1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

CB In your first gen??? Where

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB In your first gen??? Where

I have had this rig for about 5 months, and am ready to install a cb radio, In my LR Disco, i installed an overhead for the cb, was near floor, and flooded truck off roading, and the cb sparked a bit, and is now, DEAD,,
Is there a good spot to install a cb radio in a first gen single cab, which wont need to be removed when i pull the dash apart, as i have several times since i bought it,,
Have you a pic????
Has anyone here built an overhead that doesn't interfere with the sun visors?
Just looking for some ideas as i sit and ponder where it will go
Thanks
Peter.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I have a small CB mounted below the dash towards the middle-right hand side drilled into plastic firewall part.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Chapter President

I mounted mine where the cigarette lighter/change holder thing was. Took it out and it fit quite nicley actually. I have this cb here.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

HTH
Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine overhead between the two sunvisors (over the rearview mirror.). It isn't hard, just takes a little time and some patience and being CAREFUL not to drill through the top of the cab. What I did was use my bracket to mark the holes, then took a small drill bit and very slowly drilled a hole in through the headliner and the first layer of sheet metal. (there are two layers there). Be careful doing this. After drilling the pilot holes, I used a toothpick to measure how far it was to the next piece of metal to be sure I used screws short enough that they wouldn't hurt anything. After mounting the bracket with screws, just run the coax and wire under the trim over to the CB. I removed the trim on the side near the floorboard, then the piece coming up the post of the cab on the right, and the piece across the top of the windshield. With a little effort it will all lay inside the trim and makes for a pretty good looking mount in my opinion. My CB has been there for 3 years and hasn't given me any trouble and hasn't gotten in my way.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 AM

gcliburn,,, Have you a pic?
Peter.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gcliburn
I installed mine overhead between the two sunvisors (over the rearview mirror.). It isn't hard, just takes a little time and some patience and being CAREFUL not to drill through the top of the cab. What I did was use my bracket to mark the holes, then took a small drill bit and very slowly drilled a hole in through the headliner and the first layer of sheet metal. (there are two layers there). Be careful doing this. After drilling the pilot holes, I used a toothpick to measure how far it was to the next piece of metal to be sure I used screws short enough that they wouldn't hurt anything. After mounting the bracket with screws, just run the coax and wire under the trim over to the CB. I removed the trim on the side near the floorboard, then the piece coming up the post of the cab on the right, and the piece across the top of the windshield. With a little effort it will all lay inside the trim and makes for a pretty good looking mount in my opinion. My CB has been there for 3 years and hasn't given me any trouble and hasn't gotten in my way.
Diddo. Just put your bracket up there and drill, its not hard. I used very small self tappers. I then ran the, power wires, speaker wire and dual antenna coax through the plastic trim strip down the A pillar. I used one of the screws on the a pillar for my ground(behind the trim panel), and ran the power under the dash. Then with your coax, I looped mine from the bottom of the trim panel, up and out of the wing then to my Antenna mounted on the mirror, one on each side. My speaker is mounted on the dash above the center passenger vent.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 PM

Well, I installed a small CB on the roof of the cab, Just infront of the cab light, The 89 has no pillar trim, and i found in my other truck, that i like the speaker above me so i can hear it,, I cant see this one in the rear view, which is good,, no extra lights, and installed a twin fire sticks, then stuck the old SWR meter, and tuned the set,,, was at 3, now down to 1, excellent,,, tuning the antennae makes all the difference in the world!
Thank you all for your suggestions,
I will try and post 2 pics here now.
[img]cb1[/img]
[img]cb2[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 01:49 PM

I mounted mine on the front face of the center console. (FACING UP OF COURSE)
Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 PM

I mounted mine right on top of the dash over the heat controls with velcro. Works great. I just put a towel over it to keep the sun off.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Chapter President

To bring this back up here is a pic of whre mine is at...

Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammer64
I mounted mine on the front face of the center console. (FACING UP OF COURSE)
Same thing,I was too lazy to run wires up over the mirror and keep the antenna lead buried.If I didn't have a console I would probably mount it to the roof by the visors.