1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crewcab update...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 05:29 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Now that suspension was done it was steering box time, the output shaft seals had been leaking for over 4 years so definitely time to get this done, and since the steering coupler would be out as well I put another rebuild kit in it.

Kit I got for the output seals...

Crewcab update...-bbcb7pph.jpg

Crewcab update...-r1awjmgh.jpg

Fairly straight forward...remove snap ring, then drill a couple holes 180* apart and use 2 screws to pull the seals out...then re-install the new parts.

Then back on the truck it goes...

Crewcab update...-grizvbwh.jpg

So next was the steering coupler...I only seem to get about 2 years out of a rebuild, even with a grease nipple installed and fresh grease pumped in at least 3-4 times a year. This time the hole for the cross shaft had wallowed out so had to toss a couple welds and hand file it down so it would be nice and snug.

Crewcab update...-esrpsomh.jpg

Crewcab update...-cm4xwqih.jpg

And since I had a spare shock boot I thought I'd try to use it as a bit of a water/debris shield. Then it was reassemble with the new parts and the PITA of getting that **** cap locked in place...

Crewcab update...-5wzpzqoh.jpg

Crewcab update...-eysd2jgh.jpg

Crewcab update...-hsz05uhh.jpg

Got everything back in the truck and started to bleed the PS system...that turned into a n off and on 2 week ordeal. I couldn't get all the air out of the system, after what seemed like hours of turning the wheels back and forth with the motor off, and with brief fire ups to turn the wheels back and forth, with the wheels the air it still had air trapped somewhere. I figured it had to be in the steering box so I loosened the lines, turned the wheels and and heard some glurping and farting and it seemed better, tightened the lines back up and fired it up and it didn't immediately foam up so that was a good sign, came back the next day all was well!

Old 04-10-2022, 05:44 AM

Then I decided that the front RH fender needed some paint since it had been slowly getting worse every winter....so sanded it down quickly and got ready for paint.

Crewcab update...-wnuslcnh.jpg

Decided to try the roll on tremclad/rustoleum I'd come across on-line since I didn't really care to much how the paint turned out since anything would have been better then what was on there. I also had to fix some old body work filler that had cracked in the passenger side door, and a couple spotson the hood front edge that were rusting/pealing, so thought it was a good time to paint that as well.

Crewcab update...-igi8661h.jpg

Bought a can of gloss white tremclad and mixed it with mineral spirits until it was thick enough that when you pulled a metal spoon out it would take 3 seconds before a drip would start. Then it was use a small 3" foam roller and start getting it on. since it was on the truck I had to sit and keep rolling it until it started to set up and stopped running, even then I had some pretty big runs. Once dry I wet sanded it with some 400 grit and then put another coat on...think I did 3-4 coats and for crappy prep work and even worse wet sanding it actually all turned out much better then I had hoped, with a little more care I think you could get a pretty decent paint job done this way.

Crewcab update...-6gjcw5fh.jpg

Crewcab update...-irwbpfah.jpg

The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (04-10-2022), edwinsmith (04-10-2022), StealthDiesel (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 06:02 AM

I also removed the drip rail sealant along the front edge...AGAIN! This is the third or fourth time I've re-done this because it never stays sealed and allows water to get in under it and make the rust that is present a little bit worse... Eventually I'm going to have to pull the roof skin and address the rust...glad I pulled a complete roof off a crewcab that was in a wreckers years ago...it's in a lot better shape then mine is.

Crewcab update...-zgedzv1h.jpg

Crewcab update...-cnkox9oh.jpg

Crewcab update...-4pqhexvh.jpg

Crewcab update...-plyqsx5h.jpg

Also re-sealed the front glass since water had been dripping in from several places for a couple years now....removed the old dry and cracking chrome locking strip from 7 years ago, and replaced with a plain round rubber locking strip that I had to pull from one of my parts trucks in the dead of winter. Think it was in the -25*C range and snowing, this was an ordeal with a propane torch to slowly warm up a 4-6" area then carefully pull the strip out, then move along and around until I had it all free, probably took me a couple hours from shoveling snow to having the locking strip in hand.

Finding windshield urethane that wasn't "fast setting" was a PITA since all the new windshields it's set the bead, place the glass and wait 30-60 minutes and it's ready to go, no old rubber window gaskets now a days. Eventually I found a tube of what I needed and got to work, I pulled the seal back on the top and sides and put sealant between the seal and body, then between the glass and the seal on the outside, then locking ring and wait for it to dry and clean off the excess...haven't had any interior leaks since!
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (04-10-2022), StealthDiesel (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 08:52 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Nice work getting her ready for another few years of enjoying it on the road!
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I saw on FBBO (I'm Basketcase over there) you're getting your Coronet back! Any timeline for that?
thrashingcows (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
I saw on FBBO (I'm Basketcase over there) you're getting your Coronet back! Any timeline for that?
Yeah still can't believe I'll be getting it back!

As for when this will all happen...next couple months probably, I asked if he was in any rush to get the car out of his shop and he said no he's fine with however long it takes. But the Guy wants cash so been trying to figure that out, but from my initial contacts with the bank it doesn't sound like that will be a viable option.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:29 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
when I got my road runner, the seller wanted cash too. Now this was only $9000, but I told him I wasn't traveling from Ohio to Michigan with that much cash, so we agreed on a Bank check. I looked the car over, then we went to his bank and he deposited the check. I would imagine your Coronet is just TAD more than mine was, and I sure wouldn't want that kind of loot on me.
thrashingcows (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 10:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
May of last year I sold a 426 HEMI & some other parts to a guy in Arizona or Texas, we settled on 20K, I said cash, he drove up & we spent some time counting it & I asked him to follow me to my bank so they could check the 100's. All was good! I have been shafted before on deals.
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutdarts:
Blue Goose (04-11-2022), thrashingcows (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:07 AM

The car is over 4300 miles away from me...so I'm not flying with that much cash on me. I deal with a large national bank and figured I could give them a couple weeks notice and just set up the cash withdrawal with a bank in his area of the country, then fly in and go to the bank and pick up the money....but it turns out that they are not keen on this for the simple fact that I'm not from the "area" and they are hesitant to release those kinds of funds because of this.

Here's a link to my post over on FBBO if anyone is interested in more info...

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...d-cars.241209/

The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (04-11-2022), nothingbutdarts (04-12-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:31 PM

Well I have been working on getting the old 77 Vanguard camper and Ol' Patches sorted out and ready for the vacation my daughter and I had been planning for several years now...was put on hold due to covid and this August was to be our time. We were to have traveled through WA, OR, CA, NV for 9-10 days hitting national parks and sites along the way.

And this is why you build a big tall shop with wide doors!

Crewcab update...-dlpvbdlh.jpg

Pretty much ready to go....

Crewcab update...-qvqc8clh.jpg

Crewcab update...-rwr2fa2h.jpg

Bought the Camper end of April and between finding the Coronet, everything involved with the purchase and shipping, work nights and then all the repairs/upgrades needed on the camper and Patches I have been run ragged these last 3 months or so. I was one work day away from leaving on our trip...scrambling to get the last few things sorted out on the truck and camper and I started to feel sick, wife say I shouldn't go into work because I was so ill and whips out one of her at home Covid tests....she works for the public health system in our area now so gets the rapid tests free, and well you guessed it I got covid!

So I had to cancel our trip and I've been stuck at home sick, like a really bad head cold with aches and pains, lots of coughing and migraines, lethargic and easily exhausted..and the 80% loss of taste and smell. Been cooped up at home now 5 days and starting to feel better so on the mend now....but sad/mad I put all that time and effort into getting ready for the trip and now it's a no go, but that's life sometimes.

Will see about re-scheduling it perhaps later this fall, or maybe plan again for next year but daughter might be going away to college so this might have been our last chance at a Father/Daughter holiday.
edwinsmith (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 08:09 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
That's a very capable looking rig......Ben
thrashingcows (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 10:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear your on the mend. Your daughter will understand.

I agree still a bummer.
thrashingcows (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:18 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Bugger. We had a Keys (Bahia Honda) camping trip planned for my youngest's senior spring break and that got scratched due to the pandemic but we were able to make it happen last year. So hopefully youall can reschedule and still pull it off. Once they are in college you see them less and less...

Is the camper interior original? I know this is a truck forum but old campers are cool too.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about the benched vacation plans with the daughter.
Getting the truck and camper ready will help you out next time you and the daughter have some free time, as it will be that much closer to just hitting the road.

I did something similar this year with my daughter and the Carlisle car show. I pushed myself for weeks, getting the truck swap finished up and ready for the trip. Then late nights with Mopar friends and early mornings with loud big block cars and headers for 5 days at the show. When I got home I wasn't feeling too great.
You guessed it I got the Covid. So we have started calling Project Covid, the truck we built a lot of during the Covid shutdown, Project GET Covid.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Bugger. We had a Keys (Bahia Honda) camping trip planned for my youngest's senior spring break and that got scratched due to the pandemic but we were able to make it happen last year. So hopefully youall can reschedule and still pull it off. Once they are in college you see them less and less...

Is the camper interior original? I know this is a truck forum but old campers are cool too.
Yup interior is pretty much all original, some paint on the walls and a few updates and repairs but over all pretty much all original. I'm going to hit up a friend of mine who's been in the RV industry for close to 40 years and see if he can get me some warranty, or slightly damaged appliances to update the furnace, fridge, stove, hot water system etc.

Quick Reply: Crewcab update...