1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

chevy leaf swap finished!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been considering the shackle flip myself. My concern is, how will that design hold up to heavy loads. Anyone run the flip and have any problems with wieght?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Couple of thoughts concerning the swap...
It has been about a year is since I did the conversion. Because of budget reasons I went with used leaf springs and because of that it sags a little on oneside.. I also was so concerned about improving my ride quality I went with 1/2 ton springs.. Which I regret. The flip shackle setup, in my opinion is more articulation/ride quality not load carrying.. I went and got a bed load of compost for the garden and I thought the leafs where going to snap in half! The guy just looked at me like " I thought you had a real truck?". I also used a 6" rear shackle which is to long if you plan on using your truck for anything more then a daily driver.
But, the ride quality of my truck is night and day difference!! It rides real nice. If I would do it again I would use a shorter shackle and 3/4ton maybe 1ton springs..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CE_TX
Pics of my swap. I used "Jungle's" hangers off of RCC. and the springs are from a 1 ton GM truck.

Pic of how it sat when back on all fours.

Mine was not built for flex, but rather a better ride and to get away from using the tall factory block.
Where the springs stock 1ton springs or lift springs?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can that be done but keep the stock height & lose the dodge blocks?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobva
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can that be done but keep the stock height & lose the dodge blocks?
With 6"- shackle and 1/2 ton springs I'm about stock height
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradshaw106
Where the springs stock 1ton springs or lift springs?

Stock 1 tons springs from a 98 Chevy 1 ton dually. I plan on using these on another project I have and ordering brand new ones from my local Chevy dealer that have the helper springs installed.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigblue70
Been considering the shackle flip myself. My concern is, how will that design hold up to heavy loads. Anyone run the flip and have any problems with wieght?

before my dodge i had a 92 ford for wheelin, with sky manufacturing shackle flip in the rear and stock leafs, i cuold haul a cab full of people, box full of gear and a fullsize quad, while towing another fullsize f150 with full gear in the box. it did squat down a bit in the rear but worked awesome for what it was. unless your talking about huge loads its not bad to use.

bradshaw, are you saying that with a shackle flip, 6" shackle, and stock chevy 2wd 63" leafs, you were at stock height?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM

i myself dont haul anything more then people, camping gear, maybe a quad. so im hoping the half ton springs will work for me.

looking at using 4" ramcharger lift springs in front, shackle flip rear with chevy leafs, any idea the amount of lift in the spring i will need to equal a 4" lift in the front?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 AM

I have 2" skyjackers in the front and my truck sits pretty level. I used some junkyard springs, so that could be half of my problem..
I will try to snap a side view photo sometime today. Can't beat the ride but I want some beefier springs.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

is the rear shackle angle working for you? last truck i built had similar vertical shackle angle and i was told it should be angled back more towards 45*. i suppose your flex pics show it works just fine :P

rear shackle flip is mounted in stock hangar location?

front hangar is moved forward using top front bolt holt?

did you use the template from the monster suspension for the brackets?

and lastly im assuming the ride quality has increased alot? my stock gasser w350 is teeth jarring at anything more then 15kmh on logging roads and a handfull on any bumpy road.
The shackle angle you see is without the weight of the bed on it. With the bed and toolbox installed, the shackle is leaned back a little (maybe 20° or so). Spring rate changes with shackle angle, so the closer to vertical you can achieve, the softer the initial rate will be.

Yes, I used the templates off of the truck, and RCC info. I also found some other pictures on ramchargercentral that gave me just enough idea to fab my own.

The front hanger, I moved forward, and re-used the upper right hole. The rear hanger I moved backwards.

Ride quality has increased greatly. The rear actually rides softer than the front does with custom Alcans (but stock length). The longer leaf springs and shackle flip really do wonders for ride quality!

With these 63" leaves, you really need to use an 8" shackle to get all the travel out of them that they can offer.

I've not had any problems at all towing. The trailer below weighs 6,000 lbs empty, and the tractor weighs about 8,500. With the truck at 6,900, that brings total weight at over 21,000 lbs.

I actually hauled a load of wood that was a LOT heavier than this...and ended up ripping the bolts of the Class V hitch through the frame, and bending the back section of the frame. However, the shackle and suspension held up fine!

--Eric
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Dont mean to hijack the thread but while everyone is talking springs i have a question. My 92 W350 has a GM 14 bolt in it and it set about an inch offset to the rear (not centered in the fenderwell with the bed on). Does anybody know the dimensions in the overall length and from each end to the center bolt that bundles the leafs together unsprung (they are removed from the truck). Would like to fix this issue if I can determine exactly what the problem is. And also how many leafs do these trucks usually run mine has like 11 or 12 not sure if that is correct.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rrfarm
Dont mean to hijack the thread but while everyone is talking springs i have a question. My 92 W350 has a GM 14 bolt in it and it set about an inch offset to the rear (not centered in the fenderwell with the bed on). Does anybody know the dimensions in the overall length and from each end to the center bolt that bundles the leafs together unsprung (they are removed from the truck). Would like to fix this issue if I can determine exactly what the problem is. And also how many leafs do these trucks usually run mine has like 11 or 12 not sure if that is correct.
Right church, wrong pew.

You should probably start your own thread for this and the answers will come in for you.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Right church, wrong pew.

You should probably start your own thread for this and the answers will come in for you.

Thanks...done
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 AM

thanks for the replies to the questions! your truck looks awesome man.

how much further did you have to move the rear hangar? did you just eyeball and measure according to shackle angle?

did you need to lengthen drivelines front or rear?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 AM

lastly just to get ride height correct, how much lift are you running in the rear leafs? and do you have stock shackles on the front springs

Quick Reply: chevy leaf swap finished!