1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

compressor upgrade kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compressor upgrade kits

Whats the difference between the gillette 60mm and the HTT 60mm besides price?
Im looking to get 2... But they're for my car
Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
alwaysonDTR

same thing, they are $205 from gds
Old 04-19-2008, 05:25 PM

actually there is a diference, the gds has an 8 fin wheel and doesn't need a new backplate and the htt is a 6 fin wheel, htt is suppose to be a little better but performance is almost identical between them so if I were you I'd save the money.

gary
Old 04-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by wollfgang
actually there is a diference, the gds has an 8 fin wheel and doesn't need a new backplate and the htt is a 6 fin wheel, htt is suppose to be a little better but performance is almost identical between them so if I were you I'd save the money.

gary
Not for the HX35. You can get the 8 blade and also the 6 blade and you use the factory backing plate (which requires machine work). They were both the same price. I just put the 6 blade 60mm wheel in mine. I believe that it was the stage 3.5 or something along those lines.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 AM

"rich" at gds just quoted me "THE CH-05 ARE 197.44 EACH PLUS FREIGHT."

This is for an h1c btw. Whats the difference between a 6 and 8 fin wheel? What would make either better than the other?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 AM
alwaysonDTR

did they say if they were in stock?
i have the 60mm CH-05 put it on today, didn'y here any surge or bark,but i never had it bark before, the sound is nice.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:30 AM

Nothing about stock, that was the whole body of the message... You better not buy em all cause i need some too!!
Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 AM
alwaysonDTR

i just got one more from my previous order that hasn't come in yet, they did tell me when i bought the two the the price went up to $205 but $197 sounds better,
the 60mm should be good with that 12cm housing if you port/drill it out
Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 AM

I havent decided what exaust housings im using cause its gonna be a twin turbo 383 chevy fuel injected gasser... Shooting for 800 rwhp. Im just asking here cause you folks are the only ones that seem to know anything about the holset compressors. Everybody else thinks there garbage and they are useless. I, on the other hand have faith
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 AM
alwaysonDTR

you'll probally have to go bigger housings because of the rpm you can run on the gasser, what kind of boost can the engine take? or is that one of those will find out type things?
nice thing about holsets is there are parts available and they don't cost as much as garrett's do, plus there are a lot of used one out there. also if you have a cummins holset dealer nere you they are sapposed to beable to get the upgrade parts too. i tried to find some this way thru e-mail but holeset.com never e-mailed me back where the nearest dealer was.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by big stinky
I havent decided what exaust housings im using cause its gonna be a twin turbo 383 chevy fuel injected gasser... Shooting for 800 rwhp. Im just asking here cause you folks are the only ones that seem to know anything about the holset compressors. Everybody else thinks there garbage and they are useless. I, on the other hand have faith
I'd suggest 12 cm wastegated housings, the 4 cylinder gasser turbo boys use stock HX-35's all the time with good results and you are running a pair of fours there. Yours are a little bigger, but I doubt you will wind it up as tight as a lil' Mitsubishi so it should all work out pretty well in the end.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
you'll probally have to go bigger housings because of the rpm you can run on the gasser, what kind of boost can the engine take?
I havent decided yet. Im just getting all the parts together, then ill decide on an engine combo. I do know it will be a 383 with fuel injection, roller cam and good flowing heads. Theres a couple different ways of thinking as far as boost goes (med compression, med boost and low compression, high boost)

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I'd suggest 12 cm wastegated housings, the 4 cylinder gasser turbo boys use stock HX-35's all the time with good results and you are running a pair of fours there. Yours are a little bigger, but I doubt you will wind it up as tight as a lil' Mitsubishi so it should all work out pretty well in the end.
I was thinking sort of on those lines, but non wastegated because im gonna buy some external wastegates because ~25 psi wont work on a pump gas street motor... But im concerned with them not flowing enough air. Im looking at probably 6500-6900 rpm which wants about 800 cfm naturally aspirated.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
alwaysonDTR

you do need to consider the trans too, if manual the smaller might be better, or auto bigger housing because once it lites, it's lit
Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by big stinky
I was thinking sort of on those lines, but non wastegated because im gonna buy some external wastegates because ~25 psi wont work on a pump gas street motor... But im concerned with them not flowing enough air. Im looking at probably 6500-6900 rpm which wants about 800 cfm naturally aspirated.
You are gonna turn it pretty tight! I was figuring you were only going to run it up to 5500 or so. I think the 12 cm's will be too small, go for 16's, they are cheap and easily available.

Make sure your cam vendor knows exactly what you have planned.

If you want it to last, run about 7.5:1 compression and make sure to use a unit like the MSD BTM controller to pull the spark back under boost. If it gets into detonation, it's gonna die a fast and ugly death. Water/meth is your friend on turboed gassers, too.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
If you want it to last, run about 7.5:1 compression and make sure to use a unit like the MSD BTM controller to pull the spark back under boost. If it gets into detonation, it's gonna die a fast and ugly death. Water/meth is your friend on turboed gassers, too.
I heart detonation...

Ive got lots of good stuff to throw at it. Im already using a msd e-curve and mallory digital box with map retard(that I dont use), step switches and all that junk . Alls I have to buy is a nice fuel injection setup, some large chamber heads, dished pistons and a cam. The block should be good to 6-700 horse without too many problems. Im gonna push it till it breaks. Lots of people have done worse to weaker block.
I thought about the water meth too. A buddy is running a 142 355 and is gonna throw some water/meth at it so he can bump the timing and add some boost. Hes already got 475 at the wheels. Mines N/A right now and I think im pushin about that horsepower, but hes got the torque i dont have... And when he gets it tuned better...
Im jealous, so im twinin the beast. Probably gonna run a th-400 with gear vendors 3000-3500 stall and 3:42 gears.

Guess im gonna place my order with Gillette in a couple days

Quick Reply: compressor upgrade kits