1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Customize your stock Holset Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fatt
What are you talking about? A BOV is totally different than a wastegate...
I should have said for a stock Holset.

I should have said, "If you want one to just have one, either will "work". It will be bling and you can impress the local Hondas and JDM's."

Yes, 2 different things. I was wanting him to improve his knowledge so he can then help others, while knowing what each one does and which would be beneficial.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon1
Your turbo isn't stock and you still don't need a blow off.
that was with a stock turbo ..before I up graded .and i guess I didnt need a blow off my head gasket took care of that for me.and with out a waste gate or blow off you have to turn down the fuel to keep from blowing a stock HG with stock head bolts and tq
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI none of the first gens ever had a wastegate from the factory.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Seems to be some confusion.

A Blow Off Valve sits on the intake side of the turbo. When it senses vacuum the internal piston/valve within the BOV is instantly opened the moment you let off the gas, allowing the charged air an ALTERNATE route to take instead of flowing backwards through the turbo. It can now vent to the atmosphere, which eliminates compressor surge and maintains spool up of the turbo during the shift (manual).

A Wastegate's ONLY function is the regulate the maximum boost pressure that the turbo will provide.

Similar to a BOV, the wastegate also has a piston/valve that is opened, however NOT by vacuum like the BOV, it is opened from the exact OPPOSITE - boost pressure. That's what makes them different from each other.

The wastegate has a spring inside of it (internal and external wastegate) that hold the piston/valve shut. The vacuum line attached to the side of a wastegate allows the boosted air to enter the lower chamber of the wastegate and when the boost pressure inside the wastegate OVERCOMES the spring holding the pison/valve closed, it cause it to open which allows the exhaust gases that normally flow through the turbo, to exit via the wastegate.

Because the exhaust gases now have an alternate route to take, the turbo can no longer continue to spool up and create higher boost pressures. Therefore it will maintain the same boost pressure that the spring is set at.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 PM

about time someone explaned it right. Thank you sir this thread needed that.