1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic brake pads

I just put a set of ceramic disc brake pads on my 92. I am gettin a wallowing in the front end when I put on the brakes. It wallows back and forth sometimes pretty bad. I am towing with er and it's not a warm fuzzy feeling. I didn't get it with the old pads just since I put on the ceramic pads. I checked the front end and everything is tight. No slop in any of the joints or connections.

Has anyone else tried ceramic brakes and if so did you have the same problem?

This is what I am thinking. I know the disks are warped a little. Heck they all are. I am thinkin the ceramic are less tolerant of the warping than regular brakes. I also think depending on the way the warps are one each rotor depends on the severity of the wallow. In other words if I make a turn the next time I apply the brakes they may wallow more or less depending on the position of the disks because of the changing position due to the radius of the turn. Hope you know what I mean.

Is it possible these new High Tech pads are not compatable with these old trucks??

Anyway anyone else have this problem with ceramic pads??

thanks for the help

thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use them all the time no problems ..Did you clean and lube the slides? are your back brakes adjusted up?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Back brakes are adjusted. I did that right after I put on the pads. I didn't lube anything when I installed the pads. I did wire brush the slides though. I didn't have any problems with the brakes until I put these pads on.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Gary, I know you've been over the steering linkage but have you taken a close look at the steering box mounting bracket and also the frame in that area? Spring hangers should be looked at too.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 PM

I just put new springs on the front about 6 months ago and it's been fine. This wallowing started right after I put on the new pads. It took a couple of days though. It does act like something loose in the steering though but it doesn't do anything until I apply the brakes. Its like the lopeing you get with a warped rotor but sideways not front to back. I can go over bumps and railroad crossings and its tight it just wallows when I apply the brakes.

I took the arm from the steering box and tried to shake it but it was tight also. I have not checked the steering box though. I know when I tried to shake the arm it box didn't move. I will in the morning.

Also remember it doesn't wallow the same all the time. Sometimes it's worse than others. Seems like when I make a turn the next time I apply the brakes the wallowing changes either better or worse.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
See if you can find a lovely assistant to work the wheel while you watch the motion under the truck. I'll bet you see something moving that shouldn't be.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 PM

I'll check it in the morning. The problem is we are in Vicksburg Ms. headin to Memphis in the morning. If i do find something movein I hope I can wrench it.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:51 PM

I found an assistant and took a looks see. Nope everything is tight. I checked to see if the box had moved at all and there is no indication of movement. I did drive about 400 miles today with the trailer and noticed that if I apply the brakes harder than normal it is better than just lightly pressing on the brakes. I dono.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am gonna lean towards warped rotors. My '93 drove 10 times better with new ones. I don't have ceramic pads, but had the same symptoms.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
One episode of hard braking can cause warped rotors.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Ok so your sayin the truck will take the ceramic pads I just have another problem. I think the disks are warped also. As a matter of fact I know they are warped to a degree. I am guessing the ceramic pads are not as tollerant than normal pads when it comes to warped disks.

Do you guys replace the disks or turn them? If you replace them what do they go for?

thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Its getting harder to find good rotors at parts stores. I would have them turned as long as they check out first. ( May already be to thin ) Lots of the newer cars and trucks the rotors can't be turned. They call that advancement????????
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Turn them, cheaper if they are still in spec for thickness...
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Ok thanks. I guess even if I got new ones they would have to be turned anyway.

Now the trick is to get another 800 miles or so down the road to get home to fix em.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by thumbs
Ok thanks. I guess even if I got new ones they would have to be turned anyway.

Now the trick is to get another 800 miles or so down the road to get home to fix em.
Yes Sir.. Have never put a dial gauge on a "NEW" set of rotors that ran straight..

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads