1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dad Blamed Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by loch
My sisters truck 93 dually does same thing. I replaced motor mount and its again laying over. both mounts as tranny mounts are new, i tried lift motor on passenger side to try slip it sideways but to no avail. I havent had time get back on it.
It's starting to look more and more like something is bent. If so I will have to make motor mount extensions

I need to find a big "bag-o-cash" somewhere to make my truck whole again. I need new calipers and rotors, rest of the parts for the rear disc conversion, bed weld, firewall weld/fortification, a fix for the shutdown solenoid,......and a fix for the motor rolover trick. Sit boy, heal.
"speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go?"
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
It's starting to look more and more like something is bent. If so I will have to make motor mount extensions

I need to find a big "bag-o-cash" somewhere to make my truck whole again. I need new calipers and rotors, rest of the parts for the rear disc conversion, bed weld, firewall weld/fortification, a fix for the shutdown solenoid,......and a fix for the motor rolover trick. Sit boy, heal.
"speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go?"
Actually, I think it's "How fast can you afford to go?"
Old 12-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Actually, I think it's "How fast can you afford to go?"
Yea, you are right.
I changed the passenger side mount tonight, loosened the drivers side mount so I could get a favorable roll out of the engine, which I did, but I bent the pan a bit with the board I had on top of the jack. I was going to change the drivers side too but the NAPA mount looks like it's for a gasser. The metal is less than 1/2 as think as the stock mount AND the AutoZone mount. I will have to change the other out soon, but at least I corrected the main problem. Hope I didn't smash the pan into the oil pickup!
By the way, take the fan shroud off before you change a mount. Luckily mine was already broken...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i tried jack pass side up to let motor slip but entire engine came up i couldnt get it to twist.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by loch
i tried jack pass side up to let motor slip but entire engine came up i couldnt get it to twist.
Everything has to be just right to get any roll at all. I got lucky. There is an alignment bump on the bottom side the the mounts that try to keep them "centered", but if the engine comes up just enough and the drivers side mount is loose but not too loose you can get a roll. I kept tightening the pasenger side mount as I let it down slowly to sort of force a roll. Seemed to do the trick.