1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

The carnage inside the pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The carnage inside the pump

Hey all,

From the other other head about my injection pump, I looked at my disassembled pump this morning to find out why the shop wanted $1700 to rebuild it. No pictures yet. Keep in mind this is a Cummins reman pump I installed with Daniel Puckett in Oct. 2005. A local shop in Nashville turned up the fuel to make it 10% hot around March 2006.

* (2) rollers were worn (opposite). They explained that at Cummins, or some other time, the rollers had been replaced because they were 2 piece not 3 piece like original rollers. They showed me the difference.
* Cam plate worn from roller wear
* Advance piston stuck in housing

I believe everything else was in good condition, i.e. springs. The housing was in good condition, no major scoring, etc other than the fact that the advance piston was stuck. They believed the piston was stuck from metal from the rollers and the housing and piston would be damaged beyond reuse based on another pump they showed me. However, they did not spend any effort to separate the 2 parts.

I asked them about the delivery valves because #2 was hanging open. They said they took them apart and they slide and work fine but that one of them was hanging from metal but showed fine once disassembled.

Here's the kicker. They asked me if I had turned up the fuel because that was the most likely cause of roller wear. I said the only 2 people to adjust the pump were Cummins and you. They removed the Cummins tamper proof seals and installed their own.

What do you all think???

They planned to order a housing and piston and cam plate among other things. I talked to a shop that has housings from Bosch VE44 pumps used in the logging industry and the local shop cautioned that the piston might be different or may not fit the housing. I am going to talk to the other shop again and possibly one or two shops.

For right now I left the pump at the local shop pending a final decision on a rebuilder.

Brian
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM

I thing that you could get a reman for less then that, or a good used on!

It's been rebuild once and it failed vary vary early!!!!!!! ether the one that rebuilt it didn't do it right or there is just some thing that just isn't right about it, and i would start with a diff pump!

I'm no pump expert(so this opinion is useless) but that kind of wair......after a fresh bebuild......you would have had to punch holes in you fuel filter and pour dirt in the fuel tank! JMO.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM

re: Getting another pump. The pump that was on the truck was supposedly rebuilt and it had a sticking guide pin in the AFC housing. So I figured something wasn't right and opted to get a totally different pump. And I still had problems.... the Cummins reman pump was not adjusted correctly, the idle was obviously wrong.

re: Fuel filters. There have been 2 used with this pump and each was cut open after it was changed and nothing out of the ordinary was seen. The most recent filter was darker than the previous, but no holes or other noticable failures. Both were changed aroudn 17K in the filter. I use mostly good truck stop diesel.

Brian
Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it was a lousy rebuild.

Do you run any sort of fuel additive?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:20 PM

I'm with Dave. I'm sending mine to Schied's. I think they know what they are doing
Old 11-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Generally I do not run additives. I am starting to think it was a lousy rebuild as well. Since the rollers have been changed, they were probably done at Cummins rebuild time. Maybe the cam plate should have been changed but was not and caused the new rollers to get tore up.

I'm also slightly suspicious of the shop I took the pump too, because they did not even bother to try to separate the advance piston from the housing. Even if the advance piston becomes slightly gouged, or the housing, how much is acceptable before the parts need to be replaced? The shop with the used parts said if the parts slide easy then they are probably fine for reuse. The guy told me they've never really had to change a housing. He said all their pumps are rebuilt as 190 HP units and they don't have comebacks with their 1 yr / unlimited miles warranty.

Brian
Old 11-02-2006, 12:11 AM

No tampering with the pump for a year!!!!

Boy that will be tuff
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 AM

Yep, www.scheiddiesel.com. About half of your posted price.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
You can get brand new at piers diesel research for $1375.00, not rebuilt.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Piers lists them but they are not available. I've already been through it with them last year and then again this year.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I just recieved an email back from Josh at piers and he said they do have the stock VE pumps.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:40 PM

rylons,

Last week when I called they said haven't had 'em for years. I just called after reading your email and Mark answered the phone and verified with Josh, that No, they don't have any - must have been a misunderstanding.

Regards,
Brian
Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM

Have you called Scheid's? (800) 669-1593
Old 11-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Bill,

I was hoping to get the pump rebuilt without having to ship it but it became pretty clear it wasn't going to be easy or cheap. Sheid's may be local to you but its not for me. This morning I bit the bullet and sent the pump off to a far away land for rebuilding.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-03-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by blueberry
Bill,

I was hoping to get the pump rebuilt without having to ship it but it became pretty clear it wasn't going to be easy or cheap. Sheid's may be local to you but its not for me. This morning I bit the bullet and sent the pump off to a far away land for rebuilding.

Thanks,
Brian
Scheid's isn't local to you?? No kiddin?

I mention them as I figured you'd have to send off your pump for a rebuild. I hope you didn't send it north of the border. Seems to me, Scheid being one of the top engine and pump builders, it would be a no brainer. I don't mention them just because they are local. If I was in Outer Mongolia, I'd send my pump to Scheid's for a rebuild. I hope you get another 'good' one.

Quick Reply: The carnage inside the pump