1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cautious

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I add 1 quort of 2 stroke motor oil at every fill up, and if i dont i see a bigg differnce in milage. Welcom to the DTR
Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the sounds of it, with white smoke at idle and poor mileage.

Timing needs to be advanced a little. Like 1/8 past the factory mark will usually net 1-2mpg if you drive good
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KD93
I remember Dave Wannadiesel saying that the John Deere fuel additive, (can't remember the name) was the best stuff, but everyone has their preference.
Wasn't me, I've never tried that brand.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Wasn't me, I've never tried that brand.
Sorry Dave, my apologies. Geez, I've just been getting it all wrong here lately. Getting Ritchie-O and Bruiser mixed up with the 2nd/3rd gen mirror upgrade/swap, now thinking Wanna is saying things he didn't say. I think I need a rest.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 AM

I highly doubt it's our 40 horse injectors. My DDP III's (about a 40 horse injector) gave me BETTER mileage. Most people see better mileage from these newer design injectors. My SLOPPY torque converter still yeilds 17mpg for me with an auto and its a dually.

I have some white smoke at idle too. I'm suspecting a slight air in fuel leak on that one.

You don't have 4.10 axles do you?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

sloppy converter and 4.10 gear ratio would be a good combo for poor mileage; but if everything remains the same with new pump and 40 hp injectors?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 AM

What size tire was stock on that truck....if the new tire is considerably bigger than stock and you haven't recalibrated speedometer then it will look like you are getting crappier milage than what you really are! And mudders have more rolling resistance than streets!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hounddogks76
What size tire was stock on that truck....if the new tire is considerably bigger than stock and you haven't recalibrated speedometer then it will look like you are getting crappier milage than what you really are! And mudders have more rolling resistance than streets!
Yes!!! i totally forgot about this, the odometer could be spinning less therefore making you think you are getting less miles to a tank!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
GPS is a good way to test. Just make sure it is running whenever you drive for the tank, record the miles, and then fill the tank to see how many gallons you used.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM

The last fill up gave me around 12.7 mpg Hey but thanks to all of your suggestions and comments. I guess worrying and dwelling on this stuff is redicoulous.I'm just gonna drive the heck out of this power ram the old saying says if its not broke don't fix it!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Well, I might be full of bull, but the cause of the milage problem is probably your auto trans/converter. Of course all the guys that are getting this milage ( 20-25 ) probably keep the loud pedal off the floor. Oh,by the way, Great looking truck.......
Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Last trip I took I got 22-23 mpg. I get 16 in the city, and this is with a stock tranny and TC, mild pump mods, and banks 3.5 exhaust.

White smoke.... hmmmm.....sounds like timing or running too cold. JMO
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM

There is only white smoke and cold idle clears up when warm or when your cruising. My thought was the 40 hp injectors are giving to much unburnt fuel at idle.I talked to the older guy that I bought the truck from and told him I upgraded injectors and he told me that he already had forty horses in there, so I'm not sure if stock injectors puff a little or not. I also bought a new thermostat today, just don't like where the temp sits when its running. It just seems to cold and that will affect performance. Where do all of your temp gauges run? and back to this air cleaner deal stock or performance?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM

To each his own, but I have K&N in mine. I don't drive in dusty conditions much either. As far as temp gauge, mine runs almost at the second line empty and between halfway and the third line towing 8k. It's pretty flat down here though. No hills to speak of. But your temp gauge isn't always trustworthy. Best indicator is a manual gauge.

Have you opened up the stock airbox? The airflow is pretty restrictive even with open element filters. Most guys either drill a bunch of holes in them, or go aftermarket or homemade. I'd imagine that would be part of the problem. I cut a bunch of squares out of mine, but left enough structure to keep it all together.

As far as injectors, all VE pumps put out a puff of black smoke at startup. Part of the design. I think your upgrades would add a little to that.

Hope all this helps.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Hunter
Hey All, sorry I haven't been on since last October was to busy chasing waterfowl The truck is running great probably to good!! The only thing new are the toyo muds 285/75/16 and rims. I'm only getting 13 mpgthe new pump is stock. Do you guys think the 40hp injectors and the new tire size would do this? I think a K&N will help what do you think??? or new turbo??
When I first got mine, I was pulling the horse trailer (two horses) and getting 17.7hwy and about 16city. Empty at best, I was getting 19mpg on the hwy. Seven almost 8 years later and 309,000km's (190,000+miles) my mileage has dropped to 13 city and 16 highway. These 1st gen's with the auto are worse with the automatic especially in the winter cold because of the O/D...TPS issues. Without that O/D kicking in, it sures beats the $hit out of the mileage. I also wish I didn't have 4:10 gears either
"BUT I'LD STILL TAKE a 1st GEN ANYDAY BEFORE I WASTE MY MONEY ON A POWERJOKE" The Duramax has their issues too, but nothing like the problems Ford has with their diesels.
Food for thought folks....... Why is it that you can buy Ford/Cummins swap kits or Chev/Cummins swap kits, but you'll never see Ford/Duramax or Chev/Powerstroke swap kits?
Answer........ CUMMINS is just plain "BETTER"

And you'll never see Dodge/Powerstroke or Dodge/Duramax because Dodge/Cummins is already the "BEST" combination.

Quick Reply: Cautious