1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

cleaning glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
cleaning glass

Here's an odd question....

How do you guys clean your glass in your trucks ?

My new 92's glass has some kind of oil or silicone on the interior side, and the exterior side has a hard film on it.

Can't tell you anything other than that windex or regular glass cleaner doesn't do very much other than create more streaks.

The interior side was so bad, I could barely see out of it at night, with all of that oily residue on it. Now it's a little better, but I'm looking for some other chemical that safe to use on glass to remove this film. After a 1/2 roll of paper towels, it's bearable, but still not great to look through at night, especially in the rain.

On the outside, is there a way to polish the glass ? The film that's on the outside has more of a grit texture to it, and I was looking for something I could buff it out with..

TIA.

T.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newspaper and brakekleen.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I think that eastwood makes a glass polishing kit.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend but this stuff works really well. Need to use microfiber cloth to clean windshield.

http://www.autogeek.net/stoninglas.html
Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you find a solution, please let me know! My van's windshield has the same crud on it, inside and out just like yours. And like Mike Allred said, I tried brake clean, acetone and even MEK when glass cleaner didn't work. And I have always used newspaper to wipe the glass, (it DOES work better than paper towels). Nothing has taken off whatever is on there.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM

A buffer works great slow and light pressure or elbow grease (in other words by hand) if you have the time, I used Meguiars Mirror Glaze #4 heavy cut cleaner worked great, Also 3M rubbing compound works just fine, or go to a detail or body shop and see what they have.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Try using the detailing clay and a soapy water solution. detailing clay works great for removing pollution, overspray etc.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vineger work's great also
Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
There are FOUR separate necessities that have long been my secret to pristine, streak-free, film-free, perfectly spotless auto-glasses.

No single item on my list will work nearly so well as using all four of them.

1. TEXTURED BLUE PAPER SHOP-TOWELS

2. "AS SEEN ON TV" GLASS WIZARD with MICRO-FIBRE BONNET

3. STONER INVISIBLE GLASS --- non-aerosol --- pump-spray bottle

4. GENUINE RAIN-X

Item 2 is a triangle-shaped cleaning pad on a pivoting swiveling stick that will allow one to sit in the seat and easily reach and clean the entire inside of the windshield, every nook and cranny.

I spray Item 3 on the micro-fibre bonnet and scrub the inside surface until perfectly clean.

I tear off two sheets of Item 1; one sheet for cleaning and the other for dry-wiping the OUTSIDE of the windshield and every other glass surface EXCEPT the inside of the wind-shield.

For a particularly nasty or bug-spattered wind-shield, I will get the worst of the crud cleaned away with whatever cheaper glass-cleaner is at hand, be it Windex, Prestone Bug-Wash, or what-have-you, prior to using the more expensive Invisible Glass.

Once the windows and mirrors are clean, I apply Item 4 to everything EXCEPT the inside of the windshield.

The more often one applies Rain-X, the better it gets.

I wax it on with a CLEAN wash-cloth and buff it off with a CLEAN bath towel.

Spending many a long foggy night straining to see through a streaky smeared wind-shield all through the night, and having tried every last one of the old-wive's-remedies, the procedure I just described with the exact products I just listed is the only way I have found that works to my satisfaction.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh yeah; I will also add that newspaper that has been printed will leave an inky residue that will soon fill the microscopic pores of glass and lead to the exact problem that you guys are having.

BRAND-NEW, NEVER-PRINTED, news-paper that ain't ever had any news on it is a different story.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 AM

Number "0000" steel wool works great to polish glass. At first you can feel it dragging on the glass but after a little elbow grease it feels as if you have just waxed it.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 AM
KRB

Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

BRAND-NEW, NEVER-PRINTED, news-paper that ain't ever had any news on it is a different story.
Now thats funny, even if it wasn't an intentional pun
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I cleaned my glass the other day with turtle wax glass cleaner. The paper towels were black when I was done. Still didn't work.. I could barely see this morning coming into work.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicotine is really bad about leaving a film on the inside of windows.

I got a truck one time that was so nasty, on the back window we had to scrape the nicotine off with a blade
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Nicotine is really bad about leaving a film on the inside of windows.

I got a truck one time that was so nasty, on the back window we had to scrape the nicotine off with a blade
Yeah.. smoke is bad. I think in my case there was a overspray in dash protectant.

Quick Reply: cleaning glass