade, pulling a fiver and unfamiliar with the road, and had to really lay on the service brakes. When I got to the bottom the flagman there was running for a fire extinguisher. It didn't catch fire, but made a lot of smoke. Brakes were never affected in any way as all the grease was on the outside.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 PM

sorry I didn't explain things good enough. no the oil slingers are working fine. the problem lies with the hub seal leaking. new seal still leaks. the area the seal rides on is not perfect. it doesn't look that bad but the seal still leaks. what I am asking if anyone has put on a speedy sleeve, on the axle tube where the seal rides to stop the seal from leaking? if so what results and where did you get them? I hate to do long trips with it leaking. thanks again.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by ***** wagon
sorry I didn't explain things good enough. no the oil slingers are working fine. the problem lies with the hub seal leaking. new seal still leaks. the area the seal rides on is not perfect. it doesn't look that bad but the seal still leaks. what I am asking if anyone has put on a speedy sleeve, on the axle tube where the seal rides to stop the seal from leaking? if so what results and where did you get them? I hate to do long trips with it leaking. thanks again.
There are 2 different almost identical seals that fit our trucks, and are specified for our trucks. They have the same exact OD, but the id is slightly smaller on one of them. That's the one (i found on my truck), that wouldn't seal, as it heats up, and distorts. It's the one that fits "looser" that works properly.

Make sure you're using the correct seal first.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine in 2014. The Speedy P/N I used came from NAPA 99287. would measure your axle carefully because there are 2 different seal sizes. Mine went on my 1993 D250. In the last 2 years I have not seen any problems with either side.

Bob
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put sleeves on my dana 71 spindles. Someone on here did a really good write up on how to install the speedy sleeves. I had a good bit of leak trouble & determined it was the type of seals i had used.
If i had to do it again, i think i would try a "oil bath" type seal 1st. It may be a easier, quicker fix. Oil bath seals provide there own inner surface for the seal to ride on. They are kinda pricey though.
I also determined the hard way that you want a seal without a dust lip on these diffs. Do a search on axle seals or hub seals. There's a ton of good info on this site.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 370 Likes on 307 Posts
You can smooth out the sealing surface with JB weld. Done it on pitted front axle shafts too.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM

so i installed the speedy sleeve, lots of filling because it was a generic sleeve. not enough time on it yet to see if it leaks. hope it is cured once and for all. plus also got rid of the little u clips on the axle nut and have double nutted things , I feel a much better plan.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I think someone posted a link showing a more industrial dual seal. The seal has a new inner race to wear on which is retained on the axle tube by rubber orings. Looked slick and were 30 ish on amazon.

Never seen speedy sleeves provide good service life in this situation.

Michael
Old 01-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I would think that no matter how battered up the original surface is, if it were deburred (think gentle hand file) and a stainless sleeve installed with loctite sleeve retainer under it, it would have to be as good as or better than new. No way it would leak under it. Fit could be a couple of thou loose and still work well.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:57 PM

well I hope it last for a reasonable time. that being said I would like to know about the seal you mentioned these housings are all getting old so that may be a good fix.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
370150a at advance auto is what I used. it is an oil bath seal for the front of a gmc topkick and is a unitized seal that has an integrated wear sleeve. The sleeve seals to the spindle with rubber ribs. I have not had any leaks since.

I also suggest that you check your differential vent, mine was plugged and was the cause of most of my leaks.