1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Command start with manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Command start with manual?

Anyone run a command start with a manual on these old girls?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remote start correct?

I don't see why it couldn't be done but leaving it in neutral is going to be a key factor. god for bid you leave it gear that one time It'll crank over and start and possibly drive away.

I went up over a curb one time with just the power of the starter and in 1st gear
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty sketchy. Of course, I don't even have a neutral safety switch on my truck anymore.

I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't think manuals have a neutral safety switch, only a clutch switch.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 AM

That's what I meant, Mr. Smarty Pants.

My truck will start in gear with the clutch out. Scary thought. I just had driveline work done on my truck and I taped a huge sign to the steering wheel letting them know that not only would it start in gear, but it'd pretty much take off immediately upon turning the key.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT
I don't think manuals have a neutral safety switch, only a clutch switch.
They're pretty much considered the same thing but the clutch pedal has a microswitch of some sort and obviously the clutch must be disengaged in order to start the motor.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
9MM
Banned

Mine was MIA when I got the truck I learned the hard way one day my grandfather n I where trying to diagnose a problem he goes to my truck reaches in n hits the starter with it in gear. First of all how stupid is it for someone to do that? second he's a licensed heavy duty mechanic and mercedes mechanic lol.

Anyway sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by Subliminal
That's what I meant, Mr. Smarty Pants.

My truck will start in gear with the clutch out. Scary thought. I just had driveline work done on my truck and I taped a huge sign to the steering wheel letting them know that not only would it start in gear, but it'd pretty much take off immediately upon turning the key.
Scary thought eh?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old first gen had one in it with a five speed when I bought it, some sort of sketchy looking box with a cable to the shifter to make sure it was in neutral, the remote start never worked when I got it and never tried to make it work, as a mechanic who installed remote starters I refuse to put one in any vehicle with a standard, too much that could go wrong, I'm not comfortable doing it!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM

My truck did not have one on it when I got it either. I park inside our warehouse at work and almost put my truck through a wall when I went to start it after a 16 hour day. Something I did not even think to check, could have mad a long day even worse.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM

hey-Hey!!!,
I have a manual with a defeated clutch switch. I made a habit of wiggling the shifter back and forth between the gates( left-right, across neutral ) every time before I stick in the key. Key not in before I've made sure it is out of gear. Makes a double take when I get in to drive an automatic ov course, but that I can live with( and it doesn't happen so often anyway ).
cheers,
Douglas
Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son

I don't see why it couldn't be done but leaving it in neutral is going to be a key factor. god for bid you leave it gear that one time It'll crank over and start and possibly drive away.

I went up over a curb one time with just the power of the starter and in 1st gear
I had one in mine for a while. But it got to the point that I wouldn't use it for fear that I might have left it in gear.... I found that I was always going out to check that I had left out of gear before I would hit the button so I just went back to the manual starting and removed the box all together.

BTW I tested the system and found that even in 3rd gear with the park break set, the starter could overcome it all and the truck could drive away on its own. I did this in a safe area while I was behind the wheel......

Now days you can have them installed with a couple of micro switches on the shift lever and a special arming sequence pretty reliably but it never seemed worth the hassle to me. Besides, If it's cold enough for me to start the truck to warm it up before driving away, I like to set the hand throttle to give it a few more RPMs.....
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 PM

hey-Hey!!!,
IMO, unless you've got the resources to create a neutral safety arrangement, a remote start with a manual is a *BAD* idea. I'll add *RELIABLE* neutral safety arrangement. The auto companies have not taken this lightly, and IMO it is a bit beyond most ov us.
cheers,
Douglas