1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crewcab update...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! I have a couple questions, though. For those who have done this already, how does putting the intercooler out front affect the A/C? Does it cool down as well? Also, is there any hope this setup would fit behind a pre-first gen grille (77-78 specifically)?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 69HemiGTX
Nice work! I have a couple questions, though. For those who have done this already, how does putting the intercooler out front affect the A/C? Does it cool down as well? Also, is there any hope this setup would fit behind a pre-first gen grille (77-78 specifically)?
You will loose some efficiency with the AC cooling, that's for sure. But up north I only use AC in my vehicle for a few weeks out of the year. I can live with the slight drop in cooling temps.

As for fitting behind a 77/78 grille.....I think I remember at least one truck here on the board who's done it. Guys have done bone stock 1st gen rad supports, with OEM IC behind those grilles. So I think it's definetly doable.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
You must have a very understanding wife! I was kicked out of my basement and since the small garage doesn't have heat I don't want to work on my truck in 10F weather. Looking really nice, the NP tranny is very similar to the getrag, do they run larger/thicker gears? What makes them superior?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bannerd
You must have a very understanding wife! I was kicked out of my basement and since the small garage doesn't have heat I don't want to work on my truck in 10F weather. Looking really nice, the NP tranny is very similar to the getrag, do they run larger/thicker gears? What makes them superior?
Is one better then the other....I don't know. With all the special parts required for the NV4500, and potential problems, I am wishing I had gone with a Getrag instead.

But from what I have read the NV4500 is the tranny guys want if they are pulling heavy, and hard. Supposedly the NV4500 can handle more power/torque then the Getrag.

With all the aftermarket support now for the Getrag, I don't think I would bother swapping to a NV4500 if I already had a Getrag.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:21 AM

The 5th Gear shift rail came in today...Once again a great piece from Quad4x4!! Got it, and the 5th gear all installed today.

Name:  PICT8902_zps419bd41a.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  69.5 KB

Then it was time to install the 5th gear nut. Here is the order of things that I installed.

Name:  PICT8901_zps130ee36b.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  59.7 KB

-New 5th Gear.
-Then split washer set-up to help hold 5th gear in place should nut back off.
-Concave washer
-New 5th gear nut with brass pins to torque down onto the treads to lock in place.
-Then the splined lock for the 5th gear nut.

With all of this I hope to never have any 5th gear issues...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM

So I go ahead and install everything. Here's how the split washer looks when installed.

Used red loc-tite on threads and nut to help hold things in place. I finish torquing everything down...which is a chore if your doing it by yourself on the shop floor, and have no way to secure the tranny....

Name:  PICT8905_zps3134a7dd.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  58.5 KB

I then realize I may have an issue with the split washer set-up. And the loc-tite had got into the area where the brass pins were to sit and was not allowing them to be torqued down properly. So out comes the heat, and I have to pull everything apart again. That red Loc-tite is some evil stuff!!

Finally got it all apart, and cleaned up. That too is a chore. Once clean I did a dry trial run....got everything the way I wanted it and pulled it apart again. This time I had a friend come and help with the nut torque down. A little better...but not much.

During the assembly this time I installed some small pieces of paper towel into the bore for the brass pins. So it would soak up the loc-tite. Then once the nut was torqued down I used my small picks to pull out the paper towel and install the brass crush pins...and torqued them down.

But before you do that you need to line up the nut with the splined nut lock. I had to play with it on the splines until I found a spot where it was just a hair out of alignment. Then I used the 5th gearnut tightening tool, and a rubber mallet, to beat the nut into alignment.

Now it's all done for good!!

Name:  PICT8908_zpsf53acc00.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  61.9 KB
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Then it was time to install the new 4wd tailhousing. I bought a new cast unit...since I couldn't find a new/used aluminum unit. I would recommend you scratch the inside of it if you end up buying one. I used a large screwdriver. I had a lot of small metal debris that was stuck in the paint. It would have eventually worked itself free and could have cause issues internally.

Once cleaned up I realized it did not come with any dowel pins. Good thing I still had the 2wd tailhousing. Few hits with hammer and punch had them out and ready to install in the 4wd housing.

Name:  PICT8910_zps555238c4.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  62.6 KB

It wash then time to install the top cover, and side PTO plates. Once the top was on I stalled the shifter and ran through the gears. Everything seems to shift fine.

All done.....Finally!!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Awesome !

What does that thing weigh ? Approximately ?

I've NEVER done any work as complicated as the internals of a transmission. You must have an intense mechanical background to take on that challenge.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Thrashing cows, it looks like you used red silicon to seal things? Might want to be careful with that. I found out with the red silicon it actually leaves things not correctly flush. I've never worked on a NV4000 series myself so maybe it's different. I did pull apart my getrag this year and I ended up using high tack on EVERYTHING. That back portion of the getrag is shimmed.. I made the mistake of using silicon and come to find out.. I was way off and suffered a oil leak. Also high tacked the nuts and bolts
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Awesome !

What does that thing weigh ? Approximately ?

I've NEVER done any work as complicated as the internals of a transmission. You must have an intense mechanical background to take on that challenge.
That thing has to weigh over 200lbs I'd bet. Not fun moving it around.

As for "intense Mechanical background"....nope I'm all self taught. And I should say that I learn lots from the people who have done these things before me....these forums are an unparalleled resource!! But I Never even took mechanical classes in school. I may be slow on the dis-assembly and reassembly...but I get it done.

Originally Posted by bannerd
Thrashing cows, it looks like you used red silicon to seal things? Might want to be careful with that. I found out with the red silicon it actually leaves things not correctly flush. I've never worked on a NV4000 series myself so maybe it's different. I did pull apart my getrag this year and I ended up using high tack on EVERYTHING. That back portion of the getrag is shimmed.. I made the mistake of using silicon and come to find out.. I was way off and suffered a oil leak. Also high tacked the nuts and bolts
The rebuild manual I got from Quad4x4 stated to use a 1/8" bead of silicone in those areas....They showed what I guess is black gasket maker type silicone....but I have always liked the orange High Temp RTV silicone.

But thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Just a note on the split washer set-up. When everything is installed and torqued down, the outer ring is just a little bit loose. You can spin it a little, but there is only a bit of interference.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Good project .....
There's a crewcab D250 dually just up the street here in Ladysmith.
Did you ever badge your truck 'FARGO' .... got a pic?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by peddlebike
Good project .....
There's a crewcab D250 dually just up the street here in Ladysmith.
Did you ever badge your truck 'FARGO' .... got a pic?
I did put the lettering on the grille...but will be going back to the "Dodge" lettered grille...and tailgate once it's back on the road.

Check out Gyman98's thread on his "Fargo" crewcab.....Sweet truck!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t288785.html
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Did you have to drill new holes for front shock brackets
Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you have to but what I did on mine is make a double set/up
Name:  2013-03-12_17-29-12_10_zpsd328c68a.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  44.3 KB

Quick Reply: Crewcab update...