1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

comfortable Cruising speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comfortable Cruising speed?

the truck is very comfortable at 65 and from thier is starts to feal doggy,rattle and shake.truck gets up to 75 ok but after that it has a hard time going any faster. I got it up to 80 but it just felt weird. I dont even know how to explain it but I dident like being up thier.

I dont have a tach, what rpm shold I be pulling at 75 MPH in 5th with the stockish 235/85/r16 tires?

I hear of guys on hear blasting thier truck up to 100 or so. is that normal? is thier somthing wrong? I dont think it has to do with power. the power is thier I just let off becuse it feals Dangerous. I have to go 75 mph just to keep up with the slow lane traffic. fast lane is 80+ most of the time. I was planing on DD this truck 100 miles aday. but it aint gona cut it at 70 mph.

I gess this is kinda of a pointless post since I cant tell you exactly whats wrong.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM

what rear gear do u have?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 AM

With 3.55 gears mine runs around 2200 at 75 IIRC.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:02 AM

thier 3.55

I also have a 366 spring in the pump soposably. but I dont have a tach so im not shure. it shure seems like it revs to the sky in the other gears.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:22 AM

It seems with a 5 speed you should be able to go that fast without any problem. Maybe you just need to get used to the big truck If you've got the power but you don't feel comfortable with it . . . I'm not sure what to tell you other than its probably the wrong truck for a DD anyway. Get a little honda for $500. Thats what I commute in.

I can go 100 pretty easy with my automatic (takes a minute to get there) but I don't cruise above 75, its out of its efficiency range IMO. Plus, we get tickets here in Oregon for faster than that .

Chass
ct
Old 08-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by keller
the truck is very comfortable at 65 and from thier is starts to feal doggy,rattle and shake.truck gets up to 75 ok but after that it has a hard time going any faster. I got it up to 80 but it just felt weird. I dont even know how to explain it but I dident like being up thier.

I dont have a tach, what rpm shold I be pulling at 75 MPH in 5th with the stockish 235/85/r16 tires?

I hear of guys on hear blasting thier truck up to 100 or so. is that normal? is thier somthing wrong? I dont think it has to do with power. the power is thier I just let off becuse it feals Dangerous. I have to go 75 mph just to keep up with the slow lane traffic. fast lane is 80+ most of the time. I was planing on DD this truck 100 miles aday. but it aint gona cut it at 70 mph.

I gess this is kinda of a pointless post since I cant tell you exactly whats wrong.

I have 4:10 in mine and that exactly how i felt with mine! fig that these big old truck just couldn't cut the air at that speed!

then i put my GV overdrive and the moter slowed down and it got Quighter and smother at 80 it did before at 65!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chass
It seems with a 5 speed you should be able to go that fast without any problem. Maybe you just need to get used to the big truck If you've got the power but you don't feel comfortable with it . . . I'm not sure what to tell you other than its probably the wrong truck for a DD anyway. Get a little honda for $500. Thats what I commute in.

I can go 100 pretty easy with my automatic (takes a minute to get there) but I don't cruise about 75, its out of its efficiency range IMO. Plus, we get tickets here in Oregon for faster than that .

Chass
ct

yea I have a neon I have been DD for 3 years. and im tired of it.

mabby I am just to used to it. it dosent get scarry till about 130 mph

this is not the first fullsize truck I have owned. I have had 85 3/4 ton chevy quite comfortable at 80 a 80s ford did just fine on the hyw.I drive my GP 93 ford 3/4 ton to the city all the time,I have drivin manny difrent trucks over the years. never did one feal this weird.

im gona have my brother in law drive it tonight and see what he thinks of it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 AM

O yea other than getting up to speed on the way to work. I have to beable to keep up with the pack onthe way to the sand dunes.

they all go about 85 towing trailors. and I hate to get left behind.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Ya, Mine is much smoother towing a trailer than it is empty. Remember you bought a brick with wheels thats powered by a Cummins!

Chass
ct
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
At 75 MPH you will run around 2300 RPM. The engine does sound like it's working pretty hard up there, but it's nothing to worry about. They can run all day at 3,000 RPM no problem. You should have plenty of pedal left at that speed if you really have a 3200 RPM spring in the pump.

If the truck felt shaky, that's a tire or suspension issue.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Chapter President

I run mine as a daily driver, into the city no less! Works great until i hit the city roads, then I have to slow down. She accelerates fine past 65, but I don't think she has much business over 85 IMHO. Plus, cruising between 65-70 is getting me around 23-24mpg unloaded. I'll take a little less speed for a few more miles
Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM

I use mine as a daily driver, no point in having it otherwise, anyone who doesnt may as well get rid of it in my openion. Drive what your proud of, and you will be happy. My truck will do about 90 mph and is still true to the road.

wayne
Old 08-18-2006, 09:59 AM

yea I gess im gona have to put up with it till I get the tires rebalanced and rotated.

its got plenty of pedal left thats for shure. we ran it up to 85 last night. I dident like it but I got up thier.sounded like it could go some more.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Had mine up to 93 one time, all she had.

I don't like going faster than 65 to much with a trailer. Blow a tire or something and things go wrong pretty quicklyl.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Start at the basics. What tire pressure are you running? Jack and support the front end off the ground and take a good look at the suspension and steering componets. Pay particular attention to the shackle bolts and the tie rods and ball joints. Try to rock your tires back and forth top to bottom to see if there is any bearing play. Another area is the steering gear box. It has an adjustment to remove the end play from the output shaft. Then check the rag joint on the steering column shaft. All these parts and more can give you a loose feeling at speed. If you don,t feel comfortable doing this yourself, take it to an alignment shop with a good reputation for straight axle trucks.
I am comfortable in my truck on the interstate at 85mph + when it is not loaded. You should be as well.

Quick Reply: comfortable Cruising speed?