1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cooling unit mounted under the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TIMMY22
I'm surprised no one has modified the A/C condenser to become a tranny cooler. The tranny cooler up front is really small. I'll bet the A/C unit is 4 times the size. Looks like you could make some brackets and double stack 2 A/C units in there. Cut the ends 3" from the bolt and gasket block and clamp the hoses to it.
The gasoline models had a 2 in one radiator. With ports for the tranny fluid in the bottom of the radiator.
I had done this but I used a condenser from a Daytona. I tapped pipe threads in the block and put in hose barbs and ran that as my only cooler for over 80k miles until I pulled out the 727 and put in the 618. I had installed it under the bed, I never did have a temp gauge back then and I did very little towing, maybe a car and trailer on rare occasion. The trans still worked good and didn't slip when I pulled it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Firstgenfanatic
Wow!!!! really? If so, that would explain alot. Can anyone else vouch for having one of these thermostatic bypass valves? Where are they located specifically? I will crawl under my truck soon and check........what does this critter look like? You have me wondering now............
It's a "H" shaped thing close to the SuperDuty cooler. Both the supply and return lines to/from the cooler run thru the legs of the H; the middle of the H is the bypass.

DBF
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My 91 D350 has this cooler under the cab ,no lines fromthe radi. thanks for the info. mine stk. with 167k .
thanks to DBF
from whosdunit.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of underbed cooler discussion in here.

I have someone local that has a 92 Dually W350 with the underbed cooler, he tows. It has a BD torque converter and thats it, upgraded years ago. Says he likes it.

He has an autometer gauge in the pan and says he's seen 200* and the fan didn't kick on under the bed, and he feels like the fluid temp. wouldnt be 200* if the cooler was being used

what temp. does the fan kick on/valve open ??? does this frame mounted valve kick on before the fan or both at the same time?

I think he's just gonna figure a way to wire the valve and the fan to a toggle switch rather than having all the automatic temperature stuff.

But is there a way to replace a temperature switch with a lower temperature switch? Like lets say a 200* switch or something.

thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBF
It's a "H" shaped thing close to the SuperDuty cooler. Both the supply and return lines to/from the cooler run thru the legs of the H; the middle of the H is the bypass.

DBF
So does this "H" shaped fitting sieze up or have issues with 1st gen owners? What if I pull it out and install an open "H" fitting? I haven't tested it yet, but it sounds like a likely part that is causing me heat issues.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 PM

So does this "H" shaped fitting sieze up or have issues with 1st gen owners? What if I pull it out and install an open "H" fitting? I haven't tested it yet, but it sounds like a likely part that is causing me heat issues.
Mine works as it's supposed to fan comes on with heavy towing wideopen up a steep hill low gear at about 230 degrees and I know for sure it goes through the cooler as cooler gets hot and I broke a hose once right at the cooler and left alot of fluid on the road.(I believe about 5-6 gal, I first went to a part store and was told not over 3 gal in my system went back with 3 and went back a second time for 3 more)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
DBF

The fitting has no moving parts. It works on viscosity of the fluid. When the fluid in the cooler is thick (cold), it's easier for the fluid to enter one leg of the "H", cross over to the other side, and return out the other side of the "H" to the engine and heat exchanger for more warming. When warmed up, the "H"'s crossover (quite small) is more restrictive than the cooler, so fluid goes through the cooler.

I'd like to remind people that the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the block works two ways. If the trans fluid is hotter than the engine coolant, heat is passed to the coolant to be returned to the air by the radiator. If the engine coolant is hotter than the trans fluid, it passes heat to the trans fluid - mostly needed in cold climates to get the trans up to the temperature it likes.

So, if you're towing uphill and engine temperature rises (say, due to a partly-plugged radiator), the excess temps will heat up the trans fluid. So you have to make sure the radiator fan is pulling air as well as the cooler fan and that the radiator is efficient.

The gage in the pan is a good start, but not enough IMHO. The fluid in the pan is going to be sucked into the transmission. If it's hot, it will only get hotter as it does its work inside the trans. I have another gage on the output of the transmission and watch that gage closely to see if I want to slow down or manually switch on the cooler, or both. I try to keep the outlet temp at or below 200* - if it goes higher for a long period, I make sure to change out the fluid earlier than normal (or very soon). I watch the pan gage as well to see what it's doing.

Regards, DBF
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I also have this Super Duty Transmission Oil Cooler on my truck and I do not have this bypass anywhere in the circuit.

I remember at one time reading a Service Bulletin on how to install this bypass into the lines because of problems of cold weather drivability, simply the thicker fluid will bypass the fluid resistance created by the passes through the chilled fin and plates of the cooler.

Name:  SuperDutyTransmissionOilCooler12.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  67.4 KB

This is also another version of bypass that was installed on later years.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1995/21-03-95.htm

I have a full description of the Super Duty Transmission Oil Cooler here.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-t264993.html

Jim