1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crew Cab Build!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, now I'm mad. When I started mine, nobody was cumminifying old crews, now it seems like everyone is doing it. Keep it up. I've got this flame truck/orange crewcab guy pushing me to making mine a shortbed dually. Don't know yet.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies ya'll and for help Featherman.
So if the Windshield seal on the outside of the truck is needing replaced I guess it would be best to pull it all (the whole windshield) or can the outer seal be easily replaced?
Oh, a little off topic, but which would ya'll choose Getrag or A518?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
alwaysonDTR

Originally Posted by SkinnyBTN
So if the Windshield seal on the outside of the truck is needing replaced I guess it would be best to pull it all (the whole windshield) or can the outer seal be easily replaced?
i would go with the getrag
Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 AM

Why not go with an NV4500 or 47RH?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM

If funds allow when I get ready to throw the drive line back in I may look into it, but right now I have access to either or for free with the exception of having to purchase a T-case adapter for the A518. The getrag is complete w/ t-case. I figure down the road I can upgrade the drive line. Right now most of the $ is going into the resto portion of the build. Well, and big bumpers, tires, and rims of course!
What kind of MPG difference is there w/ 3.54's? Thanks again for the input!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
alwaysonDTR

If funds allow when I get ready to throw the drive line back in I may look into it, but right now I have access to either or for free with the exception of having to purchase a T-case adapter for the A518. The getrag is complete w/ t-case. I figure down the road I can upgrade the drive line. Right now most of the $ is going into the resto portion of the build. Well, and big bumpers, tires, and rims of course!
What kind of MPG difference is there w/ 3.54's? Thanks again for the input!
difference in mpgs vs. what?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Sorry bout the lack of info.
Average difference between running a getrag 5sp. manual or A518 auto. All other things being the same. Just some relative numbers. I realize there can be many variables at play.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
My vote is Getrag
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM

The windshield seal is all one piece with a separate rubber locking bead in the outside.

On the otherhand, if you are geting water inside, it is most likely cowel cracks or rusted cowel. I have owned seven of these cabs ranging from 1975 trough 1989 and my leaks have never been from the seal. Have someone puta garden hose to it while you are under the dash with a flashlight. You might be surprized.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 PM

i found a flake on the craigslist to help me swap windshields. after watching and helping him no big deal just go slow and have extra set of hands for us rookies. trooperthorn got those cracks all sealed up in that cab in your shop?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM

No the windshield is not leaking. I need to replace the outer seal/locking bead thing because it looks horrible. It looks like there was supposed to be a chrome strip in it at one time. Now it is just a flaking, miscolored, strip of ugliness that would ruin any truck . Thats why I was curious as to how easy just replacing the outer portion was. But the more I think about it I am just gonna pull it all the way out for a better paint job. And to simplify removing the dash. Thanks for the replies and info guys! Any tips on windshield removal greatly appreciated!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM

i had a wreck to pull the windshield out of so i cut the rubber after removing the lock bead. my good pickup had a cracked windshield so i removed the lock bead and got inside and used my foot to push it out . it broke because we didn't care. so with one good gasket and one good windshield we worked with soap and a plastic tool to work the glass in very very slow. patience is the key.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM

I'm looking online to find a replacement windshield seal and want to make sure I understand it properly. I need the "Replacement Front Windshield Weatherstrip", or the "Windshield Molding (Windshield Trim, Lockstrip, Chrome + W/Joint Clamp), and "Windshield Weatherstrip w/Strip Accepts Trim"
I hope this makes sense. I'm looking on PartsTrain.com and Autopartswarehouse.com Both have the same stuff. They just don't seem real clear on exactly what one needs. Could just be me though
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Sorry bout the lack of info.
Average difference between running a getrag 5sp. manual or A518 auto. All other things being the same. Just some relative numbers. I realize there can be many variables at play.
If it is a stock 518, than the Getrag will get better mileage. However if you get it built, and install a nice converter, I'm sure it would be close.

Depends on whether or not you like to shift. I do, so I would go with the 'Rag, (if the 518 is stock) but I would upgrade to an NV4500 when money permitted. Thats just me though.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by farmer0_1
trooperthorn got those cracks all sealed up in that cab in your shop?
Ha Ha, that there is funny.

I'm looking online to find a replacement windshield seal and want to make sure I understand it properly. I need the "Replacement Front Windshield Weatherstrip", or the "Windshield Molding (Windshield Trim, Lockstrip, Chrome + W/Joint Clamp), and "Windshield Weatherstrip w/Strip Accepts Trim"
I hope this makes sense. I'm looking on PartsTrain.com and Autopartswarehouse.com Both have the same stuff. They just don't seem real clear on exactly what one needs. Could just be me though
I looked at the parts on autopartswarehouse.com and head trouble telling as well. The one for sixteen something bucks sounds nice, but the one for eighty-four something sounds more like the right price. If you go to a truckers supply place you might be able to find the locking cord type thing in black rubber. It reminds me of the stuff they use to tie down tarps.

I hate the plasti-chrome plated rubber. It always seems to look like trash.

Quick Reply: Crew Cab Build!