1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Currently swapping to getrag

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently swapping to getrag

I am in the process of trading my 518 and transfer case and all extras for a getrag and transfer case setup. the getrag has 150000 miles on it and has been rebuilt once. While I have it out of the truck i am going to go ahead and put a con-0 clutch in it. I was wondering if I should worry about checking the bearing preload since the transmission will be out anyways. The trans shifts fine as of now. I just want to make sure i get everything done right the first time while so i dont need to pull it out of my truck once its in. Any other recommendations for this swap would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 AM
alwaysonDTR

might as well check it and maybe reseal it,
getrags are know for leaking, but neither of mine do and yes they have oil in them
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 AM

You better search PapeCAT's posts and threads. He did the Getrag swap the right way and has the correct info on set-up for the transmission, flywheel etc. Your going to want to put a bearing in the flywheel instead of a bushing IIRC, And if that clutch is good, don't fix it if it ain't broke... 13" sacs clutch is good stuff. And don't listen to any of these NV4500 guys...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM

what all is involved in the bearing swap? machining? part#s, etc.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM

I took my local machine shop about 10 min. to do mine and the bearing was about 10 dollars.If it was mine i would rebuild it,less than 300 dollars will get your basic kit bearings,syncro's,seals,and gasket.I've done 3 of them not to bad of a job realy.Then their is no ? on what's in side the tranny.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 PM

my plan is to pop off the cover and check for freeplay and look for wear. if it looks ok, ill leave it. Can anyone tell me the bearing and the machining specs i need?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
BHD

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts
Bogurt,
Check your shift forks for wear also. Mine had excess amounts of wear on the 1-2 fork. I have heard a lot about the pilot bearing install, and would probably be a good idea (besides thats how big trucks are built) but I didn't do it when I swapped to the G360 because 1) I didn't know any different, and 2) my donor had 230+k miles on it with no obvious signs of failure. Oh and it still had the original Sach's clutch which I would have reused but it had 1 broken finger and the lining was loose on the rivets, Sach's clutches are no joke. Just my 2 cents, good luck with the swap.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogurt
While I have it out of the truck i am going to go ahead and put a con-0 clutch in it.
Make sure you get the 13" version. The center on the small one is weak.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM

i actually decided against a new clutch for monetary reasons. The clutch that is in it is a replacement sachs unit with under 50,000 miles. as long as it looks good coming out of the donor, im going to use it. I think i should be fine since my truck will only be putting out around 260 hp on #2 only. Again, where do i find specs for the bearing conversion. I am not a tdr member.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Here it is, from the "Sticky's" in "Definitive Threads".

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&page=5&pp=15
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM

If you were to buy the con O, it would come with the flywheel and the roller pilot bearing. Since your not, you have to press it out and press a new one in the flywheel. (which has to be machined bigger i believe)

BTW, dont buy the con O. Not worth the money.

Im gonna try and warranty mine. It chatters and doesnt hold up to ANY kind of abuse, even after a proper breakin and super clean install.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Make sure you get the 13" version. The center on the small one is weak.
When I bought mine it had a little blurb on a piece of paper in the box about how their older clutches had problems with this (center section breaking), and that they no longer have these problems.

As far as how true that is, no clue. Just thought I would pass that along.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM

i saw the part on bearing clearances. but, im looking for the info and specs for having a bearing pressed into the flywheel after machining it to some specifications. I cant access the tdr website.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM

That info is not available on TDR to my knowledge... I am a member there. PM PapeCAT is my advice, and/or call Southbend.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Hello Bogart.

I don't know who all supplies the input shaft bearing but I have bought two from:

http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Engine%20&%20Clutch.htm

about halfway down the page, the item description is "QU51010 HD Ball Pilot Bearing $19.75"

Order it, take it to your local trusty machine shop along with your flywheel and ask them to bore it out enough to press in the input shaft ball bearing along with a good resurfacing and you'll come away a happy man. I don't know what tolerances that ball bearing is machined to, but it is best to have them do the measuring and machining themselves to get a good press fit. If you give them some numbers that are a few hundredths too large for some reason you are up poop creek without a paddle.

Quick Reply: Currently swapping to getrag