1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crewcab update...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, probably more leg room in Patches. Hopefully my wife will let me drive it from time to time. Yes yes, she already claimed possession of the crew. She said if i had the D350 for power and the D250 for daily driving she had to have the crew for daily driving. I can't say i blame her. Nothing nether than breaking your keck to see a slick truck plus a good looking woman hopping out of it
Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader93
Yeah, probably more leg room in Patches. Hopefully my wife will let me drive it from time to time. Yes yes, she already claimed possession of the crew. She said if i had the D350 for power and the D250 for daily driving she had to have the crew for daily driving. I can't say i blame her. Nothing nether than breaking your keck to see a slick truck plus a good looking woman hopping out of it
You got a good woman and a keeper there Vader! Wish I could convince mine to drive a 1st gen...crewcab or any other cummins powered truck.

Maybe if I build a cummins ramcharger with an automatic she might be more interested?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
You got a good woman and a keeper there Vader! Wish I could convince mine to drive a 1st gen...crewcab or any other cummins powered truck.

Maybe if I build a cummins ramcharger with an automatic she might be more interested?
My wife drives my RC with the 318.. I don't even get to drive it anymore. I Rushed home early to work on panel measurements and the RC was gone. She was off to get groceries and then said she wanted to show her friends.

We took a drive to Tim Hortons and I went inside to get my usual coffee, next thing I know she was in the drivers seat. Doesn't like the W250 but those RC are "Lady Friendly"
Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
my girl would never drive my truck but she loves riding in it. she asks to take it anywhere we go and always rides in the middle
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
my girl would never drive my truck but she loves riding in it. she asks to take it anywhere we go and always rides in the middle
oh to be young again
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Its great that you are driving your crewcab around but I cringe at the winter driving.
The chemicals they use to melt snow on the roads these days are unbelievably harsh.
Mag chloride and other chemicals mixed in with salt are great for stupid city folks in the winter who don't know how to drive in snow and don't have winter tires but terrible for vehicles.

My truck hasn't seen winter for many years now plus we try to keep our Acura out of the salt also.
My Mustang has never seen a snow flake since I bought it brand new in Vancouver in 1989.

Of course this means winter beaters which cause other issues like parking them!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
.... I cringe at the winter driving.
The chemicals they use to melt snow on the roads these days are unbelievably harsh.
Mag chloride and other chemicals mixed in with salt are great for stupid city folks in the winter who don't know how to drive in snow and don't have winter tires but terrible for vehicles.!
Agreed, but if you are aggressive regarding removing the salt, and other chemicals, then I think it can be managed.

I use my brick to plow, and I love it. it also means that I spend a lot of time using a mixture of salt dissolve from a light acid and car wash. Works great, and leaves the surfaces residue free. It's a PITA, but IMO, I can't see myself not enjoying the brick during the winter.
Attached Thumbnails Crewcab update...-0125161708b.jpg   Crewcab update...-0202161328b.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

also, some don't have the luxury of parking their daily driver for a few months a year.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:11 PM

It would be great to be able to park the crewcab for the winter months, but as T-man and Justin mentioned, for some of us it's not an option. Plus this is my daily driver....and I love the truck too much to jump into a crappy winter beater for several months.

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the truck. Which meant more time washing the underside, and all the nooks and crannies, then actually cleaning the top side of the truck. As mentioned...if your diligent about your cleaning, and your preventive maintenance body wise, things can be managed.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
It would be great to be able to park the crewcab for the winter months, but as T-man and Justin mentioned, for some of us it's not an option. Plus this is my daily driver....and I love the truck too much to jump into a crappy winter beater for several months.

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the truck. Which meant more time washing the underside, and all the nooks and crannies, then actually cleaning the top side of the truck. As mentioned...if your diligent about your cleaning, and your preventive maintenance body wise, things can be managed.
i didn't even know about that oil slick stuff that you northerners spray all over your trucks until Chip was down here with the flying pistachio. was looking under the hood and thought he had an oil leak as I ran my finger across the oil slick firewall. here i am scrubbing the old layers of various fluids/oil off the bottom of my truck and y'all are spraying it on!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
i didn't even know about that oil slick stuff that you northerners spray all over your trucks until Chip was down here with the flying pistachio. was looking under the hood and thought he had an oil leak as I ran my finger across the oil slick firewall. here i am scrubbing the old layers of various fluids/oil off the bottom of my truck and y'all are spraying it on!
...stop removing your rust proofing then...
Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Up here in NY most of our roads are red and covered in beet juice. The main highways are salted and still use calcium here.

Does anyone here use fluid film? I have my vehicles sprayed and I happen to look at the manual for my tub, it said don't use a pressure washer because it'll remove it. Do you leave it on, wonder if the salt gets by it?

I still pressure wash my vehicle. Every year I go and buy black paint, paint the under body and then FF.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I lived in Upstate NY for 30+ years, HATED the fact the that nice old cars sat for 6 months, and the new one I was paying for rotted away. You can slow the rust but NEVER stop it. I love being in the south now. I can drive whatever I want and not worry about the rust monster. It is amazing, bolts come loose from 40 year old vehicles and don't break or require the heat wrench.....life is easy!!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speaking of your contemplated dually crew cab. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put the dually front hubs of the 2 wheel drive on the 4x4 dana of the crew. This way one wouldn't have to search the globe for a 4x4 dually front axle.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
There is a kingpin D60 dually front axle on CL up near me (Harrisburg PA) for $500. I can't remember if it is from a Dodge or Chevy (Dodge I think). They come up now and again around here. Most people here don't seem too interested in dually stuff.

Quick Reply: Crewcab update...