1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

"Conventional Diesel Oils" Which one do you Prefer? (A bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Conventional Diesel Oils" Which one do you Prefer? (A bit long)

I was bored at work and decided to start comparing labels on conventional oils. Out of these oils pictured here which one do you use or which do you prefer if you had to choose a conventional oil? The only oil I found that listed its ingredients on the bottle was "Castrol Techion Extra" It still has Zinc in it which was the whole reason so many folks loved it for years, especially popular with the hot rod and racer crowd. The Castrol is made by BP british petroleum. I have never really heard any thing bad about Mobil Delvac however which would be understandable, Mobil does produce one of the most respected Synthetics in the business "Mobil 1". Shell Rotella however has changed there formula to this new and supposedly better Rotella T Triple protection and from many sources in the driving industry seems to burnoff a lot quicker than traditional Shell Rotella w/ zinc. Chevron Delo 400 scores very low on many film strength tests I have come across. However Chevron w/ Techron is supposed to be some of the best gasoline you can buy, so I ask why they would comprimise on thier flagship conventional Diesel oil? Especially knowing without trucking america !!!STOPS!!!

(Just ignore the bottle of royal purple)

** One quick note about Royal Purples products. Their oils contain Moly which for years was known to steer customers away from the product that contained it. It was and is an excellent Idea. Moly gets into the pours of the alloys and basically creates a friction barrier where Moly particles meet not engine parts. GREATLY reducing friction. However the early oils containing moly couldnt design a formula where the particles would bond themselves to the pours they would get in there and come right back out actually causing more bad than good. By now they have perfected these formulas. I attempted to contact RYP to inquire if they've achieved this success with their product line but haven't received a reply yet. I did some research at
www.bobistheoilguy.com awesom site guys.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Oh goodie; another oil thread (argument).

I first look for CI-4 rating, then read the rest of the jug; if I don't see CI-4, I set the jug down and don't read the rest, especially if it says CJ-4.

Currently, I am using John Deere 15W-40 CI-4 :

http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/par...s50_15w40.html

I recently had a sales rep stop by that delivers good old timey Kendall 15W-40 CI-4, straight to my door, for about $15 less on five-gallons than the John Deere; I may start going that route, as Kendall/Conoco-Phillips has a pretty good reputation.

http://www.kendallmotoroil.com/premiumoil.htm

The Super D-3 is the good one.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If im not mistaken Sunoco/Conoco is american oil too. Thats Awesome to hear in a world driven to fossil fuel dependancies in Muslimville and a world gone to china