1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cleaned out the HVAC today...think I found my problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
For about fifty-cents/truck, Chrysler could have mounted a neat little clean-out door on these air-boxes.

Due to them opting to keep that fifty-cents to themselves, we get to saw our own hole and make our own cover.

Neat, huh ??
An old friend of mine and I were talking about the logistics of something like this.
Say it takes Chrysler 50 cents to make a door and accompanying fasteners to do it.
Now multiply that by 300,000 units per year.
That's a $150,000 savings over 1 year.
The run of DIESEL 1st gens was 5 years.
They saved 3/4 of a million dollars on ONE cost cutting measure and we know of MULTIPLE other items that they scrimped on.

Now, look at it further from their perspective:

Q: What's the chances not having a cleanout panel for the heater box is going to affect the customer within the warranty period?
A: Almost none.

Q: Will having the door make servicing the components within any easier for our techs?
A: No.

Q: What is the amount of savings for not doing this over the foreseen run of this particular model.
A: Around $XXX,XXX per year.

CHRYSLER: Fine, the customer does not need a "cleanout access" for the heater box, furthermore, Mr. X gets a $50,000 bonus for finding this cost-cutting measure.
Meeting Adjourned!

BTW, I can see this being the case when Chrysler was planning the new body change in 1981, because the pre-'81 Non-A/C trucks ALL had a manual sliding vent door that did allow for some semblance of air box cleaning.
The A/C trucks had a removable vent, IIRC.

It's ALL about cutting costs over a long-term.
If they can cut 10 cents out of something over 100,000 units and it doesn't affect the warranty, or it can still be serviced, they'll make it harder in the long term, because after the warranty expires, it no longer concerns them.
Sometimes even before that, if they think they can get away with it.

Mark.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Again well said Mark...I too understand the mentality of a corporation...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
I used a 2 5/8" hole saw and then plugged it with a fire wall grommet off a 2nd gen......

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=CLEAN

You can see the grommet in the pic below...

Took me a whole 10 minutes to do it. I pull the plug once a year and clean out anything that might find it's way in there.

This looks to be the cleanest most elegant solution I've seen yet. Wish I'd gone this route actually. Very nice.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
vin, that's a cool idea,,,, looks like your hands are a lot smaller than these clubs of mine ,LOL-LOL-.(wonder what that idea would have chrysler???)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Vin what is the gauge, or tach., mtd., to the right in your pic. How about a pic stright on it 's got my intrest.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Every Dodge truck I've ever owned has gotten a big square hole cut in the heater box and then had an aluminum plate screwed over it. Then I could clean them out yearly.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM
9MM
Banned

Think it's time for my truck now I banged on the panel and I could hear leafs moving in there.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by whosdunit
Vin what is the gauge, or tach., mtd., to the right in your pic. How about a pic stright on it 's got my intrest.
As much as I'd like to claim credit, that was me quoting a post from page two of this thread. That is member OFCmarc from page two of the thread that posted the pic of his truck and his solution.

I was impressed and quoted it on page three wishing I'd done what he did. I have the classic big square hole with metal plate screwed over it.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
An old friend of mine and I were talking about the logistics of something like this.
Say it takes Chrysler 50 cents to make a door and accompanying fasteners to do it.
Now multiply that by 300,000 units per year.
That's a $150,000 savings over 1 year.
The run of DIESEL 1st gens was 5 years.
They saved 3/4 of a million dollars on ONE cost cutting measure and we know of MULTIPLE other items that they scrimped on.

Now, look at it further from their perspective:

Q: What's the chances not having a cleanout panel for the heater box is going to affect the customer within the warranty period?
A: Almost none.

Q: Will having the door make servicing the components within any easier for our techs?
A: No.

Q: What is the amount of savings for not doing this over the foreseen run of this particular model.
A: Around $XXX,XXX per year.

CHRYSLER: Fine, the customer does not need a "cleanout access" for the heater box, furthermore, Mr. X gets a $50,000 bonus for finding this cost-cutting measure.
Meeting Adjourned!

BTW, I can see this being the case when Chrysler was planning the new body change in 1981, because the pre-'81 Non-A/C trucks ALL had a manual sliding vent door that did allow for some semblance of air box cleaning.
The A/C trucks had a removable vent, IIRC.

It's ALL about cutting costs over a long-term.
If they can cut 10 cents out of something over 100,000 units and it doesn't affect the warranty, or it can still be serviced, they'll make it harder in the long term, because after the warranty expires, it no longer concerns them.
Sometimes even before that, if they think they can get away with it.

Mark.
The problem with this thinking is the fact that it most likely never occured to them that it needed it.
A different scenario: Hey, we could add this at a cost to us of 50 cents, add 1 dollar to the price of the truck (nobody will care about a dollar in the final cost) and end up with a better overall product, a happier customer, and end up making 3/4 of a million in the process!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by whosdunit

Originally Posted by VIN#Diesel
As much as I'd like to claim credit, that was me quoting a post from page two of this thread. That is member OFCmarc from page two of the thread that posted the pic of his truck and his solution.

I was impressed and quoted it on page three wishing I'd done what he did. I have the classic big square hole with metal plate screwed over it.
Yep. That's my rig there. The gauge pictured there is an Oil Pressure gauge. The factory sender has gone south on me several times so an aftermarket one was in order.....

Here's a frontal shot of the whole setup....
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Ofcmarc, those are clean & neat ,,good looking set-up, thanks for the pict's.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 AM

How are yall measuring how far and where to cut?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
9MM
Banned

I cut a small hole in mine then made it bigger in whichever direction needed.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has a couple holes in it. And some cracks. Might need to change it someday. Can a sliding vent door like the older trucks have be fitted onto the passenger side?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can cut along the right edge about 1 1/2" deep, but it gets shallow on the left side and an errant blade could damage the heat exchanger underneath. Crossy mentioned using a Dremel cutter which is the safest method. I cut a series of 1/8" holes top and bottom and used a knife to join the holes, then pried the flap out from the right. It broke fairly easily but that was OK cuz I just taped it back on after.