1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cummins remarks about Pyrometer Probe

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins remarks about Pyrometer Probe

Not meaning to string this post out but I figure why not go to the source and ask the engine manufacture. I wrote to Cummins and ask them about the Pyrometer Probe and where did they recommend the probe to be installed. Below is what they wrote back to me:

Summary: 60328 Pyrometer Probe Install Location?

Solution:

Thanks for your Email message.

Under full load, most Cummins engines produce exhaust temperatures in the cylinder about 1300 degF or so, on the engine dynomometer. Typically, over-the-road trucks measure EGT from two to six inches after the turbocharger in the exhaust pipe and at that point the EGT temp will be in the 700 to 900 degF range, under 'full load'.

In the Dodge Ram application, it is not likely the engine could be ran at 'full load' operation in the chassis but if it could or if overfueled, the exhaust EGT ahead of the turbocharger should not exceed the 900 to 1100 degF range. The exact temperature will vary on different applications with different pyrometers and the location of the temperature probe.

The pyrometer measures exhaust temperature and the probe is usually mounted about 2 to 6 inches from the turbo outlet (after the turbo) and in that area the exhaust temperature under 'full load' conditions should be in the 700 to 900 degF range. The pyrometer probe could be installed ahead of the turbo for maximum exhaust temperature out of the cylinders (900 to 1100 degF), however, if the probe ever fails it goes directly into the turbocharger and will likely cause a catastrophic failure of the turbocharger. So install it after the turbo.

We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. Please let us know if you need assistance in locating the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider. For assistance in locating a Service Provider, feel free to use Cummins North America Dealer Locator, which can be found on Cummins website:
http://www.cummins.com/service_locator/index.cfm

Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) at 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357). Customers may also call Cummins switchboard 1-812-377-5000 (worldwide toll call) and ask for the 800-DIESELS Call Center for assistance.

Email direct: powermaster@cummins.com

Regards,
--
Powermaster
Customer Assistance Center
Cummins, Inc.
Columbus, Indiana, USA

Old 11-26-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Cummins remarks about Pyrometer Probe

900 to 1100 degrees, if over fueled pre turbo Anyone know anybody thats running an over fueled Cummins : : : Not me ;D ;D

Bob
Old 11-26-2003, 07:51 PM

I guess when I saw 1000* the other day it was a figment of my imagination Oh well, old men have bad eyes anyway.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:05 PM

[move]hmmm i guess i dont need the probe in it going up hill's driving it like i stole it at 1200[/move]
Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be 100X more worried about my exhaust temps blowing the pistons than a little probe tip through the turbo.

Turbo $1200 if you can rebuild some of it.
Engine.. $5000 and up depending on the damage.

You choose...

1100°F pre turbo max.. . Boy they sure ride close to the line those boys. : And there is nothing you can do to over fuel their engines without their ECM.. Brother, I don't think they know how much $$ they could make in the aftermarket world.

J-eh
Old 11-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Hey I like the scrolling response... how'd you do that/????

I'm going to play "devils' advocate" here....

In order to get the big "C" to reply like that takes some pretty forward thinking, or atleast some forward movement in an otherwise "mentally land locked" outfit...

Even acknowledging "overfueling" is a step forward.....
They don't seem to have gone far enough forward, or had anyone do some real world "abuse" testing like we do though...
That is why they don't allow a safety margin in the post-turbo mount issue.... you know,,,, the 10*F for every 1 pound of boost which has an increasing error factor over a rough level of 25'ish psi......
Still, I am pleasantly surprised to be honest...After all none of us are nuts enought to break 1200*F never mind hit 1800*F ...egadss.... :

Pastor bob....
Old 11-27-2003, 01:28 AM

I'm so confused.

Well,, I guess that's it. It's all over. Now all of us have to put our trucks back to stock and put the probe where they said to.
It was fun while it lasted.

sniffle

Dave

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2003, 02:12 AM

Now where did they say to put the probe?????
Old 11-29-2003, 12:34 AM

Well, if I read Cummins reply correctly, they are saying we're too old for this stuff and our mothers dress us funny for girls, and that we should put the probe up our *****.
But then, I live in Snohomish county and I should have said,"OK, whatever you think".

Afore said statements in no way disrespect the female gender, the older gender, and no sexual harassment is implied.

ha ha ha ha ha -----

sorry, lost my mind for a moment

Dave
Old 11-29-2003, 01:25 AM

Careful what you say 'bout Old Men. Ummmm, darn, now I can't remember what ya said.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:21 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Our trucks are never "Overfueled",
They're just "Underturboed".
Old 11-29-2003, 08:09 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=9;threadid=22902;start=0#msg215554 date=1070112086]
Our trucks are never "Overfueled",
They're just "Underturboed".
[/quote]
Old 09-03-2004, 12:00 AM

As a Cummins representative, I think he is just being cautious with his remarks. If he actually said to put the probe pre-turbo someone would take that as a liable statement and sue Cummins for telling them to do that.

Rod

2003 Ram 3500,SLT,LWB,Quad Cab,5.9L6,H.O.,4x4,Auto 48RE,
K&N FIPK, Hog Performance 4" SS Exhaust, Innovation Topper
Old 09-04-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Im on the back of the turbo about 3-4 inches from the turbo. I run 1050-1100 loaded hammered down. Now I can certainly get it hotter but those are my self imposed limits.

On a side note my turbo car cruises at 1300 and gets to 1780 drag racing.... Wonder why the Cummins components are limited to lower temps?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:17 PM

Consider that the pistons have some alumuminum(sp) in the make up of the pistons On that next engine, they are OUTA THERE! I've seen some cerramic coated ones somewhere..but theres years for that

Quick Reply: Cummins remarks about Pyrometer Probe