1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

cleaning glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
There are FOUR separate necessities that have long been my secret to pristine, streak-free, film-free, perfectly spotless auto-glasses.

No single item on my list will work nearly so well as using all four of them.

1. TEXTURED BLUE PAPER SHOP-TOWELS

2. "AS SEEN ON TV" GLASS WIZARD with MICRO-FIBRE BONNET

3. STONER INVISIBLE GLASS --- non-aerosol --- pump-spray bottle

4. GENUINE RAIN-X

Item 2 is a triangle-shaped cleaning pad on a pivoting swiveling stick that will allow one to sit in the seat and easily reach and clean the entire inside of the windshield, every nook and cranny.

I spray Item 3 on the micro-fibre bonnet and scrub the inside surface until perfectly clean.

I tear off two sheets of Item 1; one sheet for cleaning and the other for dry-wiping the OUTSIDE of the windshield and every other glass surface EXCEPT the inside of the wind-shield.

For a particularly nasty or bug-spattered wind-shield, I will get the worst of the crud cleaned away with whatever cheaper glass-cleaner is at hand, be it Windex, Prestone Bug-Wash, or what-have-you, prior to using the more expensive Invisible Glass.

Once the windows and mirrors are clean, I apply Item 4 to everything EXCEPT the inside of the windshield.

The more often one applies Rain-X, the better it gets.

I wax it on with a CLEAN wash-cloth and buff it off with a CLEAN bath towel.

Spending many a long foggy night straining to see through a streaky smeared wind-shield all through the night, and having tried every last one of the old-wive's-remedies, the procedure I just described with the exact products I just listed is the only way I have found that works to my satisfaction.
x 10 on the rain X this is a great product, I don't think I have used my wipers in a rain storm in year. Yes it is that good
Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Rain-X is great for our windshields since the wipers are so weak
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

Oh yeah; I will also add that newspaper that has been printed will leave an inky residue that will soon fill the microscopic pores of glass and lead to the exact problem that you guys are having.

BRAND-NEW, NEVER-PRINTED, news-paper that ain't ever had any news on it is a different story.
I think that must be where that old saying came from, "No news is good news."